★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: PC Games' BEST SHOOTER of the year is now on your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad!

Painkiller: Pergatory HD is the most intense, gripping 3D action shooter available on your iPad!

Get ready to experience the most mind-numbing, blood-curdling 3D battles your mobile device can deliver:

* Over-the-top weapons
* Painkiller's trademark giant boss battles
* Incredible, highly-detailed art
* Four levels of difficulty:
* Daydream
* Insomnia
* Nightmare (unlockable)
* Trauma (unlockable)
* Unlock twenty all-new achievements
* Collect souls to heal yourself
* Weapons with alternate fire modes
* Original soundtrack and sound effects
* Dark, gripping atmosphere
* Painkiller's marathon boss battles

Trapped in a dark and unwelcoming world, awaiting purification for your earthly sins, you must fight through an endless number of enemy warriors as you attempt to stop the imminent Unholy War and overthrow Lucifer.

But even if you win this insane battle, you must still take out hordes of howling devils eager to avenge their master.

You are the angel's only prayer...
10-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Hopefully the controls are better than duke nukem.

10-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Whoa, what? This was still upcoming in the other forum, now it's actually out for iPad? Hot damn! Gonna take a better look at this and maybe pick it up.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
10-30-2010, 10:42 PM
need to see a video before instant buy
10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
whoa!

wow, what the hell?! This came out of nowhere, didn't it? I'll have to buy it and check it out.
10-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, that was ... disappointing.

Now, I'll grant that some cuts have to be made to make this game playable on lower-powered mobile devices like the iPad, so I tried to give this some latitude in that regard. There's no way they'd be able to do hordes of demons and zombies coming at you like the original, nor feature some of the more exotic architecture, so I wasn't expecting that.

But even taking these things into account, this was just not good. For starters, the "incredible, highly-detailed art" is only incredible and highly-detailed if you haven't played a video game since roughly 1997. This is approximately Quake II class. MachineWorks could have done much better with both graphics and geometry. Worse, however, is that you clip through practically everything that isn't a wall or stout pillar -- even enemies. That's either tremendously shoddy programming or a design choice intended to make the dodgy controls less frustrating for navigation by reducing the number of things you can bump into.

Speaking of which, yes, controls are touchy. The fixed single or twin sticks are fiddly, though I didn't really play with the sensitivity settings too much, so I'm not going to comment on that too much right now, but the look stick is omnidirectional, so walking in a straight line without also drifting up or down is nigh on impossible. The one good control decision here is that it will auto-level when you're on the move. Annoyingly, this game only plays in a single landscape orientation and won't flip if you're turned the other way. Worst of all, there is no way to save your game except at specific save markers, and the game will not continue where you left off if you quit mid-point. There's no excuse for this in a modern game, especially a mobile game.

Level designs so far have been very short, confined corridors and small rooms sectioned off by doors marked by pentagrams on the floor, much like the original, but in much smaller chunks. While I can appreciate that this may have been done to conserve RAM, it makes each section feel claustrophobic and contrived. Battling enemies occurs in very small clusters of two or three at a time, with new ones spawning in when you kill others.

But perhaps the most baffling things about Painkiller: Purgatory are the elements of the original game that they left out for what seems like no good reason. There are no ornamental objects to destroy and get coins or points from because there are no coins or point pickups, and accordingly, no special power cards you can buy and put into play between episodes. For that matter, there are no episodes, just a linear sequence of levels. Of course, even if there were destructible objects you'd probably clip right through them anyway. Demon mode has also been removed; collecting souls is now used only to heal yourself. Your trademark painkiller weapon is now only a spinning blade-o-death; you can't fire it on its chain and grab zombies or demons to hurl them about.

The thing that made the original Painkiller such a romp was that it was an intense Serious Sam-style affair, thrashing hordes of evil baddies in cruel and sadistic ways with wonderfully exotic weapons while questing through the sinister yet majestic architecture of purgatory. The problem is that most of that has either been castrated or axed completely from this Painkiller, which turns it into a pretty pedestrian Quake-like FPS. Battles aren't very intense, or if they are intense it's because you keep walking through the damned enemies while you try to puree them with your primary weapon.

More importantly they aren't intense because the feeling of being vastly outnumbered and outmuscled is gone; instead, you're fighting a small handful at a time, which makes the game feel like you're fighting a large horde that's bottlenecked in a narrow corridor, so you just stand there and kill a few at a time while you wait for the rest to advance. The lack of destructible objects, coin/point collecting with the attendant power cards, demon mode and the rest all remove elements of variety from the game. Without them, Painkiller: Purgatory becomes a churning kill-fest that gets quite dull and repetitive rather quickly.

My disappointment in this game is palpable. It fails on so many levels, many of which it didn't have to but for the developers apparently half-assing their way through its creation. For $8, even on the iPad, I expected a halfway decent rendition of Painkiller. What I got was a crappy Quake TC with glaring clipping errors.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 10-30-2010 at 11:33 PM.
10-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the detailed impressions, too bad they didn't do a better job with this.
10-30-2010, 11:36 PM
thks for the testing!

and I feel sorry about it... I really hoped something better than D3D
10-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Well, that was ... disappointing.

Now, I'll grant that some cuts have to be made to make this game playable on lower-powered mobile devices like the iPad, so I tried to give this some latitude in that regard. There's no way they'd be able to do hordes of demons and zombies coming at you like the original, nor feature some of the more exotic architecture, so I wasn't expecting that.

But even taking these things into account, this was just not good. For starters, the "incredible, highly-detailed art" is only incredible and highly-detailed if you haven't played a video game since roughly 1997. This is approximately Quake II class. MachineWorks could have done much better with both graphics and geometry. Worse, however, is that you clip through practically everything that isn't a wall or stout pillar -- even enemies. That's either tremendously shoddy programming or a design choice intended to make the dodgy controls less frustrating for navigation by reducing the number of things you can bump into.

Speaking of which, yes, controls are touchy. The fixed single or twin sticks are fiddly, though I didn't really play with the sensitivity settings too much, so I'm not going to comment on that too much right now, but the look stick is omnidirectional, so walking in a straight line without also drifting up or down is nigh on impossible. The one good control decision here is that it will auto-level when you're on the move. Annoyingly, this game only plays in a single landscape orientation and won't flip if you're turned the other way. Worst of all, there is no way to save your game except at specific save markers, and the game will not continue where you left off if you quit mid-point. There's no excuse for this in a modern game, especially a mobile game.

Level designs so far have been very short, confined corridors and small rooms sectioned off by doors marked by pentagrams on the floor, much like the original, but in much smaller chunks. While I can appreciate that this may have been done to conserve RAM, it makes each section feel claustrophobic and contrived. Battling enemies occurs in very small clusters of two or three at a time, with new ones spawning in when you kill others.

But perhaps the most baffling things about Painkiller: Purgatory are the elements of the original game that they left out for what seems like no good reason. There are no ornamental objects to destroy and get coins or points from because there are no coins or point pickups, and accordingly, no special power cards you can buy and put into play between episodes. For that matter, there are no episodes, just a linear sequence of levels. Of course, even if there were destructible objects you'd probably clip right through them anyway. Demon mode has also been removed; collecting souls is now used only to heal yourself. Your trademark painkiller weapon is now only a spinning blade-o-death; you can't fire it on its chain and grab zombies or demons to hurl them about.

The thing that made the original Painkiller such a romp was that it was an intense Serious Sam-style affair, thrashing hordes of evil baddies in cruel and sadistic ways with wonderfully exotic weapons while questing through the sinister yet majestic architecture of purgatory. The problem is that most of that has either been castrated or axed completely from this Painkiller, which turns it into a pretty pedestrian Quake-like FPS. Battles aren't very intense, or if they are intense it's because you keep walking through the damned enemies while you try to puree them with your primary weapon.

More importantly they aren't intense because the feeling of being vastly outnumbered and outmuscled is gone; instead, you're fighting a small handful at a time, which makes the game feel like you're fighting a large horde that's bottlenecked in a narrow corridor, so you just stand there and kill a few at a time while you wait for the rest to advance. The lack of destructible objects, coin/point collecting with the attendant power cards, demon mode and the rest all remove elements of variety from the game. Without them, Painkiller: Purgatory becomes a churning kill-fest that gets quite dull and repetitive rather quickly.

My disappointment in this game is palpable. It fails on so many levels, many of which it didn't have to but for the developers apparently half-assing their way through its creation. For $8, even on the iPad, I expected a halfway decent rendition of Painkiller. What I got was a crappy Quake TC with glaring clipping errors.
Agree 100% with this assesment. Let me just add that the look control is set to minimum sensitivity from the get go, and it still feels like you're spinning out of control. Total, utter waste of $8.00.
10-31-2010, 12:13 AM
I'd still like to see a video. I liked the PC version. This is the same company that has brought Duke Nukem to the IOS platform. I think overall they did a Great job with that title.

Last edited by Rad; 10-31-2010 at 12:30 AM.