★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 50% OFF FOR THE NEXT 48hrs | OMG Blocks! - the Worlds Most Epic Match-3 Game!

11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
50% OFF FOR THE NEXT 48hrs | OMG Blocks! - the Worlds Most Epic Match-3 Game!

Hey everyone!

Im the lead designer of OMG Blocks! and we wanted to give everyone a chance to get in on the action soo..
for the next 48 hours its 50% off! Thats only $0.99!!!

OMG Blocks! available on the app store now!

It seriously is the most epic multi-touch match-3 block swapping game out there!

IT has tons of challenging achievements and a bunch of awesome themes to unlock!

Check out the game play video!

Also: You can download the epic extended title track (writen by me ) HERE!
as a thank you just for looking - Hope you enjoy it - its free.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Robert H; 11-08-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: SALE EXTENTED!!! don't wait to snag a copy for yourself! :)
11-07-2010, 01:55 PM
well, it certainly looks rather frantic. it's a little hard to tell how it plays however.. is it like Tetris Attack, where the pieces are rising up and you can swap left or right? looks like it also has pieces dropping from above. I notice that there's also special "red columns" rising up as well..?

I have a "hectic play" video of my game as well, but I think I need to put in about 10 seconds clarifying the rules to make it easier to understand for 1st-time viewer, maybe you might wanna think to do that as well?

game looks interesting, I'll definitely try it if you release a lite (and if I get hooked on that I'll certainly buy!)

11-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey, thanks for taking a look I do agree that this particular clip focuses on the speed and mayhem aspect of the game and leaves the user to wonder what else is in the game. We are working on a follow up video, it will probably be posted this weekend.

I actually have your app 180, it's different, I like different, that's what we focus on, one our faveorite reviewers said "if tetris and bejeweled had crazy sex and had a baby, this game would be it!" we love that because we are huge tetris fans but we have always felt that it never really translated well to the touch interface well and we wanted to make a match-3 that was centered on multi-touch and hand jestures. Though this is just the beginning of OMG Blocks! We are currently working on 2 additional modes

Thanks again and I hope you get a chance to playit!

Much luck in your future app adventures.
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
thanks dude! I will do you a solid (oh god, I am talking like a "brah") and DL your game today and report back after I put it through the motions.

i share your love of Tetris (I still swear by the old B/W Gameboy one, it's so old but damn if it isn't still the most fun!) and I agree that the game, while still enjoyable, doesn't translate as well to a touch screen.

I appreciate the kind words!
11-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey Thanks!

Now that I think of it, I need to review your game too! I try and review all the apps I download but with over 250+ apps... lol but I should have somethin up tonight as well
11-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Hey Thanks!

Now that I think of it, I need to review your game too! I try and review all the apps I download but with over 250+ apps... lol but I should have somethin up tonight as well
250 apps - yeah that's gonna take you awhile

Anyway I got some time in with OMG Blocks. This is a good game, and definitely worthy of a download in my humble opinion. Here's a review for ya..

Very clean presentation, very quick to boot up, the polish is slick and the interface is very friendly and welcoming. It feels a lot more thoughtful and well-conceived than many of the more amateur-looking apps out there, and that makes me think that the dev wanted to wait until "things were just right" before releasing this.

First impressions: the name is a little funky, the icon is alright.. none of those got my attention, but the "hectic gameplay video" was the thing that turned me onto this one, if not I never would have grabbed the game. Watching the video didn't tell me much about gameplay, other than that it was Tetris-Attack-like. That particular game has been done plenty on iPhone (Puzzle Panel, SeaGlass) and I am pretty tired of it, but I suspected this was different somehow.

Played the game for about 30min, didn't look at any in-game instructions (as I notice most "casual players" won't go out of their way to do). I played the game as if it was Tetris Attack, swapping pieces horizontally. Hmm bombs were a nice touch, but I kept getting frustrated as my stacks would rise quickly with no easy way to knock them down. Got tired of that and ended my session, didn't expect to play any more.

Because we'd talked in this forum a bit, I decided to look at the game again (and did look at the instructions). First thing I realized.. "WAIT you can swap vertically as well?" Okay now that was interesting. I replayed and now the game made a lot more sense, and was much more enjoyable. Now I knew I could really get into it! After a bit more playtime, I've had a good bit of fun with it and I will come back to see how high I can crank up my scores

Now to air some issues:

- I dislike the bonus skins. The initial one is a little dull, but by far it is the easiest to read especially in the heat of gameplay. If you could dress the game up to look something like Puzzle Cosmos/Lumines, then I think it would get a lot more attention (and still be readable). I haven't unlocked the other skins yet so I reserve my judgement, might be some awesome ones in there! Of course you might want to test with colorblind players too to make sure the game is legible to them as well. The side-effect of that is that the game will read better to color-sighted players as well, and therefore it will just be easier to deal with when the game gets really hectic!

- The ability to tap & swap is very well done, and gives a TON of control the likes of which I've not really seen in other games of this style. Unfortunately, it comes with a lack of feedback. I wish there was some visual cue when you tapped your "A" piece and likewise when you hit a "B" piece. Maybe it flashes, pulses or gets a halo or something. Just something to feel that it's affected. It sounds petty but those little touches go a long way to make up for the lack of tactile feedback we must deal with on touchscreen (versus buttons). This is something which iPhone Lumines handles VERY well, it just makes that game so much enjoyable to "handle." As it is, I often hit a piece but maybe I am not sure if I hit the right piece.. it's an uncertain feeling I don't like when gameplay gets busy, but then I suppose you get used to it.

- the red "you're gonna die" columns are both good and bad. I like the mechanic a lot, it's actually quite novel and brings a very deep and unique level of intensity to the game. Unfortunately the execution is a bit funky as it obscures the pieces a bit too much - when this mode occurs of course I am getting panicky (particularly when the game is already going fast) and if I am having trouble reading the column, then it is just frustrating. However it is important to visually show that this column is about to kill the whole game, which is obviously happening here. Maybe if it was just slightly more transparent, or something.

- picky stuff (for the sake of pickiness) - being a Tetris Attack player I expect a delay when there's combos and chains, and don't notice any here. This is fine but goes against what I expect, especially as that is the opportunity to do "housecleaning" in these kinds of games. The effect makes chaining/big combos more rewarding, and makes it easier to push your "fast game" into deeper territory. The bomb element makes up for this though, as they come often enough and are quick and easy to effect. I wish there was a little more flourish from them (or chaining, or something) but again - that's me being picky.

- openFeint.. yadda yadda. I am one of those who always notices when it's not there, but at least you've got the whole general achievement system implemented (and very nicely thought-out). Biggest issue is that I cant find a way to access the global leaderboard?

All in All this is a very solid puzzler and a great experience on the iPhone. I went in-depth on my issues with it simply because I always look at this stuff from a design standpoint, and it's always helpful to share thoughts on how to make a great game into a truly classic game. OMG Blocks is a top-notch effort from a talented team, and I look forward to spending more time with this beast! Even the most jaded match-3 player should pick this game up, it is easy to fall in love and provides a hearty challenge!

I will leave an (abridged) review on iTunes as well. Great job guys!
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the review! I really appreciate the time and thought you put into it! This was our first app, and I must admit, it became more of a beast than we expected lol, but for our first release we were happy with the results and we have a great deal in store to really take it over the top in future updates!

Now, You have done a fine job pointing out nearly ALL the areas that we are currently working on! I thought that was a fantastic insight on your part, Particularly the part of Selection Feedback, We are currently preparing an update that will correct that, it definitely adds a great deal of player satisfaction.

It was interesting to hear your first time experience with the app not having looked over the guide, lol, but your right, not many players will read it so we are working on a "first play" type of tutorial to really make sure the player understands the full set of moves and plays they can utilize throughout the game. Including Multi-touch, which I think is a huge asset during intense moments of play.

Oh and for the Global high scores list, just hit the scoreboard button on the main menu and when you get to the local scoreboard just swipe to the left or right to change views between Local, Global All Time, Daily global, Weekly global, and Monthly global. I'm at the top so far with over 6,000,000 points lol!
Hint: Its all about the multipliers and bombs! Keep successfully clearing blocks on every move and your multiplier goes up, you loose your chain of multipliers if you move and nothing is cleared but when your in those moments where there seems no way to clear blocks without loosing your chain, use a bomb! you won't lose your chain and this may just put you back in the position to keep chaining ;)

We are also working on a less obstructive method for displaying the warning timer bars so that not only does the player still get that feeling of intensity but it is also still just as clear to them which columns are in danger.

Have you tried connecting 3 bombs together? Save em up for when your about to lose and Boom!

All in all I think your review was fair and accurate given the amount of time you spent with the game, (Thank you!) I think that our game turned out to have a steeper learning curve that we had hoped but with a few good goes at it and a look or 2 at the guide should yield some great fun and great scores! do unlock some of those extra skins though :) some offer advantages, while others are novelties like the LED theme! Also there is a template on our site that anyone can download and create custom themes with and submit for a chance to have them featured in the game! its available here And

Once you get to some of the higher levels, try adjusting your starting blocks level, you get more points per blocks and per combo etc for being on the faster levels but you can take advantage of starting with only 4 block types rather than 7 or 8.

Thanks again, and keep a look out for an update which will address most of the areas you addressed! I trust I will see you on the top 100 all time high scores list soon ;)
11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the response! I didn't mean to come across like I was harping, just trying to offer some constructive criticism. I do really enjoy this game and look forward to spending a lot more time with it.

Also might I note, if this is genuinely your first effort doing independent development on the iPhone then I must say in that regard it is truly a superior piece of work, and is very full-featured and polished considering that.

Thanks again for the gameplay hints as well! Never thought of lining up the bombs...

I would be very interested to see a post-mortem of the game if you guys ever decide to write one! (I need to make one myself, still..)

11-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I thrive on constructive criticism! Developers need to not be so sensitive when someone says hay, what about this?!?!! lol. The more people point out, the better this app and future apps will be, So thanks again for your review

I looked up the post-mortem site, I think I will write one up after we get out our first update, detailing the entire process. Oh and yeah this was truly our first complete game for any platform so thanks again for your encourraging words ^^

Oh and PS to anyone else out there - The app is still 50% off so dont wait too long