★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Audiosurf!

03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Send a message via MSN to 8bitgeorge
Audiosurf!

As a huge fan of the indie PC hit Audiosurf, I'm glad to share the news that Dylan Fitterer (developer) is looking into porting the game to the iPhone/iPod touch. Audiosurf is a game that lets you RIDE your songs, and with the new library support in OS 3.0, it's finally doable. Woot!

Directly from theappera.com:

Quote:
“Dylan Fitterer Regarding An Audiosurf for iPhone: I’M ON IT!!!”

We remember seeing somewhere in the past that Dylan Fitterer, Audiosurf Developer, was asked wether he sees an iPhone version of the very popular Audiosurf game in our future. All he said was something along the lines of: “it will take Apple to possiby open the iPod library access” before he can start working on iPhone version.

Well with today’s keynote/preview for the new iPhone OS 3.0, one of the new features announced was: THE OPENING OF IPOD LIBRARY to be accessible by other applications! After the announcement, there was no question, we scrambled to email and contact Dylan with this exciting news!

We sent Dylan this message a couple of hours ago:

Hey Dylan,

We hope you saw the Apple announcement regarding iPhone OS 3.0, and how they’re opening the iPod library to be accessible from applications. This means that there is no way Audiosurf cannot work with the iPhone anymore.

I know the beta build of iPhone OS 3.0 is already available for download for developers enrolled in iPhone Developer Program.

Well anyway, think about it. We’re just excited that Audiosurf may finally come to the iPhone! Thanks!

To which he directly replied:

WooHoo!

I’m on it.
For those not in the know, Audiosurf is an award winning game where “its track-like stages visually mimic the music the player chooses, while the player races across several lanes collecting colored blocks that appear in sync with the music.”
Source
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
AudioSurf is awesome...think it's like $10 on steam. Yes, this would be awesome. Difference between tap tap and ddr and audiosurf is that audiosurf creates the levels in realtime based on beat of the music. Actually it probably parses it first quickly the song then generates the level then starts the game.

03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
This is great news. I knew Audiosurf was coming out, but since the release of 3.0, I know this will be awesome.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I can't wait for Audiosurf. It's a fantastic PC game unlike anything you'll ever play.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Sorry for being off-topic, but if audiosurf could be made, then would stepmania be possible.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
AudioSurf is awesome...think it's like $10 on steam. Yes, this would be awesome. Difference between tap tap and ddr and audiosurf is that audiosurf creates the levels in realtime based on beat of the music. Actually it probably parses it first quickly the song then generates the level then starts the game.
I got it on the Steam holiday sale for two dollars, I think. Am I still playing it today? Nah. Scrolling through my iTunes library (which, mind you, was all encoded in those stupid nonsense titles...I no longer have most of my original music files) was just too annoying. If it came to the iPhone/iPod Touch, though...

Yeah, I'll be watching for it. It's a good game, and perhaps better suited to mobile gaming than to a PC.
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Send a message via MSN to 8bitgeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazure View Post
Yeah, I'll be watching for it. It's a good game, and perhaps better suited to mobile gaming than to a PC.
This. Why listen to my songs if I can surf them, right? Mobile is the way to go, I'm sure Dylan knows.
03-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Oh man. Been waiting on this for a while. Can't wait!
03-18-2009, 05:17 AM
I think audiosurf was the first paid download of my life
good news
03-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Hopefully it doesn't lag badly like tap tap does. Rhythm games and twitch games should have no lag otherwise you just can't improve your game. You get any lag on a high BPM trance/techno/hardcore song while playing Ninja Elite? GFG