★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: IslandJohn.com
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 12.9 MB
  • Version: 1.5.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Put yourself in control of creating flight paths for one of mother natures top aeronauts: bumble bees. Your mission is to flourish the colony. You can raceagainst time, or fight for survival! Experience what its like to live a day in the life of these striped stingers. How good are you at managing to keep your beesand flowers alive?

148Apps Review: 4.5/5 Stars - "BRILLIANT"
"Its inexpensive and its fun. What more could you need? Flight Control has got some serious competition." - Jennifer Allen, 148Apps

FEATURES:
- Two modes: "Worker" for survival, or "Queen" for timed
- Three worlds to explore with 9 levels each, and more to come!
- OpenFeint and GameCenter leaderboards and achievements
- Great graphics, music and sound effects

Use strategy and tactical decisions to wisely navigate your cast of colorful characters, in a race against the clock or battle for survival, to make honey, keep flowers blooming, andavoid obstacles. Explore the Marvelous Meadow, Impressive Island, or Majestic Mountain colony on your way to the top of the ranks.

CHOOSE YOUR BEE!
Are you a hard worker or queen bee? Choose between Worker to fight for survival, or Queen to race against the clock!

FLY!
Draw the flight path for your aeronauts carefully. It's your colony, so redraw or extend at your will.

POLLINATE!
Take your bee friends on a flighty adventure through the flowers, and collect as much nectar as you can.

BEE CAREFUL!
Pesky spiders aim to intercept you on your way back to the hive. Not sweet! No worries though, drone bees are around to provide assistance.

BEE-WARE THE ELEMENTS!
Rain showers can really slow down your bees and wind currents will speed you up. Don't crash into your co-workers ahead or behind.

AWESOME SCENERY!
Choose from different colonies, each with many different flowers and levels. Where will your bees make their home?

LISTEN UP!
Play along to the sound of a jazzy version of Flight of The Bumblebee and listen to all the crisp sound effects, or play your own music within the game.

BEE THE BEST!
Unlock achievement and compete against your friends through OpenFeint or GameCenter to get higher scores.

LordGek's comments:
While I have yet to try this version, the iPhone Lite version of this was pretty cool.

The general gist of the game being need to coordinate the flight of several bees so as to pollinate multiple flowers and then return to the hive to make honey. Having one bee hit multiple flowers on your way back to the hive (and if I understand it right, preferably of the same variety for pollination purposes) and you'll make MANY more points than if you just hit those same flowers one at a time. Once you have multiple bees trying to hit multiple flowers coming in from different angles things can get pretty hairy! Not to mention that later levels include multiple flower types, deadly spiders, wind currents, and other twists to make your life as a bee much harder!

If still a bit hesitant there is the iPhone Lite version to try out to get a basic feel for what to expect gameplay wise:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bee-patrol-lt/id399113239?mt=8
10-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Nice

10-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Cannot find it in eu store...
10-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaxl View Post
Cannot find it in eu store...
All three versions

Bee Patrol
Bee Patrol HD
Bee Patrol LT

Seem to have been pulled...perhaps the dev is modifying the entries as they did JUST go up at some point last night.

No clue but I assume the links will be good if and when they do come back up.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
All three versions

Bee Patrol
Bee Patrol HD
Bee Patrol LT

Seem to have been pulled...perhaps the dev is modifying the entries as they did JUST go up at some point last night.

No clue but I assume the links will be good if and when they do come back up.
They are back up!

My iTunes Reviews
10-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,

Here are some gameplay videos: (sped up)

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up
10-28-2010, 10:39 AM
For those curious they appear to have made videos of the first 9 levels on their own channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/islandjohncom

What I found most interesting is quickly scanning the opening comments of each of the levels as they explain the newly introduced elements like wind, rain, spiders, drones, restricted flowers, moving flowers, and basic gameplay elements!

My iTunes Reviews
10-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Game Impressions

While I only got to play the first level or so of the lite so far, I like it!

What at first appears to be merely "Bee Control" (yeah as opposed to planes and runways we have bees and flowers...) but there is more to it than that!

The bees will fly in from off screen and their objective is to gather up as much pollen as they can before dumping it off in the hive.

The bees not only have to worry about not bumping into each other (like any other line drawer), but there is the game within the game about keeping the flowers healthy (they're continuously fading and only by having a bee fly over from a same typed flower will keep it healthy). On top of all of this is the fact that there are spiders trying to snag you, your bee can only live so long outside of the hive (your bee is continuously fading and only a visit to a Green Drone Bee or going back to the hive can save them). If bees collide or flowers are allowed to die you the player take a score penalty. Once too many of these accidents occur the level ends and as long as you hit the target score and time you can move onto the next map (this is all the Worker Bee Mode, not sure how play works in the time based Queen Bee Mode).

My iTunes Reviews
10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Awesome graphics! Nice trailer/gameplay vids too.

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!
10-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Game Impressions

I have no idea why the post has a bunch of randomly placed "*" in it!

Here is my iTunes review:

Very impressive game here!

You guide bees from flower to flower and then back to the hive to drop off your collected pollen. *You actually have two separate but all important tasks in this game you're resolving simultaneously with your bees. *

Every flower you visit nets you some pollen that you'll want to bring back to the hive. *Each flower hit on a bee's flight from the hive but before returning will net you progressively more points once you do eventually return to the hive (2 bees visiting 2 flowers before returning to the hive is not worth as much as 1 bee hitting 2 flowers on a single run).

At the same time the game rewards you for pollinating flowers (hitting the center area of a flower and then hitting that same central area with another same typed flower). *Each landing done in this manner scores you more pollen points even if just flying back and forth between the same two flowers and is vital to keeping flowers from fading away (this isn't just bad karma but will result in a massive point penalty if you let any flowers die). *Adding to all of this is the fact that bees only have a certain amount of time they can exist outside of the hive (just like the flowers, they can fade away after a while) and are only allowed back in the hive once they've gathered at least one flower's pollen. *Allowing bees to collide outside of the hive not only kills them, but also penalizes your pollen score.

The game offers 3 Colonies (the game's term for separate 9 level campaigns of successively more difficult levels that can only be unlocked by completing the previous level), with each of these Colonies offering their own flavor of challenges (moving flowers, spiders, and other twists await you). *Each of these Colony set of levels can be played two different ways, Worker or Queen.

Worker Mode has you pollinating flowers and gathering as much pollen as you can for as long as you can with all of these ever increasing number of bees flying onto the screen until you lose too many workers and the level ends. *If you do well enough and meet the level's objective you can move onto the next level.

Queen Mode has the same basic objectives of pollinating and gathering pollen but in the Queen mode's case you need to acheive a certain amount of pollen in a given amount of time and only have the colony of workers you started the level with to complete your task.

Finally your ending score on any level might be a little disorienting as it doesn't even appear to directly correlate to the level's ending pollen count. *The devs explained this to me as actually being based on the amount of pollen you'd gathered over time. *While straight forward enough for the Queen Mode, this calculation is cleverly tweaked in Worker Mode so that if you can keep the bees going past the level's required minimum time, every bit of pollen you collect is worth more than normal and the penalties for letting flowers or bees die are less!

I love how they took the simple line drawing concepts of Flight Cocntrol but morph them into an elaborate eco-system with the bees need to balace their trips back to the hive along with carefully planning their trips between like flowers to keep them alive. *So unlike a game like Flight Control where your only mission is to guide the planes to their appropriate runways, here the devs leave it up to you to figure out how you'd like to manage your bees for a maximum score.

My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 10-30-2010 at 05:00 PM.