★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: This... is... BLOCKTACULAR!!!!!!!

AWARDS

Mashable Awards Finalist for Best Mobile Game

BestAppEver Finalist for Best Puzzle Game, Best Casual Game & Best Game Controls

Wiley Game App Challenge Runner-up

REVIEWS

"If Bejeweled and Tetris had a baby, this game would be it. ... All in all this game will keep you entertained for hours. Buy it. 9.5/10" -@thegrapejuice

DESCRIPTION

Swap adjacent blocks to create groups of four or more matching colored blocks; the more you swap, the more blocks go pop!

A refreshingly simple color-matching game, Blocktacular adds another layer of fun by using four orientations of the iDevice.

Turn your iDevice clockwise or counterclockwise to add more blocks into play and keep the excitement going as long as possible!

Wreak havoc by stringing together various combos or rombos of block demolitions. See how long you can keep them going!

Use multi-swapping to elevate your skills to the next level!

Blocktacular has a total of five fantastically energetic game modes (blackout, whiteout, survival, collection and endless), each with a particular entertaining challenge!

FEATURES

Listen to and control your music while you play
Resume your game after an interruptions
Advertisement Free
Easy to pick up and play
Hint button for when you get stuck
Fresh and innovative game mechanics
Addictive replayability
Five unique game modes
Accelerometer used as a game input
Multi-swapping eases moving long distances
Block destruction highlighting
Track and improve your best records
Indie developers :)

NOTICE: Blackout is the only playable game mode with this free version of Blocktacular. Other games modes are available via in-app purchase.

Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/blocktacular
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/evilBlueStudios

csjones's comments:

Trailers:

IGF Trailer
Features

Description:

This... is... BLOCKTACULAR!!!!!!!

Swap adjacent blocks to create groups of four or more matching colored blocks; the more you swap, the more blocks go pop! A refreshingly simple color-matching game, Blocktacular adds another layer of fun by taking into consideration four orientations of the device. Turn your device clockwise or counterclockwise to add more blocks into play and keep the excitement going as long as possible! Wreak havoc by stringing together various combos (and double rombos... all the way... across the screen) of block demolitions. Go for the longest combo! Use multi-swapping to take your Blocktacular skills to the next level. Blocktacular has a total of five fantastically energetic game modes (blackout, whiteout, beat swaps, collection and endless), each with a particular entertaining challenge!

Features:

+ New Feature! Added a hint button to be used when the screen is full of blocks
+ Fresh and innovative game mechanics
+ AD Free
+ Addictive re-playability
+ Five unique game modes
+ Accelerometer used as a game input
+ Multi-swapping makes moving blocks over long distances easy
+ Block destruction highlighting
+ Track and improve your best records
+ Listen to and control your music while you play
+ Resume your game after an interruptions
+ Easy to pick up and play
+ Indie developers
10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Game Impressions

I just grabbed it and have to admit, although a fairly minimalistic presentation, there are some clever original bits in this block grouper as well as original game modes that have you really have to think out of the box (like in the Whiteout mode where you are desperately trying NOT to make groups of four since they'll kill the very fragile bonus pieces you are trying to fill the board with).

I do have a dis, however, and that is that of the game's 5 modes, only two have definite loss conditions whereas the others just go on endlessly (you can get to a point where it will be all but impossible to complete the level's objective, but still they never end). I'm also a bit annoyed that there is only one mode that keeps anything like a traditional score which is the Endless mode and, for obvious reasons, they don't even bother to track your best score since there is NO WAY you can lose in this mode (there aren't even level objectives).

So my plea in an update!
-Give some of those existing modes like Whiteout and Collection some loss states (preferably not based on time).
-Add a new mode like Endless (in so much as there is a score involved) called Survival that has some definite way to lose like play as long as you can until 20 stars have been collected. The trick here being that while cascades are still the way to big points you'd want to be careful that too many stars are caught up in one or the whole game would end.

Thanks for hearing me out!

4/5

(weirdness, I can't add my review for it on iTunes)

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 10-29-2010 at 01:09 PM.
10-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I just grabbed it and have to admit, although a fairly minimalistic presentation, there are some clever original bits in this block grouper as well as original game modes that have you really have to think out of the box (like in the Whiteout mode where you are desperately trying NOT to make groups of four since they'll kill the very fragile bonus pieces you are trying to fill the board with).

I do have a dis, however, and that is that of the game's 5 modes, only two have definite loss conditions whereas the others just go on endlessly (you can get to a point where it will be all but impossible to complete the level's objective, but still they never end). I'm also a bit annoyed that there is only one mode that keeps anything like a traditional score which is the Endless mode and, for obvious reasons, they don't even bother to track your best score since there is NO WAY you can lose in this mode (there aren't even level objectives).

So my plea in an update!
-Give some of those existing modes like Whiteout and Collection some loss states (preferably not based on time).
-Add a new mode like Endless (in so much as there is a score involved) called Survival that has some definite way to lose like play as long as you can until 20 stars have been collected. The trick here being that while cascades are still the way to big points you'd want to be careful that too many stars are caught up in one or the whole game would end.

Thanks for hearing me out!

4/5

(weirdness, I can't add my review for it on iTunes)
Thank you LordGek for your detailed review. I'm working on an update to address both points you made.

10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjones View Post
Thank you LordGek for your detailed review. I'm working on an update to address both points you made.
Is it just me or are iTune reviews farked up at the moment?

Yesterday I couldn't even see the reviews, now they're back but if I try to write one it just takes me to the top of the app entry and no new window pops up. Maybe it is working at least in the AppStore?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
10-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Is it just me or are iTune reviews farked up at the moment?

Yesterday I couldn't even see the reviews, now they're back but if I try to write one it just takes me to the top of the app entry and no new window pops up. Maybe it is working at least in the AppStore?
Something is definitely messed up with the reviews at the moment. I'm unable to access the customer reviews from itunes connect.

Last edited by csjones; 10-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.