★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chromix is released

10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Chromix is released

Hi
My first iPhone game CHROMIX is finally released on AppStore, here is the link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293911787&mt=8

The game is based on match-three, BUT gameplay mechanics is very different from anything you've seen.
You can freely drag items (I call them chroma-cells) on the screen, wherever you want. Also, there is some ambient movement, and the cells are affected by gravity, so it feels kind of like playing with a pool of live creatures.

There are three game modes - in two of them (one with time pressure, another relaxed) you group cells of the same color together by dragging them. As soon as you get 3 or more - the group starts to blink, and will collapse in couple seconds. This gives you chance to drag more cells of the color there - the bigger group when collapsed, the higher score you get. Then new cells are spawned, and so on. Believe it or not - it actually can get quite tactical - you can prepare little sub-groups, then with couple moves join them all and collapse all cells of the color on the board.

In the last game mode you just need to put all the same colors together - nothing collapses, so basically it's about making big groups on the playground - the faster you manage, the better score you get.

The game is really dynamic - you do have to try it to feel it

I would really appreciate any comments, feedback, ect.

update: Seems like some people get scared by screenshots, so just wanted to mention: all the graphics in the game is real-time generated. Everything is very dynamic, shapes change, things move, all reacts on your actions, gravity, etc.
On screenshots it looks like a simple flat picture, but when played, it feels very different - it's alive.
I will post a move soon,

Last edited by kirill; 10-24-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: updating
10-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Just downloaded it.

Thanks for letting me know. I love these types of puzzles.
Bill.

10-23-2008, 10:11 AM
The touch three thing has gotten pretty old, but our game did catch my attention. Once in a while a good one comes out that isn't the standard matching blocks game.

I was looking for a video of when it came it but couldn't find anything. That'd really help people decide to buy I think. I might get it anyhow. Thanks for the info.
10-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
The touch three thing has gotten pretty old, but our game did catch my attention. Once in a while a good one comes out that isn't the standard matching blocks game.
I'm telling you, it's pretty much like nothing you've played before.
And it's only $0.99
10-23-2008, 11:51 AM
It doesnt work on my 1rst gen ipod touch!!!!!! D:
10-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunawrap View Post
oh yeah this seems to be happening a lot now, from maze finger to topple to this game...
it says "compatible with iPhone and iPod touch (2nd generation)"
reason? or is it a mistake, like with topple and maze finger?
10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill View Post
I'm telling you, it's pretty much like nothing you've played before.
And it's only $0.99
It looks like something straight outta microsoft paint, no offense. But I'm not spending my 1.05 (w/ tax for me..) on it.
10-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunawrap View Post
Kirill needs to fix the metadata to correct this
10-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAzy Che3To View Post
It looks like something straight outta microsoft paint, no offense.
Yes, I see your point.
Just want to say - it is not "cheap programmer art". All the stuff on screen is created in realtime, so the playground is very dynamic - the shapes change and move smoothly and everything is affected by your moves.
10-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
Kirill needs to fix the metadata to correct this
Thanks Mek, will do it.