★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: So what has 3.0 brought to iPhone gaming?

03-17-2009, 02:03 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
So what has 3.0 brought to iPhone gaming?

MMS messaging
Cut, copy, and paste
Push notifications
In-application purchasing
Peer-to-peer connectivity
In game voice
Live streaming audio
iPod library access
Stereo Bluetooth audio support
Audio recording
Shake API

Downloadable content. Devs now can have you purchase DC ingame without having to do updates. EA (of course) is the first guy to try it. This could mean the end of free updates that we've gotten accustomed to from the likes of iDracula and Fieldrunners. Now we can "buy weapons and levels".

More as I read Neogaf for updates.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5172350/why-iph...-be-a-disaster

Quote:
Why iPhone In-App Transactions Could Be a Disaster
By Adam Frucci, 3:09 PM on Tue Mar 17 2009, 17,741 views

Apple made a big deal about allowing in-app transactions with the new iPhone 3.0 API. It's great news if you're a developer looking to make more scratch, but it's potentially terrible news for users.

Basically, this is opening the flood gates for nickel-and-diming microtransactions from the App Store. Before, when you spent $5 on a game, you knew you were getting the whole game—with free upgrades. Now, you'll spend $5 on a game and you'll need to spend another $5 to unlock all the levels and weapons. And that's on legit apps. Just wait for the novelty fart apps with one fart sound that want you to pay for extras, or a flashlight app that wants you to pay for different colors.

This could easily turn tons and tons of apps into crippled trialware without consumers knowing, and it's going to make developers hungry for the extra cash they can make by charging you for extra feature they would have included in the full version anyways. Like a game charging you $3 for fancy horse armor on the Xbox 360, but without the filter than comes from the huge budgetary requirements of Xbox 360 games, this is going to open the floodgates for the sleaziest app behaviors possible. The worst part of it is, there will be enough people willing to pay a little here and a little there to support this kind of behavior. But I for one, am out. Do not want.

Last edited by arta; 03-17-2009 at 04:55 PM.
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Voice over IP ingame
What? What were you reading?

Twitter: @Zincous

03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
What? What were you reading?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=355565&page=3
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
less money in our wallets
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Oh hell yes Andy
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Downloadable content. Devs now can have you purchase DC ingame without having to do updates. EA (of course) is the first guy to try it. This could mean the end of free updates that we've gotten accustomed to from the likes of iDracula and Fieldrunners. Now we can "buy weapons and levels".

Should this be true, I will begin to shy away from the app store as a whole. Sorry apple dumb move.
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
This probably opens the door to the rumored Premium section.
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
people posting threads in wrong section.................

including me.

03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelongintheforums View Post
people posting threads in wrong section.................

including me.

How is this in the wrong section? This directly affects the games in the app store for customers.
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Quote:
How is this in the wrong section? This directly affects the games in the app store for customers.
it was more-or-less a joke..........
shake-to-shuffle is coming also