★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why is blizzard so elitist?

10-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Why is blizzard so elitist?

Why can't they port all three of the first war crafts already and the first sc? Heck with battle net comp ability to boot with game center. Ppl would pay at least 5 bucks for each and blizzard could probably get away with charging ten. All the ids emulator did was want me to play a proper Warcraft 2 port with good framerate because he controls work just fine with the mouse icon. Now hard would it be blizzard? Just do it already.

Btw this is a prime example of their eliteness talk:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ytime-soon.ars

It's like they are loyal to bill gates or something as they hate almost every system or pc outside windows or xbox.
10-29-2010, 12:27 AM
I'd pay 9.99 each easy...sigh

10-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Now that I've finally played a PC RTS, I can say the only thing holding back RTSs on the iPad are the bajillion hotkeys. You can't play as fast as you can on a PC without hotkeys. Everything else the iPad can do pretty well. I can understand Blizzards reluctance in a business perspective. Dirt cheap prices, a questionable fan base (most ipod/ipad users arent using it for hardcore games, like RTSs), and I can emagine there being hardware/software problems.
10-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Now that I've finally played a PC RTS, I can say the only thing holding back RTSs on the iPad are the bajillion hotkeys. You can't play as fast as you can on a PC without hotkeys. Everything else the iPad can do pretty well. I can understand Blizzards reluctance in a business perspective. Dirt cheap prices, a questionable fan base (most ipod/ipad users arent using it for hardcore games, like RTSs), and I can emagine there being hardware/software problems.
They could add a hot key touch menu or even touch keyboard around the HUD on bottom of the screen. Heck the idos emu has a full keyboard and the games are still very visible and nice to play (bigger view distance than psp or ds I think on iPad). I agree that it wouldn't make sense to make these ports for iPhone. I am strictly talking ipad here folks.
10-29-2010, 03:15 AM
The interface is a good point but I don't think it's the key.

As da shiz pointed there a price problem. For team like Blizzard, Bioware and few other, the real point is to not start put in mind their games can be found for cheap.

Another problem could be the size. I haven't startcraft 2 because RTS bore me with ther highly technical gameplay and the ton of keys to memorize and use. But a game like that could be a size too big.

But another big problem is that iPad isn't iPhone plus iPod. It's not a game platform and nobody know how much sells. So release a game on iPad only isn't tempting yet for such big teams.

And I quote big teams but I'm playing currently the RPG Drakensang The River of Time, it's not perfect nor top selling like games from big teams, but I seriously doubt such big RPG see soon a release on iPhone/iPad. There's just no comparison with anything yet released on idevice and 5gb isn't that much for modern games but igames are far from that because ton of devices just can't handle this.
10-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirolak26 View Post
Why can't they port all three of the first war crafts already and the first sc? Heck with battle net comp ability to boot with game center. Ppl would pay at least 5 bucks for each and blizzard could probably get away with charging ten. All the ids emulator did was want me to play a proper Warcraft 2 port with good framerate because he controls work just fine with the mouse icon. Now hard would it be blizzard? Just do it already.

Btw this is a prime example of their eliteness talk:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ytime-soon.ars

It's like they are loyal to bill gates or something as they hate almost every system or pc outside windows or xbox.
I registered just so I could reply to your post, which really made me angry. I agree with the above poster and everything they just said.

Blizzard is a top grade company, pumping out almost perfect games for the last two decades. Think about it, can you name a simple bad game made by them? I'm glad it's not just me who sees your post as childish, ignorant, and above all misinformed. Why would a company like them want to waste money in porting a game to a platform a minority take seriously, especially when it would degrade so much from the overall playing experience. And you honestly think they would sell one of their games for $5?
Just because they are selective and not complete ****wits, does not make them elitist. Oh and by the way:

Quote:
as they hate almost every system or pc outside windows or xbox

Enjoy your cranial cancer.
10-29-2010, 04:20 AM
I like some of Blizzard's games and agree that it's a reasonable decision to not port their games. However, it is kind of elitist (in a positive way!), since they seem to be worried about downgrading the quality and income of their games. Seeing so much hate spammed because the OP has a rasonable opinion of his own, makes me think that we're dealing with some lifeless WoW-addicts, who feel personally attacked by any criticism concerning Blizzard.

Normally I don't participate in the flame-wars that (sadly) take place in almost every TA thread, so I do feel bad doing this
10-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
The interface is a good point but I don't think it's the key.

As da shiz pointed there a price problem. For team like Blizzard, Bioware and few other, the real point is to not start put in mind their games can be found for cheap.

Another problem could be the size. I haven't startcraft 2 because RTS bore me with ther highly technical gameplay and the ton of keys to memorize and use. But a game like that could be a size too big.

But another big problem is that iPad isn't iPhone plus iPod. It's not a game platform and nobody know how much sells. So release a game on iPad only isn't tempting yet for such big teams.

And I quote big teams but I'm playing currently the RPG Drakensang The River of Time, it's not perfect nor top selling like games from big teams, but I seriously doubt such big RPG see soon a release on iPhone/iPad. There's just no comparison with anything yet released on idevice and 5gb isn't that much for modern games but igames are far from that because ton of devices just can't handle this.
Im not talking about starcraft 2 here, or a completely new game designed for the ipad. Or DIablo 3.

I am talking stuff like warcraft 1 and 2 like we have almost succeded in enjoying warcraft 2 via freaking emulation with idos (warcraft 1 works perfectly but controls are not very customizable and thats its main problem that tapping on the screen is a left mouse botton instead of just dragging despite two touch mouse clicks already being on there but this is a small fix). WC2 almost works (speed is the only real issue) via emulation imagine how easy it would be for blizzard to do it. Heck they could just reesign the dosbox or make a dos emu themselves and dont really even need to port WC2.

Stuff like WC3, and Diablo 1 and 2 would also be easy for them to transfer. They can do a sega and just emulate or cheaply port them.
10-29-2010, 04:32 AM
And I think it is pretty much becoming a gaming platform, because outside of novelty people just use it for internet, games, and movies. Music is for the iphone/ipod and you can do some word processing and stuff but it is as much for gaming as the multifaceted or multimedia-marketed psp is imo.
10-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
but look what epic is doing with project sword and porting the unreal engine onto it. Many devs have ipads on the side and are hobbysts and enthusiasts and make games for the fun of it or to show they can not necessarily for pure profit. Look at the guys at id software for example like Carmak. Heck I believe he has some rocket program going on even on the side and made a doom freaking rpg just for fun.