★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: XT - New gameplay video

11-01-2010, 05:41 AM
XT

Hi all!
My new game XT is available now!

Description:

Destroy all the enemy ships, collect all green and red gems in the area avoiding missiles, bullets and mines.
The controls are easy to master, left thumb steers, right thumb shoots.
At the end of each level you can upgrade your weapons, shields, speed and life count.

* 30 intense missions
* Detailed real time 3D graphics
* Beautiful space locations
* Choose your strategy, spend points on upgrades or save them to beat the hiscore
* Openfeint leaderboard and achievements

System requirements:
XT: iOS 3.1.2 or higher, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3G, iPhone 4G, iPod touch 4G.
XT HD: iOS 3.2 or later, iPad.

Web page:
http://www.lkainteractive.com/xt/index.html

iTunes Link:
XT: itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xt/id393612563?mt=8
XT HD: itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xt-hd/id393613504?mt=8

Screenshots:

11-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Toftt

Impressions to follow....

11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Just gone FREE downloading now
11-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Game Impressions

Sorry this took a while. I bought this whilst trying to fall back asleep and.... fell asleep. Anyway, here we go...

In a word: twitchy.

As far as objective is concerned, think PacMan in space. You have to eat/grab/collect these orb things while avoiding meteors, enemy shots, and missiles. One thing that was not originally clear is that you have to avoid the white orbs. Devs: you need some kind of tutorial screen, as there is, well, nothing to tell the player what to do or avoid doing. Case in point, when I first started the game it looked like it had locked up - it took me a minute to realize that the game pauses whenever you take your thumbs off the screen. Devs, you should mention that! Another thing for the tutorial: some enemies you can destroy (e.g., missle-shooters), while others appear to be bullet-proof (are they? It'd be nice to know).

Gameplay is where twitchy comes in. The contols are ok and responsive but just feel twitchy, not very fluid. The firing control is also twitchy and hard to direct. It feels like there are "dead zones" in terms of where you can fire (i.e. Like having an older stick control rather than true analogue). If you could even them out it mighty help. Oftentimes I'd find myself just missing an orb and then turning around only to just miss it again. Or go to shoot somthing only to find it falling in a deadzone. Too twitchy.

The upgrade menu is also twitchy. Multiple times what I thought was a single tap on an upgrade button first added and then immediately took away the upgrade. Blah! This got waaaaaaay too frustrating.

The gameplay area feels too constrained. Although set in space... WIDE OPEN space.... you actually only have a very small amount of space to move in. Although I'm guessing this is to match the configuration of the orbs that you have to collect, it still feels plain weird to have your ship stop in space as though it has hit a wall.

The game does get fairly frantic fairly quickly, which can be a good or bad thing depending on whether or not you like steep ramp-ups. I don't, especially when I'm trying to get the hang of the game in the first place. Partially, the ramp up is due to the space constraints. You're stuck in a small space with lots of meteors and missiles and things floating every which where and you with a twitchily-controlled ship and a gun with dead-zones. Yay! Seriously, maybe my aiming just sucks (I'm usually good at TSS's though) but I cannot hit the missiles in time to destroy them, if you even CAN destroy them. It feels a bit like GWBush's missile defense shield idea - let's try to use small objects with poor control to hit a small object that's quickly HOMING IN ON YOU. Edit: I was finally able to hit the missiles, so it can be done. But I had to come to a full stop to do it, which made me vulnerable to meteors.

The upgrade system has another weird thing (apart from being twitchy): you can only upgrade something once per round. E.g., I waited and collected upgrade points during the first few rounds, which are pretty easy, thinking that I could use all those points to upgrade my shields 3 steps before level 4. WRONG. You can only upgrade one level before each round, which left me going into a harder round with very little shield and lots of extra points. The other frustration is that the cost ramps up VERY quickly. The first weapon upgrade costs 100 points. The second? 500 points! The third? 1000 points! Way too steep IMHO, especially since you don't get a ton of points per round anyway (I was averaging about 500 to 700 per round). There is a cool point to the upgrades, though, in that you can spend points to get additional lives.

The graphics in the game are a nice surprise, especially given that the opening screen and main menu look really blah. Everything in game is fluid and well-animated. Actually, this lent a bit of frustration, as I really wanted to be able to move around more but, again, was constrained by the small space.

The music is bad. Really, really bad. Turn it off. Right away. The sound effects are a mixed bag. The explosions are cool and satisfying. However, this is offset by a really annoying "ding!" sound that happens every time you collect an orb. As the whole point of the game is to collect orbs you hear quite a lot of "ding!"s, which on the whole outweighs the satisfying explosions. Turn the sound off, too.

So, to sum up:
Pros: nice graphics in game, good "I'll give it one more go" factor, nice concept (DSS meets PacMan in space)
Cons: really needs a tutorial, twitchy controls, steep ramp ups, bad music, annoying "ding!" sound, feels too constrained
Suggestions: make a tutorial, tweak the controls, include some difficulty settings/levels, allow for more movement/exploration, make the upgrade system better, hire someone else to compose the music (like me ), get rid of the "ding!" sound

On the whole, I actually do like this game. It has a lot of potential, and the DSS meets PacMan in space idea is really nice. I hope that the Devs address the "cons" because if they do they'll have a real winner on their hands. I am keeping it on my iPhone (just with the sound and music turned off).

all74
11-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Just gone FREE downloading now
GRRRRRR!!!!

Dev: NOT a good idea to switch from paid to free in the first few HOURS. Bad Dev! No biscuit! Bad!
11-01-2010, 12:11 PM
How 'bout shooting me a promo code for XT HD to offset the fact that I paid for XT iPhone mere hours before you set it to free?
11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by all74 View Post
GRRRRRR!!!!

Dev: NOT a good idea to switch from paid to free in the first few HOURS. Bad Dev! No biscuit! Bad!
Yeah its annoying been caught out loads of times they should wait a few days
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Controls feel kinda jumpy. And everything just looks sort of simple and drab. A little more polish all-round and this could be a decent little game.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi all74

Quote:
some enemies you can destroy (e.g., missle-shooters), while others appear to be bullet-proof
The enemies moving horizontally and vertically are bullet proof, to destroy in few shots the others you need a better weapon.

Quote:
Multiple times what I thought was a single tap on an upgrade button first added and then immediately took away the upgrade.
It happens when you don't have enough points to buy the upgrade.

Quote:
I cannot hit the missiles in time to destroy them, if you even CAN destroy them.
Yes you can, or you can dodge them

Quote:
The first weapon upgrade costs 100 points. The second? 500 points! The third? 1000 points! Way too steep IMHO, especially since you don't get a ton of points per round anyway (I was averaging about 500 to 700 per round). There is a cool point to the upgrades, though, in that you can spend points to get additional lives.
You can save on upgrades or spend all points to get better weapons to make more points in later levels.

Quote:
The graphics in the game are a nice surprise, especially given that the opening screen and main menu look really blah.
What, the render of the ship? I was proud of it! :/

Quote:
The music is bad. Really, really bad. Turn it off. Right away. The sound effects are a mixed bag. The explosions are cool and satisfying. However, this is offset by a really annoying "ding!" sound that happens every time you collect an orb.
Yes, I'm not a musician, I did my best. About the "ding", I was thinking to remove it but it's not so bad.

@all
About the "free" version, I decided for one day free download of the iPhone version (the HD was a 10 minutes mistake) because I can't find my game in the store.
11-01-2010, 05:55 PM
"What, the render of the ship? I was proud of it! :/"

No, the ship is sweet. What I meant is that it's just on a drab grey background. Your in-game backgrounds are very nice (I especially like how the closer stars and more distant stars/galaxies move as separate layers. Why not have the menu background be something similar? Maybe even just the background from the end game screen.

The thing with the twitchiness on the upgrade screen went away after a reboot. My bad, sorry. But it wasn't just b/c I didn't have enough points.

Sorry about being harsh with the music comment - I didn't think you would have done it yourself. Good on you for trying, mate. I'd be happy to make you some metal-style tracks if you'd like.

Just to let you know - I think that you have a great concept. I wouldn't have bothered reviewing if it I didn't think you could make it into something great. Thus, the suggested tweaks. I'm still playing it and plan to keep it on my iPhone. But with some updates you could make it into a really great "pick up and play" game. Keep at it!!!!

Ps - thanks for the code for HD. Wasn't really expecting that

And my vote is get rid of the ding sound.