★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Zombigotchi

10-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Just spotted this new app by some old friends and noticed it hadn't been mentioned on TA. Check out the videos.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
oh boy.

That first video is awesome, may be picking this up now.

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.

Last edited by iphoneprogrammer; 10-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.

10-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the post Glenn

Ooh by the way, more info and stuff here

Last edited by chill3d; 10-26-2010 at 04:54 PM.
10-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi Scott,
Many thanks for your reply any your interesting points.
Ok so our goal in making Zombigotchi was to give the user some fun. We are trying to market him as a digital toy rather than a game as we feel that though there are some gamelike elements (and of course unlockable content) you don't have a score or an ultimate endgame that would hook you into the game loop.
Our target audience I guess is the 9-15 age group though we hope the humour reaches everyone.
If you have played zombi long enough to gather half the cards you should have, by now, ulocked various character skins and the 2 extra game/toy elements (look in sub games and skins in the menu to check)
If you have any suggestions on what you feel you would like to have in a toy like this to make it more complete experience I would be interested in any ideas, we really want to use player feedback to help improve Zombigotchi
Cheers again

Last edited by chill3d; 10-27-2010 at 01:23 AM.
10-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Original Idea

I haven't gotten a chance to get my hands on this yet, still waiting for my voucher and will pick it up as soon as it arrives - but thank you to the developers for making such an original idea

just a random question but what do you have planned for updates ?

Is it possible in a future update to incorporate a training facility, like old school Digimon where you make him/her train, do weights, jog etc, weapon training and then you can make your lil guy fight other peoples zombigotchi or in like an arena? Gamecenter and Openfeint are the new rage, and I hope you can take this idea much much further because it has so much potential

And can he evolve perhaps ? and then people can compare their lil creatures with one another, add clothes etc. There is also a possibility for in app purchases for those who want cool costumes and stuffs, or unlockable through challenges

You have a world at your fingertips, I am so excited to see where you take it
10-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Everything you did in your montages are ideal, and very creative. How about putting those in the game? It would be amazing!

People IM A GUY! Jan is a guys name, where I live. Haha crazy!
10-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Downloaded this about an hour ago and have been playing with it since.

I like a lot of the ideas theunis suggested a couple of posts above, especially the ones that would make this more like a vitrual pet than the toy you were aiming to create. However, the "gotchi" suffix in the title suggest (to me at least) that this was a virtual pet and that there would be some sort of growth and interactions with it would be more meaningful, for example; there is another virtual pet game for iOS devices I used to 'play' where if you neglected to feed your fish for 5 days it would die. I guess being a zombie he is already dead but you get the idea.

The lack of these features to create some attachment and a longer lasting appeal to the game/toy do give a bit of an "is this it?" feel, as scott suggested.

I'd also love to see Retina support for those with newer devices. Definitely not a deal breaker but seeing the jaggies always leaves me a little disappointed.

As the app is at the moment I have no regrets paying 2.49AUD for it (seriously, it's just a bag of chips or a drink) but I was a little hesitant at first and feel that a 0.99USD(1.19AUD) price would probably get you more sales (again mentioned by ScottColbert)

Criticisms aside, the zombie is adorable and the animations and sound are great. Got a few giggles and smiles out of me already in the short time I've spent with it.
10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
zombigotchi - the future

Hi Guys

thanks for the kind words and suggestions and comments, we plan to release more skins shortly for the zombigotchi and an update for retina display is heading to app store pending approval... more outfits ways to interact are all possible of course

as chill3d mentioned we were really aiming to make people laugh and hopefully 'like' the character..we wanted get one character to emote before we tried anything too complicated..the single environment of the cage...was a bit of a lead on to hopefully letting people share/release their zombis in the future...i like the idea of having them evolve...or perhaps decay.. ..

thanks for comments and do keep them coming..we are very much finding our feet with this our first app/toy/game regards price/market etc so listen keenly to all advice and comments...
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Hi fb1

Its very true what you saying.

One thing I noticed was I had no idea you fantastic app was out to be honest. A number of my friends use Appspy, and unfortunately they to didn't know about the app. I hope you will expand on this idea, it seems a lot of time has been spent creating a solid foundation for future developements.

It would be cool to get a review on Toucharcade, to let more people know about your app, and get the chance to see your video (which will help sell your game quite easily on its own )

Below is the link of AppSpy, its nothing compared to TouchArcade but hey more publicity is never a bad thing
http://www.appspy.com/zombigotchi-review, I clicked the "request a review" for the app, so that the game can get more publicity and hopefully lots of sales, so that I can see this app grow in the way I believe it can. I'm only one person, but I'm sure if everyone helps ...

Anyways fb1 - great app, my girlfriend hasn't given my phone back yet since seeing th lil guy lol and to GlennX thanks for creating thread, else I wouldn't of known about it
10-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by fb1 View Post
...or perhaps decay.. ..
That sounds like an awesome idea, much better than growing/evolving.

I downloaded this again on my partner's old iPod touch (2nd gen 8gb). There have been a couple of freezes, mostly when we were tapping things before the next action was ready ('greyed' out icons). Might just be because the iPod is ancient and almost full, no issues on my 4th gen.

It would also be nice if the skins had different voices and reacted differently to actions. Again, not a huge issue, but I have spotted one reaction with a skin that was very out of place (see attachment).

Keep up the good work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	25002  

Last edited by spleen; 10-27-2010 at 11:11 PM.