★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hidden function in it (SkyFire???)

11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Hidden function in it (SkyFire???)

Hidden function for flash online video
11-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Looks like the app has been pulled. I managed to hit the link from the Skyfire homepage a bazillion times until I got the age restriction dialog rather than the "Unable to purchase" dialog. If you're fast, you might still be able to find that server.

For those wondering what the "hidden function" is, it plays Flash movies. I'm testing it now out of curiosity. So far doesn't seem to work all that well. (e.g. One of the Jon Stewart videos linked to from their homepage fails to load. Another gives nothing but a green screen.)

Also, it would have been nice if the app was universal. Using 2x scaling on the iPad kind of sucks.

I'm not sure if it actually is able to run Flash, or if it just extracts the video streams and plays them. I suspect its the latter which may be how it made it through initial review.

What do you get when you cross Robotron with Bomberman? - Coverfire HD

11-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Hidden function?

I thought this was the whole point of the app?

It's probably been pulled again as they're "selling it in batches" so as to not overload their servers (which are downloading your flash video and streaming it to your iDevice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
It transcodes the flash into HTML5
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/04/s...ands-on-video/
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
Looks like the app has been pulled. I managed to hit the link from the Skyfire homepage a bazillion times until I got the age restriction dialog rather than the "Unable to purchase" dialog. If you're fast, you might still be able to find that server.

For those wondering what the "hidden function" is, it plays Flash movies. I'm testing it now out of curiosity. So far doesn't seem to work all that well. (e.g. One of the Jon Stewart videos linked to from their homepage fails to load. Another gives nothing but a green screen.)

Also, it would have been nice if the app was universal. Using 2x scaling on the iPad kind of sucks.

I'm not sure if it actually is able to run Flash, or if it just extracts the video streams and plays them. I suspect its the latter which may be how it made it through initial review.
It's been pulled again? Why? Displaying flash video content is what it's meant to do. That's no secret.

Also, the OP's link appears to be self promotion.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
They do timed releases to help lessen the load on their servers. They're working on adding more servers to make things faster -- this is why one day you'll see the app in the store and the next day you might not.

Google to find out more.

josh.hofer
twitter.com/josh_hofer
instagram.com/josh_hofer
11-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.hofer View Post
They do timed releases to help lessen the load on their servers. They're working on adding more servers to make things faster -- this is why one day you'll see the app in the store and the next day you might not.

Google to find out more.
Don't worry I got it.

http://tinyurl.com/249p8fu

should be the second link when googled.

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.