★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Reviews in small websites!

11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Reviews in small websites!

Has anyone noticed it is becoming hard to get any reviews? My current app http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scrambleface-live-action-video/id394830799?mt=8 is an app store first and I'm struggling.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Has anyone got any tips of sites/youtube reviewers that are likely to review my app?
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suksmo View Post
Has anyone noticed it is becoming hard to get any reviews? My current app http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scrambleface-live-action-video/id394830799?mt=8 is an app store first and I'm struggling.

YouTube: video

Has anyone got any tips of sites/youtube reviewers that are likely to review my app?
Looks really cool, but sadly I don't have a fourth gen ipod touch

I own and manage iTouchAppReviewers. We have a YouTube. I am a beta tester.
Twitter: @iTouchAppReview GameCenter: Slimothy OpenFeint: SLMGamer4G
Downloaded: 12,000+ apps Beta-tested: Over 100 apps

11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:

YouTube: video

It's really tough now. Unless you are connected to people, even at smaller sites, it's hard to get coverage for an app that doesn't have that "wow" screenshot, name, icon. Doesn't necessarily matter if it's a "first" or not, because maybe people aren't gonna take the time to read your description/ponder what it means..

This goes back to what is said very often. simply developing something is no longer enough to merit coverage. You need to spend at least as much time and energy putting the word out, building up a community, doing all the usual promotional/marketing angles (heavy twitter and facebook, forum posting, etc). You need to do a lot more of that if your app is "less marketable" (again, the "wow screenshot" etc)

Definitely assemble a nicely-presented PR kit, and cold-spam it out with some promocodes to as many secondary/tertiary websites as you can (though that might not be to useful these days anyway) I've sent I dunno how many codes to people who've never redeemed them...

Good luck
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
It's most definitely not easy. With so many apps coming out it's going to get harder and harder. If you luck out and make that right connection though, then you have the permanent in (well, provided you don't screw it up). I sometimes add reviewers on Twitter and slowly work my way in with them. It sometimes kind of sort of works. Maybe.
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
What's the best way to get to know reviewers? Anyone have any methods other than a cold call?
11-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm in the same boat, it seems very difficult to get reviews. Will keep at it though, spent a year on this project hahah not ready to throw in the towel yet!

Pocket Oceans - *Coming Soon*
Shark Food *CHOMP*
Follow Us:
http://cryptidstudios.com/

Last edited by bluelobster; 11-03-2010 at 04:47 PM.
11-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelobster View Post
I'm in the same boat, it seems very difficult to get reviews. Will keep at it though, spent a year on this project hahah not ready to throw in the towel yet!
A year? its gotta be good!
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelobster View Post
well having fake reviews in your rating doesnt shine a good light on any product..

there is quite a difference is a normal customer writes a review or when friends and family do that.

as for reviews.. its always the same.. you need to stand out of the crows to get attention.. most app don't manage todo that.. so even if oneself think his game is great.. chance is you are pretty much alone with that opinion

@suksmo:

i like you game.. its actualy a interesting twist on an old puzzle game.

one this that doesnt come off alone by looking at your games picture is that you use an actual live video feed for your puzzle.. i know its all over the description etc.. but people are not reading that, especialy since your
game title is endless.. and only comfortably readyable directly in itunes.. on the appstore itself its gets cut off
and is only completly readable in the detail view..

but then you already lost because no one reads the text there.. not even the title.. they already saw "some" of your title and are only scrolling down to check out the screenshot.. after a short "aww, just another of thoose stupid sliding puzzles" and just leave your app page..

the one thing you should actualy invest time into is your screenshot.. next to your (boring, generic, unexpressive) icon

thoose two are the main selling factor on the app store.

all informations a customer needs to be avaiable by thoose 2 things.. the icon attracks the user and the screenshot sell the game.. at the occasional bookwork will make a glance at your descriptive text.

Last edited by mr.Ugly; 11-03-2010 at 07:27 PM.
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
A year? its gotta be good!

Hahah I would hope so, I mean it was just me working on it in my spare time...but yeah I put a lot into it.

I think it's good, the question is does anyone else?

I was mainly referring to blog/game site reviews but as far as actual user reviews I've gotten a few that are positive and a few about the controls which I have addressed in updates but beyond that mostly just star ratings (not that useful for future development).

When the next update is approved (hoping any day now) I might throw out a few promo codes here for people that are willing to give me feedback via PM or e-mail.

Pocket Oceans - *Coming Soon*
Shark Food *CHOMP*
Follow Us:
http://cryptidstudios.com/
11-04-2010, 02:07 AM
my advice (not that you asked for it either!)
the icon isn't bad (people like dogs!) but maybe make it an attractive woman and see if it doesn't get you more hits!

also agree with Ugly, the title is very long and unwieldy in iTunes. I dunno personally if I like "scrambleface" (maybe just call it "S-Faced" I am only kind-of joking..)

that's cool you were in what's hot though App looks cool, wish my camera worked so I could try it!!