★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: A new fast-paced line drawing game. Use your finger to plot flight paths for you squadron of A.C.E.S. and clear the skies of enemy planes!

* The game features three challenging stages, powerful airplanes to unlock, and boss battles!

* Use your Game Center account to participate in global leaderboards and compare scores with your friends.

* Supports multitasking and high resolution graphics on compatible devices.

Start your propellers, Ladies and Gentlemen, and take control of the skies!

---------- HINTS ----------

- Double tap your planes for a short speed boost!

- End a flight path right on the tail of an enemy plane to follow that plane. Your own fighter will then try to close in and get in a good firing position. Watch your angle, though! Your pilot can't lock on a target if you don't approach it from behind!

- If your device supports Game Center, you can enable the Game Center functionality of A.C.E.S. by tapping the symbol in the lower right corner of the main menu.

- You can deploy newly unlocked planes in the profile screen. You always start a stage with Spades and Diamonds. Clubs and Hearts will join the fray after a while.

---------- NEWS ----------

22,000 downloads in one day! A.C.E.S. made it into the Top charts in the US, France, China, Italia, and many other countries around the world! It was featured as "New and Noteworthy" in the US, Canada, and Japan, and the "What's Hot"-list in Germany. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!

--------------------------

* Have questions, need support? Just contact aces@ndim.net

LordGek's comments:
A fun line-drawing 2D dog fighter!

Run, do not walk, to snag this one!

Extremely polished, original, and pretty brutal as you are first figuring it out!

You start with two planes on the map and, just like Flight Control, new enemy aircraft will enter in from random points along the side. They will maneuver to get you in their sites while you'll do the same (ideally locking in on them from behind). After a while, if you can stay alive long enough, a third and fourth plane will join your original two. You don't have to fear colliding with your own craft but there is a hidden cost to all of this support. The game ends once ANY of your squadron is shot down so in some ways having more craft is a greater risk as you need to keep them all alive as long as possible.

You start the game with one generic plane type but as you learn the ropes and achieve certain threshold highscores or take out some of the game's "Boss Monsters", you'll unlock more plane types. While I have only unlocked the first of six at this point, I like how the new aircraft isn't clearly better, just different. Before starting the game you get to decide your squadron makeup, even down to which planes you want to come in as later reinforcements (the 3rd and 4th plane to join in the fray). Like this first new plane I unlocked, it was tougher and had greater firepower but was a bit slower and the weapon had a much shorter range. So, ideally, you'll probably create a team of mixed aircraft for different roles. Like maybe have a real fast guy whiz by the enemies to lure them to some point on the screen that the slower guys with more firepower can take them out.

The three missions at this point are essentially the difficulty level with the later ones spawning more and nastier enemy aircraft right off the bat.

11-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Just picked this up great little line drawing game thanks for the heads up LG

11-03-2010, 11:04 AM
yeah I saw that one the other day and thought it looked intriguing but I wanted to get some impressions before pulling the trigger. I'll likely end up grabbing it...
11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Dirk Eichhorn's humility is...humbling.

This is a really polished and professional game but he goes out of his way to state on his webpage that he doesn't consider himself a professional developer, more of a hobbyist. That being said he appears really receptive to feedback and is very interested in hearing from us players if we have any issues or have found any bugs.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the nice words, and all the great feedback from you toucharcadians so far

I just wanted to announce real quick that 1.0.1 of A.C.E.S. went live earlier today. I reworked parts of the code, and everything should be a bit leaner and more memory efficient now, especially on devices utilizing the HD graphics. If you experienced stability issues before, you might want to give it another try.
11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Looks nice. So as I understand, there are 3 maps. Each map represents different difficulty and each map is endless? Or are there missions?
11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Looks nice. So as I understand, there are 3 maps. Each map represents different difficulty and each map is endless? Or are there missions?
As far as I know they're all endless, just different difficulty via different levels of bad guy aggression and rates of spawning.

New plane types are unlocked based on checkpoint kill counts or defeating of boss aircraft which can all, if I understand right, be unlocked on any map (just that it will likely take a LOT longer to get to the bosses in the easiest maps).

Please feel free to correct me, Dirk, and maybe explain in a bit more detail the actual differences between the 3 maps (I'm not even sure if the 3rd map is harder than the 2nd, or just different).

My iTunes Reviews
11-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Game Impressions

Not bad at all. I am a little bit underwhelmed about the speed at which the planes move; I understand it's probably close to optimal for the gameplay, but it just doesn't feel much like a dogfight which is more what I imagined. Perhaps a different mode with faster plane speed could be added.

Still enjoying this though; it could use a little more polish with regard to how well your planes follow the paths, and, specifically, react to sudden path changes, but overall a nice idea and a fun game.
11-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Not bad at all. I am a little bit underwhelmed about the speed at which the planes move; I understand it's probably close to optimal for the gameplay, but it just doesn't feel much like a dogfight which is more what I imagined. Perhaps a different mode with faster plane speed could be added.
Good point. Although I guess A.C.E.S. already is quite a bit faster and more dynamic than most other games of this genre, at its core it's undeniably still a juggle-multiple-moving-objects-tactically-by-drawing-lines type of game. Without major gameplay changes you can only crank up the speed by so much before you run into a difficulty/frustration barrier rather quickly. One thing I am currently experimenting with, however, is to give the user some degree of control about the flow of time within the game. Some sort of slider or swipe-gesture could work nicely here, I think, but I'm not promising anything at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Still enjoying this though; it could use a little more polish with regard to how well your planes follow the paths, and, specifically, react to sudden path changes, but overall a nice idea and a fun game.
Yeah, I totally agree, and this is definitely the biggest priority right now that 1.0.1 is out. So let's just say that I have it on good authority that more polish is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Please feel free to correct me, Dirk, and maybe explain in a bit more detail the actual differences between the 3 maps (I'm not even sure if the 3rd map is harder than the 2nd, or just different).
They are indeed endless survival-style maps. So far there's a total of three of them, color-coded Blue, Green, and Red.

Enemy planes come in two categories (everything shaded blue is mainly a collision hazard, while yellow-ish planes are armed interceptors), and different types organized in tiers.

The Green map is designed with a "tougher enemies" paradigm in mind - it gets two unique tier 2 fighters (code named "Ducky" and "Tank"), and spawns slightly tougher standard interceptors earlier on.

The Red map has a slightly higher spawn frequency of both standard enemies and bosses. There's also the added difficulty of the cloud overlay, and another unique fighter (code named "Twin"). It's not really more difficult than Green per se, just different.

The Blue map is vanilla, so to speak, and definitely the easiest of the bunch.

All in all, though, the differences between maps are kept deliberately subtle for now. I avoided map unlocks or map-specific rewards, too, as I feel that everybody should be able to pick whatever he or she is most comfortable with, and play on that.
11-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Good point. Although I guess A.C.E.S. already is quite a bit faster and more dynamic than most other games of this genre, at its core it's undeniably still a juggle-multiple-moving-objects-tactically-by-drawing-lines type of game. Without major gameplay changes you can only crank up the speed by so much before you run into a difficulty/frustration barrier rather quickly. One thing I am currently experimenting with, however, is to give the user some degree of control about the flow of time within the game. Some sort of slider or swipe-gesture could work nicely here, I think, but I'm not promising anything at this point.

Yeah, I totally agree, and this is definitely the biggest priority right now that 1.0.1 is out. So let's just say that I have it on good authority that more polish is on the way

They are indeed endless survival-style maps. So far there's a total of three of them, color-coded Blue, Green, and Red.

Enemy planes come in two categories (everything shaded blue is mainly a collision hazard, while yellow-ish planes are armed interceptors), and different types organized in tiers.

The Green map is designed with a "tougher enemies" paradigm in mind - it gets two unique tier 2 fighters (code named "Ducky" and "Tank"), and spawns slightly tougher standard interceptors earlier on.

The Red map has a slightly higher spawn frequency of both standard enemies and bosses. There's also the added difficulty of the cloud overlay, and another unique fighter (code named "Twin"). It's not really more difficult than Green per se, just different.

The Blue map is vanilla, so to speak, and definitely the easiest of the bunch.

All in all, though, the differences between maps are kept deliberately subtle for now. I avoided map unlocks or map-specific rewards, too, as I feel that everybody should be able to pick whatever he or she is most comfortable with, and play on that.
Nice to finally get the color coding of opponents, thanks!

My iTunes Reviews