★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is it time that Apple got serious about hardcore games and hardcore gamers?

View Poll Results: Is it time that Apple got serious about hardcore games and hardcore gamers?
Yes 14 51.85%
No 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll
11-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Is it time that Apple got serious about hardcore games and hardcore gamers?

For games like Angry Birds, Flight Control etc, touch screen controls are ideal and more than adequate.

But the iPhone is about to get more traditional games, like this...
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Vario...ws.asp?c=24893

From the makers of Epic Citadel. And the best part is, the devs said they can pull off a game along the lines of Gears of War, but with better graphics on the iPhone as well.

The video looks mind blowing, but the previews all indicate that with all the various gestures to pull off the moves, it's clunky, as opposed to traditonal controls on similar games like God of War 3.

IMO, traditional games like this, are enhanced greatly traditional controls. There are only so many buttons/gestures you can squeeze onto a 3.5 inch touchscreen before it gets cluttered and confusing.

And there is a very easy fix...

There is a reason why Call of Duty is ported to every single gaming platform out there, except for the smartphone market. As Activision said, a game like Call of Duty needs buttons, lots of them, as well as dual analog sticks.

Apple just has to either release, or support something along what's pictured, and suddenly, a game like Final Fantasy or Halo or Gears of War becomes viable on the iPhone. Bungies next game might well see an iPhone release. The next Call of Duty might get an iPhone release. All it takes for that to happen is for an accessory like the one pictured to get released and supported by Apple.
11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Here is how it would work. Apple releases something as pictured and soon Street Fighter, Black Pegasus, NOVA2, CoD: Zombies and a host of other shooters and platformers all get updated to both support the attachment and retain their current controls if they don't detect it.

These two quotes sum up my point perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
The majority of hardcore gamers which havent looked at the iDevice as a gaming console are dismissing it completely coz of lack of controls. I really think an Apple supported gaming accessory will be a giant leap for iDevices as a gaming console. Just look at any non-iOS centric gaming blog like kotako and everytime they mention an iPhone game, the comments are full of people dismissing iDevices coz of crappy touch controls. I cant blame them.
And this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
I'd love to see a good controller case, so long as it doesn't look like complete crap and matches the styling of the platform.

I love iOS gaming, but for many games the TS is pathetic for controls. Especially some types of action games. Would be great to have options for people who want real controls instead.
Yes, games like Doodle Jump and Angry Birds are fun.

But at some point, gamers want to be able to play Call of Duty: Black Ops on the iPhone. Wouldn't you personally want to be able to play Gears of War on the iPhone? Honestly, as long as atleast Gameloft supports it, I would be happy. Playing Modern Combat 1/2 and Nova 1/2 with dual analogs would be a dream come true.

Also, this would benefit independent developers like you guys too. First, this would increase the appeal of iPhone gaming to gamers like these who demand buttons before they take gaming seriously...

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=27498866

Due to the low cost of making games on the iPhone, an independent developer could with some hard work make the next Call of Duty style game that supports such an accessory and rake in the cash. A small developer team would finally have a shot to take on the big dogs like Activision if such an accessory gets released.

What's wrong with the iPhone being a gaming platform? It's not as if all it's other uses go away just because you can play traditional games with traditional controls on it as well. And it's not as if games like Doodle Jump and Flight Control would disappear either. Games designed around the touch screen would still remain the most popular, as not every single iPhone owner will buy such an accessory.

The more markets, and the more gamers iPhone gaming appeals to, the better.

Last edited by wikoogle; 11-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.

11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
You can't get serious on a system that has no buttons...

And if you're going to say something about that hardware attachment where you put your iPhone in it, then good luck playing with that.

All I have to say is that the iPhone is a PHONE, not a gaming platform.Tthe iPod Touch is an iPOD for MUSIC, not a gaming platform. It's made for multimedia, NOT games, but it plays games.

Same thing with the PSP and DS: they're made for GAMES, not multimedia, but they can play multimedia.

You can't get hardcore on a platform that has games as its secondary feature.
11-06-2010, 02:54 PM
You must kidding me.
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchennyken View Post

And if you're going to say something about that hardware attachment where you put your iPhone in it, then good luck playing with that.

All I have to say is that the iPhone is a PHONE, not a gaming platform.Tthe iPod Touch is an iPOD for MUSIC, not a gaming platform. It's made for multimedia, NOT games, but it plays games.

Same thing with the PSP and DS: they're made for GAMES, not multimedia, but they can play multimedia.

Then why are epic games, apple, ea and gameloft sinking so much money into iPhone gaming?

The lack of buttons is an easy fix as that mockup shows, so why not fix it?
11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Double post

Last edited by wikoogle; 11-06-2010 at 03:12 PM.
11-06-2010, 03:05 PM
There would kind of need to be shoulder buttons to play a shooter with that :P
11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
fyi this isn't a new or original idea.

My take on it is WHY? Why on earth would I want to make my iphone like every other console I ever owned and still own? I enjoy iphone games because i like seeing developers try to design games built around the iphones unique input methods. Not because I want to play *AAA CONSOLE TITLE 5* on a tiny touch screen.

Games like Jet Car Stunts, Hook Champ/Super Quick Hook, Tilt to Live are examples of developers making games that would not control better with buttons and for me, its games like these that keep me playing iphone games. For me its not a matter of casual vs hardcore its a matter of design standpoint.
11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:

roflmao

btw OP, isn't this a replica of the post from acouple days ago? Wtf? troll much?

Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 11-06-2010 at 03:32 PM.
11-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:

The iPhone IS a gaming machine now. It's been modified for retina, and Steve has even called it a gaming machine. Apple is changing fast and additional control options might not be far off. The iPhone wasn't initially built for games, but after all this success and the ports (including Call Of Duty) it's really picking up....

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero