★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iMoonLander

03-16-2009, 04:17 AM

I was just reminded of my old VIC-20 last week and this game had come to mind. It looks awful, just as I remember. I bought it immediately. So long as there are no serious bugs, I will be spending a lot of time with this one.

03-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Haha! It takes impossible skill. The Blue Danube soundtrack is apt, but I would prefer 'beeps' and 'murps'. There was a strange bug that froze the screen, but that only happened once. All in all, this is a terrific addition to the on-the-go-retro-gamer's library.
03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Oh wow, this game is crazy hard, and the games a little buggy.
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Tried this out last night, and it's buggy. If you like this kind of stuff which I do, you should probably try Heat Shield. It seems to have more options and different types of craft.

03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
They're trying to port Lunar Lander and for that i give kudos.

It needs a few things:

1 - ditch the classical music (?!) and give us thrust sound, beeps and murps as mentioned, successful landing sound, etc...

2 - it starts out in medium zoom instead of wide zoom. big mistake. i found that if i thrust a bit from the start it pans out to a wide view like in Lunar Lander - starting the round from this view is a must!

3 - ship only rotates as far as 45 degrees on each side. this needs to go to almost 90 degrees.

4 - add feet to the lander. i appreciate the retro grafx but the ship could use a little more detail

5 - the ship feels a drop light to me - but they came close to the physics of the original (i have Atari Classics Evolved on my PSP and will play it tonight for comparison)

6 - more varied landscape with harder landing pads available worth more points.

with these simple fixes this game will go from 2.5 stars to 4 easily.

if you like Lunar Lander - for .99 this is worth it. i'd love to see these fixes implemented. it's going in my review.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
I've been waiting for a game very much like this. Unfortunately, the controls and ship's behavior makes me feel somewhat "divorced" from it. I hope the developer tweaks the sensitivity, I'd then be on-board.

Folks liking this might also like Retro:

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]