★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: List of Amiga ports?

03-17-2009, 02:30 AM
List of Amiga ports?

I used the search feature before I made this thread, so I don't think this thread has been made before, but anyway...

I was just wondering, how many Amiga ports are on the iPod Touch? I can name 4 off the top of my head...

Amiga ports:

Pinball Dreaming
Onslaught
Super Methane Brothers
Nicky Boom
Payback
Krypton Egg
Crystal Quest
Rouge (Known as Rouge Touch in iPod Touch)
Secret of Monkey Island
Pinball Fantasies
Simon the Sorcerer

I recently started playing Pinball Dreaming and Super Methane Brothers, and it kinda got me interested in the Amiga, even though I have never owned one... so, are there any other ports out there?

Last edited by Pocketim; 08-15-2009 at 07:58 PM.
03-17-2009, 03:24 AM
I have the Pinball games for Amiga on the iPhone and honestly the lagging that happens when the ball gets near your paddle sometimes ruins it for me. I'd hold up until these Amiga ports are running more smoothly.

03-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benegesserit View Post
I have the Pinball games for Amiga on the iPhone and honestly the lagging that happens when the ball gets near your paddle sometimes ruins it for me. I'd hold up until these Amiga ports are running more smoothly.
The lagging occurs because of background processes running in the iPhone - there is no lagging whatsoever on iPod Touch for example. So there's nothing much we can do about them except for the user to force quit Safari and Mail and/or running the device in Airplane mode.

,,juuso // cowboy rodeo
03-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Pocketim, technically Rogue Touch qualifies... while not a direct port (we had no source code to the original games), we based the RT on the rogue versions we played most heavily in our youth. Those happen to be the Atari ST, and to a lesser extent, the Amiga version of rogue. These were some of the first graphic "rogue-likes" in existence, and I loved them enough to recreate them now

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
03-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Indeed, I was going to mention Rogue Touch - not a direct port but it feels very similar to an enhanced version of the Amiga / Atari ST version.

Also:

Payback
Krypton Egg

There's other Amiga-inspired titles out there, as well. Do a site search for 'Amiga'.

And, of course, there's a look at our retro category listing.

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
03-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
I'm still waiting for Zany Golf, which I enjoyed on the Amiga. It's actually an Apple IIgs original, though.

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
03-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekk View Post
The lagging occurs because of background processes running in the iPhone - there is no lagging whatsoever on iPod Touch for example. So there's nothing much we can do about them except for the user to force quit Safari and Mail and/or running the device in Airplane mode.

,,juuso // cowboy rodeo
I use a program called Free Memory before playing a game that has lagging issues and it already force quits that stuff. Games like Rogue Touch (amazing game btw, I forgot that was Amiga) can get away with lag (even though I don't think it ever lags) because it's turn based. Pinball games and anything twitch lag is simply not acceptable.

Take games like iDracula for example. Infinitely superior graphics to the Amiga pinball games (obviously), lots of action on screen..and no lag. It's coding. Not the iPhone. It's simply the case of limited effort in porting. If the iPhone cannot truly handle the software (especially after using non-built-in performance enhancing tools), then don't bother.
03-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I decided to update the first post, so now it has a master list of all the Amiga games. I am currently looking through the retro category listing for more... thanks for helping!