★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Garry Kitchen's commentary on the iPhone

11-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Garry Kitchen's commentary on the iPhone

A bit of the interview with legendary game developer Garry Kitchen in this month's Retro Gamer magazine (issue 83) stood out to me. I thought I'd share it:

Quote:
RG: These days you're involved in iPhone development at AppStar Games. What's your take on the Apple devices' importance?

GK: The importance of the iPhone cannot be overstated. The single most important thing it has done is change the buying habits of the videogame consumer. Two years ago my eight-year-old son would ask me for a $30 cartridge for his Nintendo DS. Today he asks me if it's ok to download a $0.99 iPhone game, and he's equally satisfied with the experience. Apple has taught the consumer that good games can be had for under $2 and the games industry will never be the same. The genie is out of the box and the industry will never get it back in.
Garry Kitchen designed and programmed the Atari 2600 version of Coleco's Donkey Kong. At Activision he created Keystone Capers, Pressure Cooker, and Space Jockey for the Atari 2600, as well. Readers may know him best for his Garry Kitchen's Game Maker for the Commodore 64 which won him the title of Video Game Designer of the Year in 1985.

And I think his observation of the iOS family's impact on gaming is spot on.

bp

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
11-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I've played his games over the years and read a few interviews and commentaries by him. He seems like a decent fella and yeah I agree that he seems to be right on with his observations.

Ipad 2 64gb, Ipod Touch 4 32gb. Avid gamer.
Too many favorites to list!
Agon/Open Feint/Gameloft/Plus+/Crystal/Game Center/XboxLive: "Zallman"
11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
He's correct.

And I'll add one more aspect that isn't often mentioned. I think the low app store prices may also help discourage piracy. I won't say whether or not in the past I have ever played a pirated game on a handheld. But I will say that I have no interest in pirated games whatsoever on iOS, even though I'm aware of how to jailbreak (but never bothered). Not when the games generally cost a buck or two, and even the most "expensive" games cost around $10. At those prices, there's just no economical need or reasonable justification for piracy. Only the truly most dirt-poor kids would have a problem scraping together a dollar here and there, and even then, you can get plenty of games free and legal by just watching for freebies on sites like appshopper and free-app-a-day.