★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is Pangea the worst dev on the app store right now?

10-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Is Pangea the worst dev on the app store right now?

So i logged in to TouchArcade a couple of days ago and what was the first thing i saw? Nanosaur2 now $1.99. Now, i was not surprised by this (check this out http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...light=nanosaur i'm post 6) but still, this doesn't seem fair to all the hard-working people who paid an extra 2 bucks. Now, i'm not one of those people that want everything for free, hell, if i find an interesting game i'd happily dish out the dough i.e. MonkeyBall. This has happened to every game Pangea has released thus far: BillyFrontier was like 4 bucks at release, then it went to 6, then to 2, then to 1. Enigmo was 10 at release and now it's 2. My point is this: Pangea does not value its customers, all they care about is making money (i know i'm not the first to say this but...). People have been complaining about Bugdom2's save feature and they still released Nanosaur2 with a similar problem. I would've had no problem with them taking a couple of weeks (or months) to include said feature on Nanosaur. Hell, i would've been happy to pay a little more for that. Eventhough i've deffended their game's in the past, i've given up with this company. Congratulations Pangea: you just lost a customer.
10-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, compared to DS Effects and AAAplications, Pangea sucks super monkey balls.

10-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Yeah, compared to DS Effects and AAAplications, Pangea sucks super monkey balls.

I guess i should've clarified this. It's not about them having crappy games rather than them not listening to consumers' requests and abusing price drops...
10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
I guess i should've clarified this. It's not about them having crappy games rather than them not listening to consumers' requests and abusing price drops...
In that case, probably.
10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Agreed a company's nothing without customer support
10-23-2008, 10:52 PM
That's why you can be patient, and wait.
10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
As a developer myself, maybe I can provide an alternate view of what you're seeing.

I'm assuming Pangea is porting many of their current set of games to the App Store, with very little, if any, modification to the gameplay. From a business standpoint, this makes sense. Get a good string of your backlog out there to build capital, which you can then use to build new games. Unless there's a gigantic problem with the port, which dramatically affects sales, it's not cost effective to change the gameplay for a port. After all, they are a business, and bringing in the cash is vital.

The price drops make sense to me. To make real money on the App Store, you need to stay in the top 50 on the phone. Good user reviews are okay. Positive media reviews are fine. But honestly, the only thing that really affects sales in a dramatic way is visibility on the phone. Pangea's price changes are directly related to where their games are sitting in the top 50. If they fall too far below #25, they drop the price for a bit. When they're safely in the top 10 for a bit, the price goes back up to take advantage of the visibility. Makes business sense.

Yes, not adding features, and changing the price all the time, annoys some players. But it doesn't really affect new buyers very much. So what they're doing makes sense, from a business perspective.
10-23-2008, 11:51 PM
@LittleWhiteBear:

I guess you should know, ur app used to be $2.99 hehe. However, you have been involved with ur customers and have issued a couple of updates regarding controls and stuff like that. And that is what a true developer should do. My solution to this price-dropping madness is simple: apple should set a price floor on all new apps submitted, after that, the dev cannot lower the price anymore than said price. For example: i develop an app and sale it for .99 cents the first week, after that, i can modify the price all i want but cannot lower it more than .99 cents. This way, people would recognize the sale and jump to buy the app. If not, well, u snooze u loose...
10-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah and they just released a Bugdom 2 update that saves mid-level
10-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
Yeah and they just released a Bugdom 2 update that saves mid-level
Everything I know is wrong.