★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 82 Inc.
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 75.4 MB
  • Version: 4.40
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.6 (7)
App description: New World Colony is a strategy board game where you settle territories, gather resources, upgrade buildings, construct defenses and invade your opponents.

Every turn gives you meaningful decisions about expanding and protecting your colony or anticipating and thwarting your enemy's plans.

It's easy to learn and you can practice against the AI and then join thousands of other players in online matches.

"One incredible package that is hard to put down." - iPadBoardGames.org

"Strategy fans rejoice, games like this are far & few between" - AppVader.com

"I can't stop playing it, and if you download it, neither will you. 10/10" GamingTillDisconnected.com

- Play locally or online against up to 4 players.
- Multiple buildings including sawmills, granaries, towns, forts, strongholds, trading posts, and shipyards.
- Play against 3 computer difficulties.
- Normal, Defensive, Pacifist, and Warlord game modes each with different and challenging rules.
- Map editor to create your own custom boards.
- Built-in tutorial to bring you up to speed quickly.
01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
A Hidden Indie Gem

I picked this up yesterday after reading a couple of very positive threads about it on BoardGame Geek and have been playing it pretty much nonstop ever since. The developer (who is active and responding to comments over there on BGG) suggests that his game is a strategic improvement over Settlers of Catan and I, and others, are of the same opinion.

Reminds me a bit of Slay, but I find this much more interesting.

Runs smoothly, I've not encountered any bugs or crashes while playing and am very much enjoying the learning curve to attain Game Center achievements.

The demo is free and the IAP to the full version is currently on sale.

I'm surprised that this is one which slipped under this forum's (usually excellent!) radar...

Mac user since 1988

Last edited by funambulist; 01-02-2011 at 12:40 PM.

01-02-2011, 12:35 PM
/agree

This game implements many of the rule changes that long-time Settlers of Catan players have been hoping for. It's worth $3 and is a steal at $1.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by funambulist View Post
Reminds me a bit of Slay, but I find this much more interesting.
Sold! Thanks for the impressions.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Sold to me too. Getting it now!

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Just downloaded played one game instantly upgraded
01-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Same here. Feels really nice.
Let's try to get the dev into this thread ... I would love if he could do a little upgrade with symbols on the tokens .....

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey, this is Erik, the developer of New World Colony. Glad you guys are enjoying the game! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback, and word-of-mouth is extremely valuable for an indie developer such as myself. Not having the resources of the big game companies means that your comments and ratings are about the only way I can get noticed, so thanks a million.

Anyways, if you have any thoughts on how to improve the game or want to request any features feel free to post them here as I'll be checking back frequently. You can also read up on my future plans for the game here: http://videogamegeek.com/thread/6010...meplay-changes.

Thanks again!
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Welcome!
And I joined BBG just to follow up on your game!!

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
I would love if he could do a little upgrade with symbols on the tokens .....
Great point, they do look kind of bland. I'm planning on giving the structure tokens an upgrade with the next version. They'll probably still appear 2-d as I want to keep the board game look and feel, but with more color and detail.

Anybody know any good graphic designers that work on games? So far I've been doing all the graphics myself but I'm sure it could use an expert touch.