• Publisher: Chaotic Box
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 14.6 MB
  • Version: 1.1.9
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.4 (18)
App description: Weave through waves of attacking space bugs and use powerful detonations to destroy your foes! Silverfish was designed for touch input to provide authentic and unrelenting arcade action. It's retro reborn and reimagined!

CONTROLS: Flick Up, Down, Left, and Right anywhere on the screen to change direction. Tap with 2 fingers to activate a powerup. Alternate control styles are available in the settings menu and can be fully tweaked to your preference.

Reviews
- IGN: 8.5/10 "Editors' Choice"
- GamePro/PCWorld: 5 out of 5
- Touch Arcade: 4.5 out of 5
- The Electric Playground: 9/10 and 8/10
- WIRED Magazine: 8 out of 10
- 148apps: 4.5 out of 5
- Yahoo's Appolicious: 5 out of 5
- Eurogamer: 8 out of 10
- AppAdvice: 4.5/5 "MUST BUY"
- Pocket Gamer: 8/10 "Silver Award"

- Reaper Mode -
Charge your POW and avoid enemies with the awesome Time Shock powerup. Earn MAX POW and turn the tables on your foes!

- Onslaught Mode -
Destroy waves of enemies as quickly as possible to avoid an overwhelming swarm. Drive up your score multiplier to rack up points and earn extra lives.

- Scavenger Mode -
Keep your POW from draining by destroying enemies and collecting tasty Protons.

- Haste Mode -
A constant race to max out your POW and defeat your foes. Full-on intense action right out of the gate!

Visit http://chaoticbox.com for more fun :)

ChaoticBox's comments:
Read the Touch Arcade Review!

01-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Here's my problem: I used to have silverfish all over in my basement and I've got a phobia about those disgusting little things. They're creepier than cockroaches to me. So while the game looks pretty cool, I don't think I can stomach seeing a silverfish, not even a stylish neon one!
That is hilarious. That's the exact same reason I never got Spider: the secret of Bryce manor. Except with spiders. I always felt like I was missing out.
01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Updating now

To those that are on the fence: this is an enjoyable, quality game and at 99c it should be a freaking no-brainer.

01-10-2011, 02:12 PM
@eev : The trick to the controls is to lift your finger off the screen after ever move or two. Try turning up the d-pad follow setting to 1/4 or 1/2 the way up - you'll be surprised how much easier it becomes with a bit of practice. I'm considering a stationary option, it's just difficult to do it right since the game is fullscreen and it'll always be in the way.

@FPE : I'll confess I usually play it on my iPad I'm looking into universal support, though in that case it will just be blown-up iphone version to keep the leaderboards fair. I'd like to do a full-blown "HD" port with a bigger play field but that's a ways off at this point.

@Hitch :

@spyky : If you crank the d-pad "follow" option to the max then yes, it's very similar to the swipe controls (which I now call "flick" controls, BTW). The big difference is when the follow speed is off or lowish. The biggest complaint I had about the controls was that people were accidentally flicking in a new direction when lifting their finger off the screen. The d-pad is much more forgiving in that respect, and the visuals provide useful feedback so you can see exactly how the game is interpreting the input. That said, I consider the d-pad more of a training wheel for the flick controls than anything else.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: www.chaoticbox.com Twitter YouTube
01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Haste mode is great! 11m on my second try... loving it!
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Bought. Should've done it a long time ago.
01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Game is fantastic and is worth at least $2.99, IMHO.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the update!
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm downloading it now. Thanks for the sale! Will post impressions once I get a chance to try it out.
01-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Wonderful game and wonderful update! (only problem is, not sure if I will go back to normal reaper mode again after this).

This is a really great game and I have had heaps of fun playing. Love the theme and the graphics. The new infected bugs look really creepy!

Also, does anyone know what the AI of the hornets is supposed to be?
01-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terelin View Post
Also, does anyone know what the AI of the hornets is supposed to be?
They'll chase you no matter how far away you might be, except when you approach a power pod. At that point they'll turn away and try to get out of the blast radius, but they'll soon turn back and keep testing to see if you're still near the pod. You can use that hesitation to psych them out by skimming past a pod then turning into it just as they turn back to check where you're at. These guys are most dangerous when they're right on your tail - they don't always follow your exact position but may try to lead you a bit, so they'll often nail you by anticipating your next turn. HTH!

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: www.chaoticbox.com Twitter YouTube
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Only had a short time to play it last night, but I like it. I'm not crazy liking it (yet?) but it is fun. I like the 4 different play modes, that adds to the game. The one thing I'm not sure about is the limitation of movement to up/down/left/right. I'm not sure why that was done and it can be frustrating at times. Still, I can see having fun with this and I'm sure I'll get use to the movement limitations. Also, and unlike Tilt to Live, I can play this while laying in bed. Win.