★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Welcome to the 25th Anniversary Edition of Nodes Of Yesod!

Guide Astro Charlie through various moon caverns, defeating many monsters on your way. Collect 8 Alchiems to complete your quest!!!

In this enhanced version of the classic 8-bit platform game, you will find the complete original game, along with an enhanced version containing new graphics, new gameplay features, new audio, music remixes, and more!

FEATURES:

* OpenFeint high scores and achievements
* Classic mode, with original 8 bit graphics
* Enhanced mode featuring:
- Enhanced graphics
- Remixed music
- Help system
- Map mode
- New game features
- Resume feature which automatically saves your progress
- Touch screen controls for movement
- Creep mode using tilt for fine tuned movement

Find the monolith, and help Astro Charlie escape from the moon!

Planetshooter's comments:

I spotted this in Toucharcade new games list and couldn't find a thread for it. I'll buy this now and post impressions once I've had a chance to try out the classic mode and the enhanced version:

"Welcome to the 25th Anniversary Edition of Nodes Of Yesod!

Guide Astro Charlie through various moon caverns, defeating many monsters on your way. Collect 8 Alchiems to complete your quest!!!

In this enhanced version of the classic 8-bit platform game, you will find the complete original game, along with an enhanced version containing new graphics, new gameplay features, new audio, music remixes, and more!

FEATURES:

* OpenFeint high scores and achievements
* Classic mode, with original 8 bit graphics
* Enhanced mode featuring:
- Enhanced graphics
- Remixed music
- Help system
- Map mode
- New game features
- Resume feature which automatically saves your progress
- Touch screen controls for movement
- Creep mode using tilt for fine tuned movement

Find the monolith, and help Astro Charlie escape from the moon!"
11-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Last edited by starjimstar; 11-05-2010 at 12:24 PM.

11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks starjimstar, I've sorted out my original post now

Last edited by Planetshooter; 11-05-2010 at 12:37 PM.
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I absolutely loved this game on the Commodore 64. I guess that really shows my age. Will definitely check this one out, so thanks for posting about it!
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I found the gloves and the gun and killed the space worms so far. :-)

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
looks sweet!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm still working on my game impressions, trying to decide whether almost perfectly realised nostalgic gaming is reason enough for a very positive review, or whether old games that were similar to earlier titles (at the time) should even be appearing on handheld devices 25 years later...

Meanwhile, here's some related information:

Wikpiedia entry for the original game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodes_of_Yesod

Crash magazine's review of the Spectrum version - see how close the graphics are in the iPhone's 'classic' mode:
http://www.crashonline.org.uk/19/nodes.htm

A full map of the game (obviously a spoiler, so don't click if you don't want to know):
http://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=Nod...=0&part=5&ath=

Last edited by Planetshooter; 11-05-2010 at 04:38 PM.
11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
My first thought on seeing this was the wish that someone would remake Starquake... (also 25 years old). As long as the controls are managable, I'll have to give this a go.
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Cool! First played this on a Spectrum emulator years ago and thought it was a pretty cool game. I might have to check this out.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
11-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Game Impressions

Classic mode is a very good graphical representation of the ZX Spectrum version. Going up against current iPhone/iPod games (even retro games), this would not have been wise if this was the only version available in this game. As it is not the only version it can be judged as a piece of gaming history, presented in a very playable touch-screen format, which will quickly be passed by with a nostalgic smile in order to play the enhanced version.

The enhanced version is interesting because it not only updates the graphics to something that looks considerably less than 25 years old, although maybe not quite today's graphics, but adds a few playablility enhancements too which are definite nods to the casual gaming experience.

Nodes of Yesod is the same instantly playable, occasionally quite frustrating, game that it always was. Jumping from one narrow platform to another often results in a collision with an indestructible enemy that sends the player character bouncing uncontrollably like a human pinball. And then falling, falling, falling...

The map is fixed and object locations are always the same, but different objects spawn randomly at those locations in each new game. The aim of the game is to navigate a flick-screen playform environment collecting items and avoiding enemies or long falls. And that's pretty much it. Watch the gameplay video earlier in this thread and you will know everything you need to about how this plays.

Controls work well: virtual joystick and a jump button. I'd prefer an option to have button control for movement too, but that's really just pedantic personal preference. The joystick works fine.

The enhanced version, which I am positive is the version most players will choose, gives information about what to do next and includes a fairly handy map grid that can be viewed by tapping anywhere on the game screen above the controls. One minor annoyance I encountered was regularly accidentally opening the map while using the virtual joystick. I'd recommend raising the lower limit for the map toggle area of the screen, or just make it the top half of the screen.

For those who remember the original game, this doesn't actually offer anything really new but does bring this very solid platform adventure to the iPhone and gives you the chance to play a fairly classic retro game without running an emulator or getting your Spectrum out of the loft and finding it doesn't work very well with a 42 inch plasma TV.

Younger players and/or those unfamiliar with the original game might just find the whole experience a bit too retro and often too difficult, although the ability to continue (with score reset instead of starting from the beginning each time) definitely caters for more casual gamers and short play sessions.

Overall, I'd give this a definite recommendation with a rather large warning that it IS an old game and it feels like one, but if that doesn't put you off - go get it.