★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Uwan Studio
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 151.2 MB
  • Version: 1.1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (5)
App description: On Sale for a limited time!! $1.99 -> $0.99

"Lightning Fighter is certainly no slouch as far as shmups go." - AppSpy

AD 2110, the Earth is invaded by aliens. More military bases and cities are constantly being occupied throughout the world. To fight the alien threat, the World Alliance bring forth their ultimate weapon, the Lightning Fighter. Equipped with weapons such as the Lock-on Laser, Spread Shot, missiles and bombs, the Lightning Fighter is the Earths only shot at defeating the invaders. Only a person of immense wisdom and courage will be able to pilot the craft to victory - have you got what it takes?

FEATURES
Smart controls: the game will automatically switch between tilt and touch controls, depending on whether youre touching the screen.

3 different weapons: Lock-on Laser, Spread Shot, and missiles. Each weapon also has the ability to perform unique super-charged attacks.

3 difficulty levels, each with an individual leaderboard.

7 challenging levels spanning from the Earth to outer space.

Bosses with rich attack patterns and transformations.

Game Center support for comparing scores with people throughout the world.

Support gyroscope provide extremely precise tilt control for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2

OpenFeint Enabled.

Thunderbolt and Firestorm are available through In-App Purchase.

LIKE US: facebook.com/uwanstudio
FOLLOW US: twitter.com/uwanstudio

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Why, oh why did I check TA before going to sleep.
Down. Load. Ing.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..

11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Saw it. Couldn't resist. I'll post impressions after I've had a chance to play it for a bit (and maybe a round of Phoenix too).

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
11-16-2010, 10:20 PM
The game looked too good. I actually checked Youtube and found the video. Bought the game straight after. To my surprise its actually not a bad shmup. The graphics are excellent, music and sounds pretty decent and the action is challenging enough without being frustrating (for now). I am currently on level 2 trying to destroy the Boss. Many of the units and both bosses I've seen so far are animated. All in all well woth the big download. I am sure I'll come back with further impressions when I play some more.
11-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes, really a great shmup, I would say one of the better.
Graphics are great, the 3 different weapons really need their own kind of play strategy. Weak spread shot, strong straight missiles, slow lock-on laser. Level 4 so far and the game is really challenging. Especially the bosses take a while ... and some lives

Controls are ok, but could be a bit better. The relative touch controls are working although not perfectly. And tilt is not responsive enough to survive. But what I like is the implementation of both at the same time in a pretty nice way. As soon as you put off your finger the tilt controls adjust to the actual position of your device. Really nice. So, if they improve the tilt controls I see myself swapping controls in-game pretty often, it's a nice way to give your fingers a break

Again, it's really one of the better shmups out there. Controls need a bit refinement, everything else is great already.

Give it a try.

11-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Dunno how to embed videos, but here's the link to the Youtube video.

It looks a heckuva lot like Super Laser, but without the very beautiful sprites and unique laser targeting system. In fact it looks rather average. But, with the positive feedback and considering that even an average and generic space-themed shmup is still something I am certain to enjoy...

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
11-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Dunno how to embed videos, but here's the link to the Youtube video.

It looks a heckuva lot like Super Laser, but without the very beautiful sprites and unique laser targeting system. In fact it looks rather average. But, with the positive feedback and considering that even an average and generic space-themed shmup is still something I am certain to enjoy...
Yes, resemblance to Super Laser is striking, and while not as AWESOME, this game is still pretty good.
11-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I noticed one of the boss patterns in the video looked like a bullet hell pattern. Does the game have a bullet hell feel to it at all or is it mostly more traditional like Super Laser?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
11-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
I noticed one of the boss patterns in the video looked like a bullet hell pattern. Does the game have a bullet hell feel to it at all or is it mostly more traditional like Super Laser?
The bosses sometimes feel like bullet hell.
Levels are quite normal. But bosses - lot's of bullets.
At some points I was wishing I had a hitcircle

11-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Ah, what the heck. This is a safe 99 cents for me to spend. I can never get enough shmups on my iPod it seems.