★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I had to laugh because...

11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I had to laugh because...

...Over on another forum, somebody was complaining because they perceived that asking $1.99 for my game was just too much, and in my defense somebody replied with this (which I think all developers can probably relate to in some way) --

Dustin Neff
Lucidsphere Media Games Studio
http://www.lucidspheremedia.com
11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh ya. I remember seeing this one earlier. Eli tweeted this one. Hilarious and still QFT.

11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
It's simply amazing how much people complain about the price of apps. Most are so cheap. Especially as a console gamer, where arcade games are like $5.99 and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I can understand the mentality of this, by now.
When the app store was brand-new (and things were priced low-ish) there was not much competition. Now there's just this unending stream of constant stimulation "buy this!! and this and this and this!!!" It honestly doesn't matter what price it is.. hell, even if it is called "free version" The potential customer is so desensitized to "new release," and after probably having bought so many games on impulse (I see tons of people complain about it on TA) plenty of which they never get around to playing anyway.

The real heart of it is, combined with the sheer volume of apps available, so many of them are just really incomplete experiences. "me-too" games that either look crap, play half-heartedly, feel slapped together, and most have no brand value worth whatsoever. It's hard to be angry at the audience for being so jaded.

As devs we just need to take more time to develop better looking (and secondarily, playing) software that looks more in-line with what someone would expect to pay $30 for on DS or PSP or what-have-you.. and then charge next to nothing for it. It's harsh, it's time consumptive (and cost-inefficient in a lot of ways) but if one has the time and resources, it's a good way to overcome that initial barrier "why should I spend my money on this?"

The reality is, most of us indies can't afford to do that for some reason or other, so we continue to moan about it..
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I'll agree with that. As a consumer, there is just SO much crap, I'm sure almost everyone has been burned by now from a cool looking game that majorly sucked once you played it, and you're left just thinking "what a waste." Problem is that is an overwhelming large % of the app store.

Ultimately, one of the largest problems -- imo -- is that so many people think because they CAN make an app, they SHOULD. The reality is not everyone is cut out for the video game business, even if the low entry point for the app store does make it incredibly easy. I can't count how many people think that because they play and are good at games, they will be a good developer. The 2 are indeed related, but one by no means implies you will be good at the other.
11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
I'll agree with that. As a consumer, there is just SO much crap, I'm sure almost everyone has been burned by now from a cool looking game that majorly sucked once you played it, and you're left just thinking "what a waste." Problem is that is an overwhelming large % of the app store.

Ultimately, one of the largest problems -- imo -- is that so many people think because they CAN make an app, they SHOULD. The reality is not everyone is cut out for the video game business, even if the low entry point for the app store does make it incredibly easy. I can't count how many people think that because they play and are good at games, they will be a good developer. The 2 are indeed related, but one by no means implies you will be good at the other.
On the contrary - some kinda-crappy games do fairly well! I won't endorse them for the same reasons you mentioned, but that is the "beauty" of the App Store, that anyone can get in and try their hand at "winning the lottery." We've seem some really terrible productions make a few people rich by now. It's kinda the romance of the whole situation I suppose.

The bad side of that is, of course, it does clutter things up for the devs who are trying to fill out the landscape with honest-to-goodness decent product (and therefore, culture). I guess if you want to get there, the moral of the story is that you still need to satisfy the lowest common denominator (or be able to afford enough marketing to power your way over the crap...)
11-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
I can understand the mentality of this, by now.
When the app store was brand-new (and things were priced low-ish) there was not much competition. Now there's just this unending stream of constant stimulation "buy this!! and this and this and this!!!" It honestly doesn't matter what price it is.. hell, even if it is called "free version" The potential customer is so desensitized to "new release," and after probably having bought so many games on impulse (I see tons of people complain about it on TA) plenty of which they never get around to playing anyway.

The real heart of it is, combined with the sheer volume of apps available, so many of them are just really incomplete experiences. "me-too" games that either look crap, play half-heartedly, feel slapped together, and most have no brand value worth whatsoever. It's hard to be angry at the audience for being so jaded.

As devs we just need to take more time to develop better looking (and secondarily, playing) software that looks more in-line with what someone would expect to pay $30 for on DS or PSP or what-have-you.. and then charge next to nothing for it. It's harsh, it's time consumptive (and cost-inefficient in a lot of ways) but if one has the time and resources, it's a good way to overcome that initial barrier "why should I spend my money on this?"

The reality is, most of us indies can't afford to do that for some reason or other, so we continue to moan about it..
Well said. I'm not angry at the audience or anything, speaking as someone who's also been burned by a lot of crappy games and app purchases myself, but still, I just thought the cartoon highlighted a humorous side to the equation - all things considered.

I understand the jaded mentality though.

I think a lot of the blame is to be put on developers who are just there to try to make a quick "cash grab" by filling the app store with junk, or rushing to be the first to copy a game that was very innovative and successful, and making a few hundred bucks off the tail end of its popularity. A few hundred bucks may not sound like very much to you or I, but in some places in the world it amounts to a good sum of money, relative to their economy.

Somebody can clone a game and probably make $10 to $50 a month just off random impulse buys if it's in a popular category. Now what if they clone 10 games? Or what if not just one person is doing it, but 1,000 people (or more) cloning different knock-offs of a successful game? So I think that's one factor driving the huge deluge of crappy games that's continually flooding the App Store.

I'm not talking about games that add an innovative spin to a tried-and-true formula, I'm talking about blatant rip offs.

I've heard it said before that a good barrier to this would be for Apple to raise the yearly developers fee to $1,000 or more, and I don't disagree. I really wish they would, and I bet it would get rid of 40% of the crAPPS that fill the store. That would certainly improve the odds of a decent game getting better visibility.

But until Apple reigns in these kinds of developers, I guess we just have to work a lot harder to get noticed and stand out above all the "noise".

Dustin Neff
Lucidsphere Media Games Studio
http://www.lucidspheremedia.com
11-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Cute comic. Unfortunately, I think this illustrates that the main forces at work here are "supply and demand. "

Apple makes products that people are willing to pay a premium for and there aren't too many competitors that compete with apple on so many different levels (product design, marketing, user interface, functionality, etc)

iPhone games, on the other hand, are in no short supply. With so many clones of games out there, it's no wonder people are not making money cloning a similar game. Now I am saying clones are bad, but the problem is some developers aren't putting the time to polish the gameplay, graphics, UI, graphic design, so naturally the best looking clone with the better gameplay eventually wins out leaving the other clones out in the cold.
11-02-2010, 11:43 PM
The low barrier to entry is a double edged sword for sure. If they raised the developer price to $1000 a year it would cut out a lot of the lower end developers, but honestly how many of us would have started developing if the initial cost was that much? Probably not many.

As game designers and developers, we need to work together to raise the bar for iPhone games collectively so the difference between these cloned games and a real polished game is clear to the consumers.

Also, after reading that comic, am I the only one wondering where Starboobs coffee is?