👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Distant Star - An Old-school 4x space game

Old 11-13-2010, 09:15 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Congrats on the release, Trevor!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

From the description, it sounds like win.

@the Dev - If it's half as good as MoO, angels will descend from heaven and bless your keyboard. In the event that this does not happen...at least you will have my two dollars.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Comments, questions, suggestions

I picked this up yesterday and got to spend a couple hours with it last night. It is a fun little pick-up-and-go 4x. The music and and retro-ish graphics are tasteful and well-done. Nice work!

A couple of questions:
- How do I attack enemy planets? I've attacked with dominating force, but don't see a way to take over (or colonize) a planet with an existing population. So I wind up just losing a slow war of attrition as the planet generates a few more ships each round.

- How long should it take to develop new technologies? I feel like I'm doing something wrong here, either in my approach or my mental model, because it seems like it takes way longer than I would expect. I generally keep the research allocation at 20 or 30 (near default).

Suggestions:
I appreciate that the developer has been soliciting direct feedback, so here are a few items that are comparatively minor but would improve the game experience quite a bit (for me, at least)

- Enemy portraits
I like to put a face on the alien ships that are swarming me. Even if it is just something like a still image (in a game appropriate neony-raster-scan way) that pops up when I visit their home world, it would still help make the game feel more immersive.

- Destination indicators for fleets
Tapping on a fleet prompts to set a new destination for them. Which is fine, unless I can't remember where they were going in the first place. Maybe either a text indication ("Destination: Kobol") or a dotted target line?

- Zoom in/out
Sometimes selecting a specific fleet when there are several at/near a planet can be a pain. If I could pinch-zoom in, that would make selecting easier. Similarly, it would be nice to get a big-picture view of what's going on in the galaxy by zooming out.

Again, nice work -- thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

This looks exceedingly nice, and I cannot even begin to understand why it is iPad only (if that is indeed the case).

So far, I've yet to come across a game (on ANY platform) that could not be enjoyed on the iPhone, and while some games are a worse fit than others, a game like this should be as ideal as they come for the iPhone.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm enjoying the game so far but I've found one bug. If you are moving a fleet with a colonizing ship and tap the fleet mid flight, it gives the option of colonize even when you're not near a planet. Out of curiosity, I pressed it and it crashes the game every time. Seeing as there isn't an auto save yet, this was not a good move.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

When I saw that this game was similar to Masters of Orion, I grabbed it immediately. So far, I'm not disappointed. It's really fun. However, there are some really annoying crashing bugs, and as others have said, without an autosave feature, these crashing bugs almost make the game unplayable. I just had a crash seemingly for no reason, so unfortunately I can't give any information as to why it happened. It doesn't seem to be a memory thing because as soon as it crashed, I checked my free RAM and was well over 100 mg, so I don't think free memory was the problem.

I think it's fair to compare this game to a much simpler version of Masters of Orion. It's got a real Galcon feel to it, but with more control over types of units to build and with the added feature of researching technology. Aside from the crashing bugs, I'm really having fun with it, but I really need to learn to save more often. I'd have no problem recommending this to every 4x and Galcon fan out there if it weren't for the bugs. With some developer support, this could be a great game!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Another minor bug that I forgot to mention. The game doesn't know what to do if the orientation lock is on. Some of the screens will stay locked in Portrait mode, but then other screens will force the screen into Landscape mode, but parts of the HUD will be off of the screen because the screen is supposed to be locked. Turning off orientation lock seems to fix this issue, but the developer may want to address this minor problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulated View Post
A couple of questions:
- How do I attack enemy planets? I've attacked with dominating force, but don't see a way to take over (or colonize) a planet with an existing population. So I wind up just losing a slow war of attrition as the planet generates a few more ships each round.
Sounds to me like you need more units. I noticed that planets that are colonized by the other team will have a glow to them. As you attack the planet, the glow starts to dissipate. You need to have enough units to attack the planet and completely eliminate the glow. At that point, the enemy no longer can create units and you're free to recolonized the planet (with a Colonizer, of course). If you don't have enough units on the planet, the enemy will keep making units and slowly destroy your fleet.

Question of my own...does anybody know how to move just part of a fleet? Say I've got a Colonozer and 20 Destroyers on a planet. Is there a way to move just the Colonizer and 10 of the Destroyers if all of the units are in the same fleet? If not, that definitely needs to be changed.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Question of my own...does anybody know how to move just part of a fleet? Say I've got a Colonozer and 20 Destroyers on a planet. Is there a way to move just the Colonizer and 10 of the Destroyers if all of the units are in the same fleet? If not, that definitely needs to be changed.
I want to know the same thing. I got in a situation where I colonized a planet and wanted to send some reinforcements but I couldn't separate my home fleet and had to send all of them and while I was gone, my home planet got invaded.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 AM

well this is a very rough game.. there are so much things that should be approved i don't know where to start..

so i start with most annoying one..

it crashes all the time.. crashed on me a couple time now.. usualy when i was spamming end turn.. to get things moving.. i assume you have memory leaks en mass.

it would be great to have more tactile feedback, light selection highlights.

there is no way to manage the fleets size you send somewhere, you don't even see where they are flying to .. some sort if path would be great especialy on bigger maps with alot going on its really hard to keep track

the hole gui is totaly inconsistent sometimes there is a "back" buttons sometimes not (options)

the text in general is way to hard to read.. pixelated text is nice ona logo or so but everywhere.. makes a bit tedious..

the numbers in general are too long.. shortem them.. or add some punctuations between the hundreds of zeros..

you have so much screen estate why is there overlapping guis?! if i select a fleet the text at the bottoms is overlapping with the "general messages" or whatever you call them..

sometimes after i load i cannot move the card anymore.. scrolling is screwed..

there is not autosave.. which is crap because the app crashes so often.. would be good to have the options so set the frequency of autosaves (which should use a different slot than the manual saves) ..so you can set it up like every 50 turns or every 100 etc.

in general i'm missing some "do you really want that" checks.. for example if you change the reasearch midterm.. you loose everything invested (moneywise) at least it seems wo.. why is the money not "saved" on some sort of "account" .. like i civ you could change that.. it would be also great to see how expensive an research is so you know how long it takes to be there..

a minimap would be great..

zooming out would be great too...

at the end if would be great to see some sort of todo list you plan to fix.. so one doesnt write 10times the same thing if its already on your todo list foe the next version..

there is so much todo.. and i think you should have postponed the release, and did alot more testing before releasing.. because currently i have a bitter taste about the game.. it looked promissing.. but it disspointed..

lets hope you support your game even if you don't become millionair overnight..

a bit more polish on the art would be great too.. i know its suppose to be "minimalistic".. but even minimalistic can look good. after some times its getting tired to watch at the screen because everything looks the same..

anyway.. good luck with the sales and let the updates coming.