Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 PM
iPad

Default Star Battalion - by Gameloft [$0.99 Sale]

Retina ScreenShots
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 10-19-2010 at 05:40 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 PM
iPad

Default Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifein2D View Post
Ok, Well I've just started playing. But right away it reminds me of Star Fox on the N64. Or maybe even Rogue Squadron(with less enemies).

You swipe across the screen to do barrel rolls and vertical to quickly fly in the opposite direction. I found the controls to be responsive with the analog stick. It starts off with tilt controls but I always turn those off (just personal preference).

The graphics are really well done, as you can see in the screen shots. The only weird thing I noticed is the character art doesn't seem to be updated for the retina display. Everything else looks polished. Its odd that they'd leave the lower res art in.

The multiplayer is only co-op, no versus. Which is a little disappointing. I haven't been able to try it since according to the leaderboards only 20 people are playing. But the multiplayer menu lets you choose between using GameCenter and Gameloft Live. Theres also achievements with a max score of 1000. Also theres a limit of 3 players for the co-op.

If your a fan of this genre then I'd definitely recommend it
Quote:
Originally Posted by red12355 View Post
Alright guys, I was very impressed by the screenshots and video so I decided to get this one.

I only finished the first mission, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

First off when you start the game, you're greeted with a typical gameloft cinematic with a space battle and cool techno music.. One of the better ones I would say.

I tried online co-op first, but unfortunately I couldn't find any players. One thing to note is that the game supports both GameCenter and Gameloft Live. You can use GameCenter matchmaking, or you can join rooms a la Modern Combat 2 through gameloft's own servers.

You're greeted with a simple tutorial in at the beginning of the mission. The controls are nice and intuitive, though I found the tilting to be a little sensitive. (You can change this in the menu though.) Doing barrel rolls and flips are a breeze, all you have to do is swipe the screen. The game supports both a tilting and analog controls (similar to HAWX).

One thing I noticed is that the graphics look terrific: explosions look very nice and have a "weight" to them (unlike.. say explosions in BIA2). The first level is an ice level, and it looks great. There are lasers and ships flying everywhere and the skybox looks amazing. There is also a really cool blur effect when you use the boost. I would say the graphics are some of the best in the App Store right now. I have a touch 3g, so I would imagine that it looks even better on a retina display.

Audio is a mixed bag. On one hand, the voice acting is mediocre... the woman character sounds especially forced and unconvincing. On the other, I absolutely love the music. It has a high tempo techno soundtrack, which made the whole mission seem more tense and exciting. Though I can imagine that it would get pretty repetitive if the music doesn't change for the other missions.

The gameplay itself involves flying around and shooting at enemies (the game has an auto-aim feature, so it's not frustratingly hard) and completing objectives. Destroying enemies is satisfying and the game advances at a quick pace. This game allows you to fly all over the combat area, instead of having enemies fly up to you like Star Fox. Though one thing that kind of broke the immersion was that there are floating orbs that give you ammo.. which gives the otherwise realistic (as a sci-fi space shooter can be) game a more arcade-y feel. Also, I would imagine that the same aim/shoot tactics could get stale for some people, but that might be alleviated by the different ships you get to use. Another thing is that I was 7% done with the game after the first mission.. which would work out to about 14 missions total. And the first mission was short, I would estimate no more than 5-6 minutes, though it was pretty much a tutorial. So don't blame me if you get this game and find out it's really short.

A thing that I really liked is that you get 2 AI wingmen who actually have pretty distinct personalities, which add more depth to the story and give you the feeling that you're not alone in the dogfights. On that note, the game also has a screen with descriptions of the people, the planets and the machines that are in the story. By the time, I started the first mission, I already had a good sense of what was going on. I can tell that Gameloft was trying to make a well fleshed out story for this game.

Needless to say, this game has the typical Gameloft polish as well. The menus, HUD and pop up texts all look very professional.

Overall, this is a very good game. Gameloft has been putting a lot of effort into their games lately and this is no exception. Highly recommended.

tl;dr
+Shooting is fun
+Great graphics
+Good music
+Very polished
+AI/online coop wingmen
-Bad voice acting
-(Possibly) short
-Could get repetitive for some people
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
OK, VERY early impressions:
Pros: visuals- looks very nice, especially on my iPhone 4. There seems to be a nice level of detail on the backstories of the characters, and information of the planets, ships, etc. Fun factor- I've just played the first mission, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree with the Star Fox feel of things- fly, target, destroy. Fun stuff. VERY basic, at least to begin with but fun. There also seem to be plenty of achievements. Controls- I have no problems at all with the tilt controls. For driving or flying games I feel that tilt controls are the way to go. They felt just fine to me. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but it sure seems like this could be ripe for good multiplayer.
Cons: length- I'm concerned that this may be a very short campaign mode. I finished the first mission and it shows as 7% complete. That mission took 6 minutes. Voice acting- I normally don't even comment about this since I feel like sometimes people overstate the problems with Gameloft's voice acting. That being said, I have a feeling people are going to go off on the cheesiness of the voice acting in this one. Throttle: this seems a little confusing to me. There's a slider on the right. You slide up to speed up, then slide down to slow. Simple enough, but I can't quite tell if there's a standard speed and the up swipe is a temporary thrust, or if you're permanently speeding up. I'd like some indicator of speed to have a comparative understanding.
Overall, I like it, but have a feeling this will split people's opinions. It's not a slam dunk like Spiderman, NOVA, or Black Pegasus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekcik View Post
I've downloaded this game and put it on my girlfriends iphone as well and we played together via gamecenter and all I gotta say is this is really fun in multi-player mode. I let her try the first mission so she could get used to the controls, and when she was done we started multi-player on mission 2.

What I like about it is when your done the mission you can chose to go onto the next mission. everything in synced up with the other player so your both watching the same cut scenes and start playing at the same time. We both got to I think it was mission 5 and we would have kept on playing but this game drains batter life pretty fast.

Controls take a bit getting used to, well actually moving the ship around is easy, but I have problems with shooting so to help I enabled Auto assist or what-ever it was called. With that on shooting and steering was a breeze.
The missions get a little bit harder as you go on or I should say the enemies get a bit harder and I like that the AI get a bit smarter and start using homing missiles which makes you use the swiping gestures to avoid them.

For those that are looking for cockpit view mode you can click on the ship and choose from Cockpit mode and 3rd person view. Increasing the speed helps bring a realistic ship battle while slowing down helps with shooting and easing the game out so you can shoot a bit more accurate other wise you just fly by everyone constantly.

I'm not quite sure if you can play more then 1 person but I'm going to try to tomorrow after work , hopefully someone else will be able to report more info on how many can play together at one time.

For those asking how this compares to Starfox. I've never played that game so I'm not really sure as this is only the second flying type full 3d multi-player game I've played with the other being Skies of glory and though that one is a fun game Star Battalion has a lot more going on.

This game has a lot of potential once more people purchase this and game center has a ton of people to play with. With this game being released ona Sunday with no Twitter announcement I'm going to go out on the limb and say this may have been an accidental release and wouldn't be surprised if this gets yanked tomorrow.

The only problem I've seen so far is a sudden pause like in the multi-player as gamecenter tried to sync myself and my girlfriend back , there must have been a small lag of some sort which happened twice, but after that everything ran smooth afterwards.

This is a great game and I can only imagine it getting better once we get into the space missions.

**Edit** Huge Plus to the game which I just check out and verified myself, but earlier I only played the offline missions to the second mission and my girlfriend and I played together online and started on the second mission, we got all the way but did not start the 3rd planet which is in space. I checked back and went to see if it's still unlocked via gamecenter and YUP! it saves your online progress which is nice, regardless whether or not you unlock these missions on campaign mode. (It actually saves to your campaign mode offline as well)

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 10-18-2010 at 01:55 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Oooo what is that!!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

Local co-op could be very cool. Would love to see a video.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Señor Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Looks ok, but I think I'll wait for some impressions before buying. I'm expecting Galaxy on Fire 2 to be better.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 PM
iPad

this came out of nowhere!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Looks cool, but not too quick to buy at $7. Gonna wait unless there are some stellar reviews.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Looks ok, but I think I'll wait for some impressions before buying. Personally I think Galaxy on Fire 2 will be better.
yeah, a wait n see....A Gameloft game on a Sunday weird.....
Old 10-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Señor Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Local co-op could be very cool. Would love to see a video.
Skip to 6:10

Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

it's this or reckless racing....Tough choice....