★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games mostly made by artists or programmers?

11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Games mostly made by artists or programmers?

What's your guys thought on this. Is it usually 50/50 or is the artist usually the one calling the shots?

I know back in the ancient days before games were dominated by art it was like 100% programmers with "some art skills".

but what about todays games?
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
As for games think designers, as for buisness app - programmers

11-12-2010, 11:33 AM
as our game goes, we are having headache with the art stuff
11-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I think Apps are made by whoever thought of the idea for the App really. It's their idea so they are the person driving the App forward and making the decisions.

If they're an Artist then they find a programmer to put it together.

If they're a Programmer then they find an artist to do the art.

With Apps though I think the Indie community is made up of people who have a strong desire to make something and therefore will learn to do the other part if need be. So usually the person is both (programmer and artist). Of course they'll have their strong side (either art or coding) but they'll be able to do basic stuff on the other.

So you get stuff like a programmer with minimal art skills making a "doodle" art style game. And then the other side....Yeah I'm a programmer so I don't know what the comparable artist with minimal programming skills game would be :-/

iPhone/iPod Touch Apps by Tiny Tech Studios
11-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99c_gamer View Post
What's your guys thought on this. Is it usually 50/50 or is the artist usually the one calling the shots?

I know back in the ancient days before games were dominated by art it was like 100% programmers with "some art skills".

if you speak about the app store.. one can assume that 90% of the products are made only by programmers of some sort, thats the reason most of them do not look good, have boring gameplay and are in general not worth your money..

thats the reason there are artists, gamedesigner, leveldesigner, programmer, musicians and alot more people working on the real sucessfull games..

there is no jack of all trades who is also good at everything.. maybee there are a few rare who actualy exist but you might count thoose geniouses at one hand.. and no one is an indie game developer.. thoose guys make things think the sims series
11-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I think the art direction and music quality would be the most obvious things the suffer in the programmer made games.
But even without those it's still possible to make fun games.

I dont believe in Game Design as a skill set. Like TinyTechnician said it's whoever has the initial vision.
11-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
I think the art direction and music quality would be the most obvious things the suffer in the programmer made games.
But even without those it's still possible to make fun games.

I dont believe in Game Design as a skill set. Like TinyTechnician said it's whoever has the initial vision.

well everyone is entitles to believe whatever he wants.. game design is alot more then the initial idea.. and there is a reason game designer exist.. and they actualy do a pretty important job.

if you are a one man party you cover all thoose spots by yourself..

if you would have pros covering all thoose spots the outcome would be guaranteed better

and yes a programmer can make fun games.. but "fun" is important AFTER!
someone bought your game..

before that its important that it looks like fun.. and thats something usualy a programmer can't get done..
11-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:

Games are made by the team.

The team consists of certain skill sets, and people in the team may wear many hats depending entirely on their backgrounds.

Shots aren't called by artists or programmers - in professional game development shots are called by the holy triangle of Quality, Schedule & Budget.

Depending on the situation and preferences of the team, whatever of the three is of utmost importance determines the direction of the project.

Very few companies in the world have the luxury of not letting schedule and budget influence their decisions
11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
I dont believe in Game Design as a skill set.
Oh boy!

May I recommend you watch this recent video?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Game-Designer

QS
11-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumsheep View Post
Oh boy!

May I recommend you watch this recent video?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Game-Designer

QS
This is a really good video. Loved it. Agree with everything in the presentation.