★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mission 22 anyone? Shoot-em-Up with nice graphics

10-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Mission 22 anyone? Shoot-em-Up with nice graphics

hi there

Mission 22 appeared on the store and it looks like a horizontal scrolling shoot-em-up with nice graphic effects. Since we had a bunch of really bad and unplayable space horizontal/vertical games I'd be interested if one of you played this game. The developer only offers screenshots, but no videos.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294518388&mt=8

Bye,
Oliver

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Looks nice

I'm have bought this game and will post my thoughts on it later.

edit:
For 1 buck this is a fun little diversion. Basically you are flying a plane (F-22 Raptor) by tilting your phone/ipod and need to shoot down enemy planes and missiles (which are almost as big as your plane so they're more like ICBM's).
These are the only enemies encountered and while the enemy fighters come in different colors and shapes they all go down in one shot so no difference there. You have a cannon and missiles at your disposal which you can restock by shooting the ICBM's. You have three lives and you lose when you run out of lives or ammo. The enemies don't shoot at you, the only way they can harm your aircraft is by crashing into you but you loose points every time an enemy fighter makes it to the other side of the screen.
There are no levels you just fight against an endless onslaught of enemies but you can change the background (choose between five different like a canyon or a shoreline). In the settings you can also change the tilt sensitivity and angle as well as the difficulty but all this seems to do is make the enemies go faster.

Last edited by Chiller ONE; 10-24-2008 at 03:41 PM.

10-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Seems like there's a bunch more of these now... What was the one I saw last night? I think a big comparison review of all the 2-D shooters is in order. Though, rRootage for free is pretty sweet.
10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Well, a shooter with no sound an such slow gameplay feeling like rrootage is just no shooter for me

--
taptoplay.de

10-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Slow? Weird. I could've predicted a million complaints about it, but that one just blind sides me.
10-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Well, the framerate is smooth, but it just feels like I'm playing in slow-motion. I start it and get this giant thing in front of me. When I move my ship, it follows, but not as quick as it should. Shooting looks slow etc. Can't describe it well . "Slow-Motion" is the best I can they to it. Take a jog-shuttle, move everything slowly into the future and you get a feeling for what I mean: Fluid movements, just slow ones.

1:00 http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=VWs4faxfnJ4

--
taptoplay.de

10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I didn't really like Mission 22.

Description is accurate above. Just tilt dodge/fire. no real progression. controls a bit awkward.

arn
10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
looking forward to a quality game of this type...*sigh*
10-25-2008, 07:16 AM
More feedback please

Hi everyone, I am the Mission 22 developer. I would really appreciate hearing more feedback from those of you who have played the game. If you have suggestions how it could be made better, that would be great.

The little feedback I have received thus far indicates that most people want more complexity in the theme and execution of gameplay.

And since I get the impression there is a lack of good 2D shooter games, what kinds of things are you looking for, and what have been some of the flaws in existing games?

Mission 22 was my first foray into games (unless you count some pretty lame Commodore 64 games I wrote as a kid), and I consider myself a learner when it comes to this category of apps. The programming and sound/graphics were easy to implement, but coming up with an actual theme/concept took some thought, and it can certainly be improved. I actually had the F-22 flying around and generating various aerodynamic/flow patterns for many weeks before I turned it into a game.

thanks,
Craig
10-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I picked it up and must say that the controls SUCK.
Well maybe SUCK is too strong a word but they definitely aren't good.
Its also just like the other 100+ shooting games in the app store.