★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The Dark Wizard has returned from his long, evil slumber to mess with the poor town of Villageshire. Once again, hes stolen their only source of magical protection: the Orb! Now, it's up to a crazy, adventuring hero to fight hordes of deadly monsters to get the dumb thing back and save the town. Success grants rewards beyond your wildest dreams! Fail and they probably won't even send someone down for the body. Use your wits, skills, training and nerve to overcome the Dark Wizards obstacles and recover the Orb!

Reviews are in, and people say that The Dungeon rocks!

Game on Mac says: ". . .out of every roguelike I've played (and I've played many), this is the one I keep coming back to."
NoDPad says: "The Dungeon is perfect for quick forays, and a great semi-traditional roguelike for when you have a little time to kill."

Choose your Adventurer!
Knight: Knows armor, and takes a beating like nobody's business.
Fighter: Great at putting the hurt on fools, and really knows his weapons.
Wizard: Rocks out with super rad wands, and loves him some magics.
Sage: He actually knows how to read! Wow! Sadly, scrolls are his only friends. :(
Alchemist: Master of potions, and not a bad cook, either.
Jeweler: A delicate man, able to identify powerful rings and artifacts.
Jones: His bravery outweighs his skill. He might be a bit crazy.

Features
* Seven classes, all with their own individual strengths and weaknesses.
* Oodles and oodles of monsters ripe for the slaying.
* More treasure than you can shake a wand at! Two wands wont even get the job done. This is a three-wand kind of deal.
* Forty levels of adventuring fun. Fun! You cant beat that!
* Sling spells, wield weapons, quaff potions, eat food, and vanquish monsters!
* High scores, both local and Game Center!
* Play your own music, and mute the game's audio!

freedog's comments:

10-31-2010, 02:21 AM
I feel like my toftt has gotten to lucky lately. For 2.99 I do not feel safe with this. Even though it looks promising.

anyone else wanna take a stab?

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder

10-31-2010, 02:42 AM
A lite. A video. A more sensible price. An all-you-can-eat voucher to a buffet restaurant of my choice. Any one of the above would be conducive to me downloading this game. But not on those screenshots alone at that price.
10-31-2010, 04:10 AM
Looks interesting. A rogue-like? Reminds me of an old Mac one, Dungeons of Doom or something. Like the others here, I'd need to know more. But I'm curious.
10-31-2010, 05:35 AM
Oooh, tempting. It certainly looks like a roguelike. I'd TOFTT but I won't be able to report back for some time anyway (celebrating Halloween with my family starting in a few minutes) but I will check back later and may take a stab at it then.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
10-31-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
Looks interesting. A rogue-like? Reminds me of an old Mac one, Dungeons of Doom or something. Like the others here, I'd need to know more. But I'm curious.
You are correct, it is based on the concept of Dungeons of Doom, the old Mac classic game. I've spoken with the developer of "The Dungeon" off and on during his creation of it. Surprised to see it released so soon after going into review!

I have not played it yet, but have seen some of his earlier technical videos and imagery. Sent him a bump in Twitter, but it may be several hours before he shows up... probably still asleep in his timezone.

Anyway, I'm buying it this morning, will report some details on the final gameplay after I have had a chance to get into it.

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
10-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks Commander Data. Curious to hear more, especially after you confirmed the DoD connection. I put a lot of time into that one many years ago.
10-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Developer here to confirm the general Dungeon of Doom connection, though it is tenuous at best. It was a game that I played a ton as a kid, and I was disappointed that there wasn't a relatively direct analog on the whole iPlatform, so, like a fool, I decided to write one. There are a few differences, like the size of the dungeon, but those are all due to how iOS games play versus something similar on a computer.

Happy to do a gameplay video at some point soonish, though.
10-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by half-bit View Post
Developer here to confirm the general Dungeon of Doom connection, though it is tenuous at best. It was a game that I played a ton as a kid, and I was disappointed that there wasn't a relatively direct analog on the whole iPlatform, so, like a fool, I decided to write one. There are a few differences, like the size of the dungeon, but those are all due to how iOS games play versus something similar on a computer.

Happy to do a gameplay video at some point soonish, though.
Welcome to touch arcade! There is a lot of love here for rogue-like games! Will be waiting for the video!
Are dungeons random?

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 10-31-2010 at 08:27 AM.
10-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
Welcome to touch arcade! There is a lot of love here for rogue-like games!
I second this! Welcome!

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius