★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Shape Escape

03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Shape Escape

A new game, Shape Escape, is out and is only $0.99 for a limited time and there are 99 levels. It's sort of like Sokoban but there's more to it. I quite like it and think it's worth a look.

When I first bought the app, I was disappointed to see that it was not compatible with my first generation Touch. I emailed the developer who got back to me almost immediately and fixed the problem very quickly. That really impressed me.

If this sort of game appeals to you, please give it a look. I think you'll like it.

I do not know how to put a link in this thread so maybe someone will help me out, please?
03-17-2009, 08:03 AM

there you go....

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!

03-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Fission Quest is very nicely done but it's just glorified sokoban 3D so couldn't get into it but hopefully a few will like it if that's what it takes to get them into sokoban. Shape Escape looks way too hard just like Q Touch is. Just looking at the screenshots makes my head spin. Q Touch is puzzle game I'd love to love but still on level 4 of lite version just absolutely insane.
03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Hello everyone, I am the developer of Shape Escape.

To tangerine: Thank you for starting this thread, and I'm glad you like the game.

To mrbass: Shape Escape does indeed get hard as you progress through the levels. The first several levels are pretty straight-forward, mostly just to get you used to the game rules, then you really begin to notice the challenge. Every level has many solutions, but even more ways to mess up.

To everybody thinking about buying Shape Escape: It is currently on sale as cheap as I could make it without making it free. I'm hoping to make it well worth the price by eventually adding 1 or 2 more level packs of 99 each (up to 297 levels within the next several weeks I would guess, but I'm sure the first 99 levels will take you plenty of time to beat). That is definitely worth it considering how much each level was thought out.

If you enjoy puzzle games, or even if you don't, I am so confident that you will become addicted to Shape Escape that I am releasing a Lite version. The Lite version should be out within a week (Apple is reviewing it), and it will contain the first 9 levels, plus one more in Practice Mode, and an ability to peek at the other 89 levels. These first 9 levels are easy, but should be enough to get you hooked on the game.

Most of all, I recommend you all to leave feedback and reviews so that I know what features are your favorite or what you'd like to see improved.

Thank you,

- Peter
03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
ok nice one - will look out for the lite version !

and yes if it appeals buy the full version
03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by fela originals View Post
The Lite version should be out within a week (Apple is reviewing it), and it will contain the first 9 levels, plus one more in Practice Mode, and an ability to peek at the other 89 levels. These first 9 levels are easy, but should be enough to get you hooked on the game.
Perhaps gives us 1 or 2 medium levels and 1 or 2 hard levels...I like how monospace lite gives you a taste in the lite version of easy, med, hard levels.
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum! I'm a sucker for puzzle games. This looks interesting so I've just purchased it. I'm looking forward to trying it out on my lunch break today.
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello once again,

Just letting you all know that I am working on another level pack of 99 levels for Shape Escape. These levels will be overall easier than the original pack of 99. So there will be an "easy" pack of 99 and the original "medium" pack of 99 levels. Eventually I plan on one more pack of 99 which will be "hard." The "easy" pack may be a little misleading since it is going to start off extremely easy but gradually get pretty hard. Then the original "medium" pack will be the same as it is now: starting off relatively easy and eventually getting very hard. The "hard" pack will probably start off somewhat hard and end up super hard, but that one is not for a while (part of the process of testing the levels means I have to actually beat them all).

I will more than likely finish this new level pack tomorrow, but it will be included in the next update which means Apple may take a week or two to approve it before you will be able to play the new level pack. Don't worry though, because as far as I know nobody has beat the original level pack so that should keep you occupied for the time being. I will keep you guys informed when the update is approved.

Also, I am going to start ending the introductory sale of Shape Escape gradually. Within the next 24 hours the price will go up from $0.99 to $1.99... then in a few more days I will probably set it at a steady $2.99. My reasoning for this is that I am aiming for a minimum of 300 levels, which would mean if you bought Shape Escape at the highest price it would cost you no more than a penny per level.

Other than that, don't get frustrated if you can't beat a level. Even the easy ones are supposed to require a little time to think about it. The goal in campaign mode is simply to beat a level so don't worry about the time or steps, you can go back and set better scores later. If you are really stumped, I can offer tips if you go to the Shape Escape website and send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.

If any of you have suggestions, now is a good time since I may be able to fit them in this upcoming update.

03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Are you going to shift from free updates to DLC? How many levels do you plan to include for free?
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
GatorDeb you bring up a really good point. I was planning on eventually selling the game for $2.99 for 300 levels, but now I have to consider this DLC. I'm not familiar with how to implement it so I will have to look into it. I briefly heard of it but didn't pay attention. I think this may appeal to more users if I sold the game for $0.99 with 99 levels and let them buy additional level packs of 99 for $0.99 each.

Hmm, what do you all think would be more appealing to you?

1) $2.99 for 300+ levels and free updates = my original plan
2) $0.99 for 99 levels and an additional DLC $0.99 for each level pack of 99

It comes out the same for me. Let me hear your opinions. I'll have to consider this, thank you GatorDeb.