Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-13-2010, 02:16 PM

For the record, Silverfish the game was directly inspired by silverfish the bugs. I'm slightly obsessed with insects and just love how they move - they're like tiny little robots

The response to Silverfish has been overwhelmingly positive. It has a 5 star rating on the US app store (19 reviews and counting) and has been featured in a couple sub-sections by Apple. Still, it's having trouble staying in the charts. I can't help but feel the icon is mostly to blame so I'm redoing that at the moment, but I can really use some help spreading the word! This is a niche genre and the fans really make the difference

I'm hard at work on the first minor update (menu/sound issues) and look forward to adding multitasking and a bunch of new modes as soon as humanly possible.

P.S. Someone just broke 20 million on Game Center in Reaper mode
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 PM
iPhone 4

When you look at the games that have consistently sold well and stayed in the charts.. Examples being Angry Birds, cut the rope, flight control,fruit ninja, trainyard .... They all have one thing in common, and that is the price, they are all 59p.. At that price many people buy the games and consider the price a 'throwaway' price. Meaning they will 'give it a go regardless' and only losing 59p on a game isn't such a bad pill to swallow.

I love silverfish, spirit, till to live etc and was happy to pay the full price, but I wanna see you all make a success with your games, but can't help thinking you might sell more at the lower price.

Proof in what I'm saying is the other day in work I was playing silverfish, when a work colleague who also has an iPhone came over and thought the game looked great, he immediately went on the app store but was put off by the price... And I know he would of bought it at 59p.

Hope this helps

One other thing... Are we likely to see an iPad version anytime soon....?.

Last edited by UncleLimey; 11-13-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleLimey View Post
When you look at the games that have consistently sold well and stayed in the charts.. Examples being Angry Birds, cut the rope, flight control,fruit ninja, trainyard .... They all have one thing in common, and that is the price, they are all 59p.. At that price many people buy the games and consider the price a 'throwaway' price. Meaning they will 'give it a go regardless' and only losing 59p on a game isn't such a bad pill to swallow.

I love silverfish, spirit, till to live etc and was happy to pay the full price, but I wanna see you all make a success with your games, but can't help thinking you might sell more at the lower price.

Proof in what I'm saying is the other day in work I was playing silverfish, when a work colleague who also has an iPhone came over and thought the game looked great, he immediately went on the app store but was put off by the price... And I know he would of bought it at 59p.

Hope this helps

One other thing... Are we likely to see an iPad version anytime soon....?.
I totally agree with you.
I was buying the game but when I realized that it was not 59p, I decide to wait reduction in price.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM

I hear ya - got a 1 star review in France today because it was "too expensive" and "pixelated" (wait WTF?) Anyway, I'm not going after the top 10. I'm not even concerned with the top 100 - If I was, I would've made a completely different game. However, if I'm to make a serious go at this I do need to find a comfy spot on the arcade chart - at least for a little while. I'm confident the game has the chops to do this - I'm not so confident in my marketing skills (or lack thereof). And I've got zero confidence in my marketing budget

The downward pricing pressure is enormous however, doubly so at this time of the year. Big companies (looking at you EA) are running absolutely INSANE sales in a ploy for chart domination in time for the holidays. I'm definitely feeling the pressure and I know many other indie developers are as well.

Silverfish hasn't even been out for a week so I'm not doing the panicky pee-pee dance just yet It's doing relatively well for now and a price drop so soon just ain't gonna happen. Hell, it's actually on sale right now! I've been doing this since 2008, and have clear indisputable statistics that show you get a better return with higher prices once you're off the charts. I have a threshold already set in stone where the price goes up to $2.99.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Does the game save your high score locally without accessing Game Center? I really want to buy the game but not being able to at least see my high score would ruin the chances.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

I agree with the need to change the icon. Current one is just not very "inviting". As far as the price argument goes, this subject was discussed to death many times. While more copies may be sold as a result of price drop, the game has to sell double the number of copies to get as much money back. Price drops have to coincide with marketing efforts or being featured in top ten/what's hot sections, etc. Price drops by themselves will do nothing. I knew nothing about this game till I saw this thread and I lurk here everyday. Anyway, it's another gem in a sea of ****.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 PM

@Touchgamer3g Yes, your highscores will be saved for each mode. But you currently have to start a game to see them as they're only shown at the bottom of the screen in-game and on the game-over screen. I'm planning on showing highscores on the main menu in an update (soon), so you can jump through all the modes and see your best scores in one spot.

@UncleLimey I forgot to answer your iPad question I think it's been discussed earlier in this thread but the plan right now is to beef up the iPhone/iPod version with multitasking and a couple new modes, then concentrate on an iPad version. It's doubtful I'll have time to start working on the iPad till January.

Last edited by ChaoticBox; 11-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: My grammar REALLY sucks!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
iPhone 4

Cool, will buy the iPad version too once you finally get around to it.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Condello View Post
@Touchgamer3g Yes, your highscores will be saved for each mode. But you currently have to start a game to see them as they're only shown at the bottom of the screen in-game and on the game-over screen. I'm planning on showing highscores on the main menu in an update (soon), so you can jump through all the modes and see your best scores in one spot.
Alright alright, you convinced me to finally buy it . And wow... Silverfish is an incredible game! I grasped the control scheme naturally and found it very intuitive- grid based, no? Very Pacman-like.

Could you explain the differences between the 3 game modes in-depth? I played each and so far they all seem very similar.

Overall, I'm content with my purchase. I am looking forward to seeing my high scores for each mode in the main menu in the next update and (hopefully) achievements unlockable in-game without accessing Game Center.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchgamer3g View Post
Could you explain the differences between the 3 game modes in-depth? I played each and so far they all seem very similar.
The differences are subtle at first, but succeeding in each mode requires focusing on different tasks. All the current modes require you to grab Power Pods (the big orange shiny things) to destroy enemies, and collecting Protons (little green spinny things) to increase your score multiplier. Increasing your score multiplier is the key to racking up points.

Reaper Mode

In this mode you have a POW meter and die when that reaches zero. You lose POW slowly over time and loose a bunch when you hit enemy bugs. In this mode the Power Pods (orange orbs) destroy enemies like usual but also recharge your POW. If you hit 100% POW (MAX POW) you become invincible - and scary red with horns - and can eat enemy bugs for a short time. Yes, like Pac Mac While you're at MAX POW you get a temporary additionally score multiplier than increases with each enemy that you eat.

Reaper mode features a Time Shock powerup (tap screen with 2 fingers to activate) that pushes away enemies and puts you in slow-mo-bullet-time for a short time allowing you to get out of sticky situations. You get 3 Time Shocks to start, and bonus Time Shocks at 100,000 points and then at 10X the previous threshold. So again at 1,000,000 then 10,000,000 etc.

Basic strategy for Reaper mode is to collect the Power Pods as quickly as possible to reach MAX POW as often as possible, and eat as many enemies as possible. But don't forget about the Protons, 'cause when the two multipliers are in effect you can earn huge points. Save your Time Shocks for when you really need them - e.g. when you're flashing red (low POW) and surrounded.

Scavenger Mode

This is another mode that uses a POW meter. Like Reaper mode your POW drains slowly over time and quickly when you hit enemy bugs. Unlike Reaper, you charge your POW by collecting Protons (green things) rather than Power Pods (orange orbs). But you still need to grab Power Pods quickly to destroy enemies since Protons come from dead bugs - it's science folks! When you hit MAX POW in this mode you don't become invincible, but you do flash green and get a 10X bonus for every Proton you collect while at MAX POW.

The power up in Scavenger mode is a standard kill-everything bomb. Here again you get 3 to start and bonus bombs at 100,000 points then 1,000,000, 10,000,000 etc.

The strategy here is to collect as many Protons as possible after every blast. Avoiding collisions and reaching and maintaining MAX POW is the key to a good high score in this mode. You can use bombs as a last resort when low on POW, or strategically to hit MAX POW and earn bonus points.

Onslaught Mode

This mode does away with the POW meter and gives you 4 lives instead. You loose a life when you hit an enemy. This is definitely the most difficult mode as it mixes enemies that both chase you and run in patterns. Onslaught features the same bomb powerup as Scavenger mode, but you also get an extra life when you hit the bonus thresholds (100,000 points etc.).

Best strategy for Onslaught mode is don't hit stuff You'll also want to kill bugs as fast as possible to avoid being overwhelmed. Save your bombs for when you really need them, but note that you don't get points for bombing enemies, so although it's tempting to get rid of those pesky hornets with a bomb you'll be loosing out on some serious points.

HTH!