Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I went and checked my high scores on Hard, and it seems like it could go either way:

1) Score: 75,983; turns 1205, no teleport, gold build
2) Score: 68,085; turns 1155, w/ teleport, shield build
3) Score: 65,822; turns 913, no teleport, shield build
4) Score: 59,060; turns 906, no teleport, gold build
5) Score: 55,259; turns 1017, w/ teleport, shield build

I guess if anything, #5 shows more turns doesn't necessarily equate to higher score, although it helps. The gold and shield builds reflect the primary strategy, the four skills were always different each time. If anything, all except #4 (and all but two of my top 10 scores) have Dazzle as one of the skills. I definitely think that's the best skill in the game. Even with a gold build (where it could be counter-intuitive to use gold for swords) I think Dazzle can help you live longer than teleport.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psac42 View Post
I went and checked my high scores on Hard, and it seems like it could go either way:

1) Score: 75,983; turns 1205, no teleport, gold build
2) Score: 68,085; turns 1155, w/ teleport, shield build
3) Score: 65,822; turns 913, no teleport, shield build
4) Score: 59,060; turns 906, no teleport, gold build
5) Score: 55,259; turns 1017, w/ teleport, shield build

I guess if anything, #5 shows more turns doesn't necessarily equate to higher score, although it helps. The gold and shield builds reflect the primary strategy, the four skills were always different each time. If anything, all except #4 (and all but two of my top 10 scores) have Dazzle as one of the skills. I definitely think that's the best skill in the game. Even with a gold build (where it could be counter-intuitive to use gold for swords) I think Dazzle can help you live longer than teleport.
Man that is a fun post to look at. It's cool to see your score break down with various builds. Here's what mine looks like on hard

1) Score: 79,985; turns 909, shield build with skill elixir
2) Score: 73,066; turns 952, shield build with skill elixir
3) Score: 64,983; turns 790, shield build with skill elixir

The weird part is I know I got a higher score than that (and my high scores on normal are blank and I played a bunch of games on normal for fun). Further my later high score runs used slash as the 4th skill... The only thought I have is that those scores do match my game center scores... so maybe it's only recording scores when I'm online? I mostly play on the train where I don't connect to the internet... and I know most of my better scores I got were on the train... It just seems weird that the high scores on my actual app wouldn't match that. I get why game center wouldn't recognize the score (since I wasn't online) but I'd think the app would keep track... Ah well :- ) I don't care about leaderboards but it'd be nice to look at what build got me better scores.

EDIT: the best score I had with teleport in the mix was in the low 50,000 if it matters for the discussion at hand. The turn count was right around 1000

Last edited by eflin; 02-10-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

You guys invest a lot into blunting every chance you get? I always jump on it when it comes up.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Sigh. Why has the dev abandoned this?

I NEED MORE!!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnsuch View Post
You guys invest a lot into blunting every chance you get? I always jump on it when it comes up.
Yes. But ultimately it becomes irrelevant because the enemy strength jumps so much that you can't have enough blunting. Still, it's probably the best ability through most of the game, because it can weaken enemies so much that you can basically ignore them and just set up your scoring combos. By the time it's ineffective, you aren't going to score much more anyway.

If you were playing for max turns rather than max score, the calculation might be slightly different.

I would say it can be a close call whether to take a point of blunting early, or to take something like +0.25 UPG which is going to get you more upgrades of all sorts. Eventually, though, you max out all of the +UPG etc. Also, of course, sometimes you just need a point or two somewhere else to survive early, especially at Harder difficulty.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Yes. But ultimately it becomes irrelevant because the enemy strength jumps so much that you can't have enough blunting. Still, it's probably the best ability through most of the game, because it can weaken enemies so much that you can basically ignore them and just set up your scoring combos. By the time it's ineffective, you aren't going to score much more anyway.

If you were playing for max turns rather than max score, the calculation might be slightly different.

I would say it can be a close call whether to take a point of blunting early, or to take something like +0.25 UPG which is going to get you more upgrades of all sorts. Eventually, though, you max out all of the +UPG etc. Also, of course, sometimes you just need a point or two somewhere else to survive early, especially at Harder difficulty.
For me (who always plays the shield combo when I go for high scores) I take blunting over anything but +0.25 UPG since as David pointed out it will net you more upgrades in the long run. If you were doing the treasure/coin combo I could see taking the +0.25 GP over it as well. Otherwise it is too good to pass up.

It can be said though that at some point you effectively max out blunting too... since for every point of blutning you get it becomes less and less likely to show up again... so maybe you should always take the +GP/XP/UPG first in high score runs and just assume you'll get the blunting in the long run once you've maxed out the pumps... I don't know though... I still think I'm going to take blunting most of the time I see it and certainly above anything but those GP/XP/UPG ones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Sigh. Why has the dev abandoned this?

I NEED MORE!!!!

He is back finally it appears :- ) I imagine he just isn't going to start posting until he has an update for us... or he might just be focusing on stabilizing the android version first. See the link below

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...postcount=2152

Last edited by eflin; 02-10-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflin View Post
It can be said though that at some point you effectively max out blunting too... since for every point of blunting you get it becomes less and less likely to show up again...
Are you sure? I don't know how I would know whether this is true or not. You could track the rate at which each upgrade is offered over the length of the game, but you would have to gather a lot of data to be really sure. I would think that it's random unless I saw evidence to the contrary.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflin View Post
He is back finally it appears :- ) I imagine he just isn't going to start posting until he has an update for us... or he might just be focusing on stabilizing the android version first.
I would pay him to develop Dungeon Raid 2 if he actually wanted and had the time to do it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Thanks for the responses. I've been playing this essentially since it came out and through all of the updates. Actually going through now and leveling up every class. I think I have three of them level 10.. And I believe a level 9 Priest. Alternating between shield builds and gold builds.

Favorite race, guys?

EDIT: I second that, DaviddesJ. In fact, I third it, too.

Last edited by Joshnsuch; 02-10-2012 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Lawl
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM
iPad

Quote:
Are you sure? I don't know how I would know whether this is true or not. You could track the rate at which each upgrade is offered over the length of the game, but you would have to gather a lot of data to be really sure. I would think that it's random unless I saw evidence to the contrary.
I can definitely tell the difference... especially when I use the shield/upgrade build... by the end of the game I am getting a ton of upgrades (probably averaging 1 upgrade per turn when the combo is in full swing) and I get offered every upgrade numerous time but no blunting... That said, Fireflame also said this was the case and explains why in the post linked below

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...postcount=1423

And I fully agree with Fireflames logic although I do think he could tweak the balance of it a little still (i.e. I think he can safely make it occur a little more often). If I could get a lot more blunting, then I could survive a lot longer and get much higher scores.

Quote:
I would pay him to develop Dungeon Raid 2 if he actually wanted and had the time to do it.
If I had the money I would too! I'll leave it at I'll happily pay whatever price fireflame wants for future updates and/or a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnsuch View Post
Thanks for the responses. I've been playing this essentially since it came out and through all of the updates. Actually going through now and leveling up every class. I think I have three of them level 10.. And I believe a level 9 Priest. Alternating between shield builds and gold builds.

Favorite race, guys?

EDIT: I second that, DaviddesJ. In fact, I third it, too.
Yeah I maxed out about half my classes before I stopped playing for a while. That said I started up a new game today thanks to you guys so maybe I'll get back into it again for a bit :- ) It's such a good game I always end up coming back to it eventually.

As for race... I like the elf! The poison has really helped my end game and it's arch enemy is not so bad.

for class... I don't use any of the class skills but I choose ranger since it's default perk is the one I like the most.

Last edited by eflin; 02-10-2012 at 03:51 PM..