★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Exploration is no place for a human! Behold, the DungeonMoto, a fearless clockwork-adventurer sturdily-designed for exploring uncharted area, doing battle with its inhabitants and amassing riches on your behalf. All from the safety of your "remote control device".

DungeonMoto is combination neo-retro arcade and hack-and-slash style rpg hybrid: Explore, roam dungeons and collect gold in a classic arcade ("wakka wakka") sort of way. Encounter monsters, mobs, treasures, peddlers, traps and more! The encounters might help, they might hurt shaving off some of your health, but they could also be a swarm of battle-hardened monsters, eager for taste of metal parts and wheels!

Features:

* Combines both arcade and rpg game elements in a retroesque setting, brought to you in vibrant 4-bit color!

* Arcade-like exploration with swipe-and-lift based or virtual D-pad based directional controls (up, down, left, right).

* Multiple unique dungeon layouts to traverse. Some are nice and roomy. Some have lots of dead ends! Look out!

* Encounter one of over 30 different types of creatures wandering the dungeon: skeletons, zombies, dragons and more

* Discover traps, chests, amulets, peddlers and more!

* Turn-based combat: tap the adjacent creature you want to attack, use 8-direction movement controls to maneuver.

* Losing the battle? Give the iPhone a shake and use one of your magic potions or RUN AWAY!

* Full integration with GameCenter. Save and compare your high scores and accomplishments!

* One download gets you iPhone and "HD" iPad versions

* Play with the 8-bit sound effects and music to enhance your mood or or hack and slash to your own tunes

* Auto-savepoints are created at the beginning of each level, so you can go back to your game after a phone restart, crash, etc.

* Supports play suspension in the background

===========================
Praise from our players:

"Better than a blender with wings!"
"Fun and original!"
"Lots of RPG action..."
"You guys rock!"
"Thanks folks! Keep it coming!"
11-05-2010, 11:28 PM
A video or a tofter needed urgently !!!

11-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Game Impressions

Now here's a game that from the looks of it could easily be either really bad or really good. Luckily it's the latter.

It's Rogue crossed with Pac-Man. And it's really good. You really don't need to know more than that. (And there's really not much more than that to know.)
11-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Now here's a game that from the looks of it could easily be either really bad or really good. Luckily it's the latter.

It's Rogue crossed with Pac-Man. And it's really good. You really don't need to know more than that. (And there's really not much more than that to know.)
No kidding? Well, with that comparison who could resist?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
11-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Haha, great and highly unique idea!
Love the music and like the overall presentation (loading screen with floppy sound). This game needs: a) better swipe control (it works but is far from perfect) and b) more content ...then it can be huge.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
11-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by your personal robot View Post
Haha, great and highly unique idea!
Love the music and like the overall presentation (loading screen with floppy sound). This game needs: a) better swipe control (it works but is far from perfect) and b) more content ...then it can be huge.
You know, I was going to complain about the swipe control (and I still think buttons would actually work better) then realized that it's most likely intentional since after all you are supposed to be controlling something that rolls along the pathways. I suppose whether or not it works as a gameplay device is still questionable.
11-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Actually, the controls are quite bad, especially on the bigger maps where you're moving around a lot quicker. I found myself continually passing corridors that I wanted to move into over and over and over again. Highly annoying, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

But there is a bigger problem, one that is essentially gamebreaking (at least up until the 4th floor, to which point I just played)--every time you enter a battle with a question mark (it could be a monster or a trap, although I don't know why traps are moving around in this dungeon) it takes you to a battle screen. When you return to the maze all the question marks are repositioned into new spots. That in itself would be fine, but the problem is that you can simply run away from every enemy you encounter. You can't do this to traps, but there aren't enough to offset the health you gain (from leveling up? I'm not sure) and so, essentially, there is no reason to play, really, because you can just easily progress in the game without fighting anything if you so wish.

The music is fantastic and the core concept is extremely cool, but unless there are significant gameplay and control tweaks, this won't be something I go back to.

Edit: after reading other comments I came back to the game and realize I was approaching it wrong. The fact that you lose points for fleeing helps explain the ability to always run away. I really think the information screen needs to be more obvious, and the title screen in general is poorly laid out. I think the "Journey" option and the information should be more prominently shown and the developer's information should be put minimized in relation to those two selections. As I didn't notice the information screen I thought this game was a dungeon crawler: ie. a game where you're trying to get to the highest level possible, rather than what it really is, which is a pure arcade game.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

Last edited by medianotzu; 11-07-2010 at 12:11 AM.
11-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Damn, I did want to like this, but swipe controls automatically turn me off for a game like this (unless they're done like Sword of Fargoal) and the roaming question marks and battles/traps sounds ... well, odd. I dunno, I think I'll wait and see if the dev shows up and addresses some of the issues brought up here. 'Cos otherwise this looks like a really well executed neo-retro mashup.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
11-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Game Impressions

The idea is excellent, the execution needs work. Don't stop reading there, though, because the game does have promise.

First of all, it's not a Roguelike; I don't disagree with Gabrien's characterization, because "Rogue meets Pac-Man" is the best way to describe the game, but I just want to temper expectations. There is no gear; you can't be a Roguelike without pHat l3wtz.

The music is a-maze-ing; perfectly suited to the retro style and very catchy, as well. The varied sizing in levels is a nice touch. The enemy art is great; killer tomatoes, wraiths, and a very agitated Dreamcast icon. The fact that your little adventurer motors around on a wheel is genius and I love the name (which I misspelled in the thread title, mods).

Yes, the swipe controls feel unresponsive at times. There is next to no strategy in combat. You can move, melee attack, or cast a spell (if you have a potion). Not putting tunnels on the maze edges is a huge missed opportunity. There should be a penalty for fleeing combat. Personally, I think the dots should have been gold in color to better represent gold, thematically. Now I'm being too picky.

Like I said, it's a great core idea that doesn't currently fulfill the promise it represents. There is a good game under here, if the developer is willing to delve deep for it.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 11-06-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: SP
11-06-2010, 11:07 AM
i will put this game on my wish list..and i will buy it for sure when it is fixed