★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apps aren't allowed to look and function like a desk top?

11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Apps aren't allowed to look and function like a desk top?

Our app " You" http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/you/id387611146?mt=8 is being removed from the app store today, because it is has all content accessible on the front page of the app. We spent the entire weekend streamlining the app and simplifying the user interface and improving issues we had with our first release.

The reviewer told me the app is being removed from the store today. The only way we can get the app to be reconsidered is if we remove all the buttons except for one button on the opening page. A user would click on this button and new buttons would appear leading to new choices. A cascading effect of buttons allowing users to access more information.

I am really lost and could use some clarification on this matter. I don't even know of an app that doesn't have multiple choices on the opening page.

Any ideas on how to get this resolved?

I am guessing we are supposed to show one item at a time and make the user try to find out the information by scrolling throughout the app.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,

Last edited by Syndicated Puzzles; 11-04-2010 at 08:57 PM.
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Sounds completely ridiculous to me, I'm guessing the reviewer gave you no indication as to which specific rule or guideline you were violating?

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz

11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that's a weird one, but it IS specified in the approval guidelines that you can't simulate a desktop, section 10.4.
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug View Post
Yeah, that's a weird one, but it IS specified in the approval guidelines that you can't simulate a desktop, section 10.4.
Well there you go... so the trick is to figure out the least amount of change you must make for it no longer simulate a desktop!

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
11-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Are your buttons all laid out in such a way that they look like icons on the iphone home page?

Can you post a picture of the bad start screen?
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Dug,

Yes it was 10.4 Apps that create alternate desktop/home screen environments or simulate multi-app widget experiences will be rejected.

That is the rule we violated.

CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Here is the iPad opening page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YOU-Screen-1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	25467  

11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Hmm. Darn shame because it's a nice-looking app.

Maybe you could get away with hiding that top bar of buttons as a slide-out menu and re-submit? Might be all they are referring to in regard to on-screen buttons. Worth a try at least.
11-04-2010, 11:49 PM
We are guilty as charged. But stripping YOU down and putting all the parts in separate rooms kind of seems to be five steps backwards. You would think it would be in Apples interest to have well organized apps that fit on one page, especially on the iPad.

Essential Paradox your idea of doing minimal changes is welcomed. But it could take many attempts to get this right could take months to get this approved going back and forth with concessions.

11-05-2010, 12:25 AM
WTH. I just tried this app yesterday (finally) and thought it was a pretty cool idea. Though it was kinda slow and buggy but that's something I thought would be fixed in an update