★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone SDK on Windows?

03-15-2009, 05:08 PM
iPhone SDK on Windows?

Im considering giving development on the iPhone a hand but sadly I dont have a Mac

Is there an alternate way to use the SDK or am I out of luck.
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Sh!t out of luck my friend.

03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
Sh!t out of luck my friend.
Damn...Ill never by a Mac...never!
03-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Why? They are gods creation...
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
No Mac, no SDK. That's pretty much the end of the discussion.

Macs aren't that bad. I bought one specifically for development. To be perfectly honest it takes a lot of getting used to if you grew up on Windows, but it's not a bad system. I already had some Linux familiarity, though, so that helped with some of the transition.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I personally LOVE macs put do not have the money to afford a MacBook and I refuse to get a Mac Mini (cause i dont have the money for it and cause i need a laptop to be my computer). I wish I could get a Macbook sooooo bad.

I wish they could port the SDK somehow cause I really do wanna try to develop. Me and my friend have some pretty cool ideas. I still would want a mac even if they came out with the SDK for windows.... but then i could make some apps and maybe that could get me the money for it.

*sigh*

Maybe someday....

I'm actually pretty surprised that no one has taken this into their own hands and ported it. I guess it would be a lot of work though...

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
03-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Closest thing but still need mac to compile build it though so maybe just ask your neighbor with a mac to do it for ya.

Quote:
I've been asked several times about how I wrote this under Visual Studio. Well, I wrote a "fake" iPhone that allowed me to develop the game without a Mac nearby. My code then interfaces with either real iPhone code (window, touch events, system events) or my phake phone. This is also how I use Fraps to create the movies on youtube.

This framework is free to anyone that wants it. It not only includes the iPhone stuff, but also has a sound engine (OpenAL) and a sprite engine (OpenGL). Most of my development time was on the framework, meaning my next game (God forbid I decide to go through this Hell again) will take a lot less effort.

Even if you didn't have access to a Mac, you could use this framework to create an OpenGL game and then borrow someone's Mac to do final testing.

But this isn't for the novice. You'll need strong C++ skills. Knowledge of OpenGL would be useful, as well as basics like creating graphics with alpha layers
#2 he had an article on arstechnica
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
Closest thing but still need mac to compile build it though so maybe just ask your neighbor with a mac to do it for ya.

#1 #2 he had an article on arstechnica
wow. nice find. maybe i will try that out. i have 2 friends with macs and im sure i could convince atleast one of them to let us use it for the finalities.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Well Unity 2.5 will have Windows support and will allow you to make iPhone apps I believe.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
Wouldn't it be possible for hackintoshes (IBM compatible PCs hacked to run Mac OS X, or, rather, the other way around) to run the SDK?
Yes, with a caveat: You need hardware that is supported by whatever OSX86 build you're trying to run -- ideally, every piece of hardware needs to be supported, but in particular, video (or else no Quartz = no graphics = no SDK development), audio (obvious), and networking (gotta download the SDK). If you've got something that fits the bill or can build it then yes, you can run the SDK on a Hackintosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Well Unity 2.5 will have Windows support and will allow you to make iPhone apps I believe.
Not completely. You can probably develop and test in a basic native framework, which will get you most of the way there, but you won't be able to compile to the iPhone. You'll still need the SDK (and therefore a Mac) to do that in order to compile to Cocoa Touch and generate the necessary certificates and such. Also, you'll need to pay the extra license for Unity for iPhone (in addition to the standard Unity license) to compile it for the iPhone, which will set you back an additional $500 per title.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko