★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Irish Clover - not good.

03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Irish Clover - not good.

I bought this a few days ago as 'Zen of Clover' (in applications) and it seems the developer has changed the name and put it into Games to get some extra downloads.

Poor control which is all accelerometer for moving around. The sensation is one of hanging at a fixed point rather than being able to move around at all.
Sound effects I found repetitive. I know nature sounds aren't exactly full of variety but these were annoying.
Graphics were nothing special.
You use touch to drag the clovers around to try and find the target.

I gave it a whole one star in a review and this game looks to be identical. I really do not think this deserves your money.
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
thanks for the heads up!

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The screenshots actually looked good, so this is a disappointment.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-16-2009, 09:41 AM
@markx2 Hello. I'm the developer of both Zen of Clover and Irish Clovers. I didn't just change the name of "Zen of Clover and put it into Games to get some extra downloads".... I can understand why you might think that because I did fork the code however, I spent quite a bit of time and effort modifying it to be more of a game than Zen of Clover was designed to be. They really are completely different expereinces.

Also, from your description of Zen of Clover it sounds as if you maybe didn't explore all the various way of movement.... I say this because you said "sensation is one of hanging at a fixed point rather than being able to move around at all." Do you know that you can Pinch in and out to change your height aboue the clovers... and that you can use two fingers to drag (move) around the clovers, and that you can tilt the iphone to change your perpective from looking straight down to looking all around AND in that view you will "fly" over the clover (a little like the PS3 game Flower).

I hope you give both these apps another try. And if you have any questions I'm 100% open to answering them.

EDIT: Also I have submitted updates to both of these apps and they should be going "live" within a day or two. I have done slight improvements to controls, graphics, and a lot of changes to sound effects.

03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi randy,
I just checked the description text and saw no real differences. I did try the movement and as I said above I felt it flawed. I will certainly give the update a fair go and update the review.

(I have Flower and I didn't notice the movement being the same but I'll check when the update goes live.)
03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
One more thing, I want to clarify my motive on making making these two apps..... I have been working (off and on in my spare time) on Zen of Clover for years. I first released it on Apple's download site as a free Widget (it was picked as a Staff Favorite and has thousands of downloads). I designed it to be more of an experience than a "game". I really like it and have spent countless hours tweaking and changing things about it (its been a hobby).

I ported it to the iPhone because I always felt limited on the computer by the mouse as the control... the iPhone give me the ability to move around the clover patch while, at the same time, picking through the clovers. Like I said, I really like Zen of Clover, but I realize that other (most) people wouldn't "get" it, probably find it boring even. This is why I also created Irish Clovers. It is meant to be "lighter", more a real game... while still keeping true to the "experience" aspect that I wanted to achieve in ZoC.

I am dedicated to continuing to update and improve each of these apps (based on user feedback). And as I do, they will invariably grow more different.
03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Can you explain, in more detail, how it feels flawed? thanks.

Also, as for it being like Flower, I only mean that you can fly/float above the ground.

Last edited by randyedmonds; 03-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
OK, one more thing (again)

I consider these apps more art than game. I'm a one man operation and strongly feel that the apps I make are expressions and experiences, art. So I also understand that there will be critics that don't see them the same way I do. There are people, however, that do... and that is what motives me to continue Making.
03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
mm i cant find this in itunes
link please ?
03-16-2009, 10:29 AM
The game does give the impression that you can move around more than you can but when you hit the stone circle the graphics jump. If you turn at that point it keeps jumping until you have turned enough that the imaginary front of the view has moved away from the stone. Any view with the stone is liable to more jerkiness.

The device has to be completely flat to get a straight-down unmoving view. It has to be at the vertical to look in that direction and tilt in between. This means you need a fair range of movement to play it. As it is set to be a relaxing game I imagined playing it sitting down on a sofa or in bad before sleep. It is somewhat uncomfortable to see a horizontal device when you are almost horizontal yourself. Not a flaw but I had imagined more touch control than is present.

Move to the furthest viewpoint and tilt slightly the device. The clover patch will start rotating (as it should). Now pinch several times and the view will suddenly jump in to full close up. Try spread/pinch. I found this from pinching once and then managed to repeat it.

Flicking the clovers while tilting is a little jerky and a couple of times if went to full zoom.

I've played it twice to find the 4-leaf clover and it needs to be smoother. Ideally it would use more touch to navigate.
The idea is sound - I would not have bought it otherwise, but the execution isn't there yet.

Note: This is Zen of Clover.