★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Desperately seeking for real games

10-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Desperately seeking for real games

Ok, I'm pissed. Several times a day I take a look the the appshopper rss feeds with new apps or price drops and everything I get are apps like "Mr Munchy". This sucks deeply. The iPhone and iPod touch are such nice platforms that are capable of so much more than just single games which clone every single minigame from Wario Ware Twisted or Touched! - and even these were more fun than the single copies we have.

No more puzzles!

No more minigames!

THE APPSTORE HAS THEM ALL!

Give us real games! Give us something which isn't finished in under five minutes with the "top feature" of a highscore list! I have over 250 apps/games in my iTunes and most of them are crap. Stuff you start, look at, smile gently, have fun for five minutes and then you remove it because the replay value is zero, at most.

Dear Gameloft, I love most of your games. They are fun and keep you entertaining for hours, keep up the good work!

Dear EA, it's nice to see that you announced Need for Speed and Sim City. I hope these games will not be small ones like Sim City on the DS, but real games.

Dear Atari, thanks for Missile Command, which is great and makes real fun if you have to work at night and get a huge pa in your office.

Dear... Wait. Who's left? Oh no, I mentioned them all!

Square Enix, where are you? Where's Final Fantasy? Where's Dragon Quest? Where's Kingdom Hearts?

Intelligent Systems, where is Fire Emblem?

Ensemble Studios, where is Age of Empires?

Blizzard, where is Starcraft? Warcraft? Diablo?

Lucasart, where's Star Wars Battlefield? X-Wing? Tie Fighter? Rebel Assault?

Ubisoft, where's Settlers? Driver?

Where's anybody?

The iPhone will be sold about 23 million times at the end of 2008. Plus the iPod touch. The PSP has only been sold 41 million times! At the end of 2009 the iPhone and iPod touch will be at a minimum of 50 million devices! Regarding the develeping time of a "real" game, you have to start now. WHERE ARE YOU?

I WOULD PAY 20 Euros or more for a real game - like I do on other mobile gaming platforms!

If you aren't interested in creating new titles for us, take DOSBox, put some touch/mouse-emulating layer on it and give us the old titles like Psycho Pinball, Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Day of the Tentacle, X-Wing, Wing Commander etc. etc. etc. You just have to create the binding from tilting and touch control to mouse/joystick movements!

Bah.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Oliver, this question's been asked various times. I too asked that once, but saw it in a post, with various reasons.

1.The appstore has only been here since July, it needs time.
2. The current price cap is 9.99 or 5.99 pounds, which in most large companies eyes, is unprofitable. The cost of artists, musicians etc will all accumalate to alot of money. Once this price cap has been breached (with a decent app, unlike that star invader thing), with decent responses, then companies will be more encouraged to launch large apps.

Those are 2 of the main reasons i can think of. I for one, would love to see a heroes:might and magic port trust me, with the announcement of EA's need for speed and Simcity, the appstore will grow. Hopefully, they decide to charge more than 9.99, and problem 2 will be solved.

10-23-2008, 06:39 AM
yah i agree beacause even games that are currently getting 5 stars from most ppl like fieldrunners or reign of swords contain such a little amount of towers or units... thats it!
there has been 0 games so far that have satisfied me for over a week.

Last edited by junkster08; 10-23-2008 at 06:50 AM.
10-23-2008, 07:08 AM
I love HUGE RANT threads.
10-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
I love HUGE RANT threads.
Me too Duhhhhh (it said my message was to short )
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Prices are where they are because of content, not interest. Who would pay $40 or $50 for a stripped down port or mini game? There are pleny of utilities that cost over $20, and some in the $100 or more range. Give people a reason to drop that kind of cash, and they will.

My guess is that we need to give it time. A decent controller add-on needs to be created, and dev teams need to start creating games that are 250-500 megs in size.

I believe actual games are still a good year away.
10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
A couple of months ago, I heard Europa Universalis was coming to iphone. Haven't checked it up recently and don't have time, but I think it was more than a rumor.
10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
harmmm, i agree. some more involved games would be nice. hopefully its just the fact that its relatively new and developers haven't had time to make the games that you are looking for...
10-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Prices are where they are because of content, not interest. Who would pay $40 or $50 for a stripped down port or mini game? There are pleny of utilities that cost over $20, and some in the $100 or more range. Give people a reason to drop that kind of cash, and they will.

My guess is that we need to give it time. A decent controller add-on needs to be created, and dev teams need to start creating games that are 250-500 megs in size.

I believe actual games are still a good year away.
I strongly agree that people would be willing to pay top dollar, for top quality games, not ports or stripped versions. Spore for instance, is a quarter of the PC game, so it shouldn't sell for the same price, but if it was the exact same (complete) game as the PC version, I think people would have gladly payed the same price.
Totally agree that we just need to have good reason to spend over $10. As they say, build it and they will come....
We could totally use some games that are bigger in size, that's for sure. Not sure why everyone is competing to keep them so small....it's just limiting what we get

I'm personally not sold on a controller add-on. My opinion is that by adding a controller, we're taking away what makes our device so unique. Of course, my opinion could potentially change if the controller add-on works beautifully and brings gaming to a new level, but as a concept, I'd prefer no controller add-on and only use the touch and tilt interface...
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Quake!! Bring a shooter.