Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgboy View Post
can you pm the account info??? since you live in norway???? I mean i wont use all of it not even close! And whatever i get you can download to your ipod also since its the same account.....
No, sry. I use that account when I'm out of money on my Norway account. Backup, y know.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin JF View Post
No, sry. I use that account when I'm out of money on my Norway account. Backup, y know.
o ok, what contest did you win???
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
o ok, what contest did you win???

Inotia 3 name contest. forgot to use the code before today, silly me :P
Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Inotia 3 name contest. forgot to use the code before today, silly me :P
what was your name idea???
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
what was your name idea???
Had over 30, so... :P
Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Had over 30, so... :P
oh lol good job!!! ill see ya at pgf in 5 months!!!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 PM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
Where in my post did I EVER say one was better than the other? I went out of my way to avoid that, because they BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses. You also need to reread what I wrote. I play my DS at home and only use my Touch when I'm out and about.

My gauge for taking a device seriously is if it's designed specifically to play games. iPhones in the end are phones. Touches are for multimedia and internet. iPads--well I'm still trying to figure out what I would use it for. I'm not a fan of Apple at all, and so for me to begin thinking in this manner is a fairly major turn around.

My point was LHP was the first game of the hundreds I've bought that actually feels like the complete package. However, no matter how great and how overwhelmingly cheap it is, it's still a port. For the iDevices to gain any legitimacy original content on this scale needs to be made. Aralon may be that game, but we'll see.
Why should the fact that the device can both play games and serve most of the other purposes that you'd want a portable device to perform count against it as a portable gaming device? Thats ludicrous. The fact that its both a game device and a phone and a map and a calculator is a great advantage afaic.

I've got dozens of games on my iphone that feel like complete games to me. No, they aren't 40 hour RPGs, but frankly, that's not at all what I want on a portable gaming device. I've always been dissappointed with previous portables I've owned (GB, GB Advance, DS) becuase they always tried too hard to be mini-consoles. I rarely if ever have hours to blow throughout the day to play a game. Its almost always 10 or 15 minutes here or there. The App store is literally over-flowing with brilliant, really original classic arcade-style games that are perfect for playing when you have minutes to kill. If I have the time to play big rpg or feel like getting my ass handed to me in COD online I'll do it on the PS3 (or the PC) when I'm at home.

OK, perhaps you didn't actually say one was "better" than the other, but theres an implication in your post that the dedicated gaming portables represent "serious" gaming while the Iphone is a lesser gaming experience - a contention I would disagree with. I consider Silverfish and Itrials and Jet Car Stunts and Monster Dash (and any of the doazens of other great games I have on my iphone) to be every bit as serious as any Red Dead Redemption or any of the dozens of mind-numbingly dull FF clones you could name from the "real" game systems. They are exactly the kinds of games I want for portable gaming.

Battery power hasn't been a big issue for me on the iphone. I can get a couple hours out of it before having to plug in and I have a charge chord in both the vehicles I drive throughout the day. Ftmp its always fully charged...

In the end, this comes down to a difference of opinion about what constitutes a "full gaming experience." I've been playing videgames since the late 70's. I've got a ton of respect for the artistry of designing a simple, elegant game that you can pick up and start playing instantly but continue to enjoy for ages. I don't necessarily see the big 40 hour campaign as an ultimate end point on the gaming hierarchy and I don't think of the big rpgs and so forth as being of intrinsically higher value than the Pac-Mans and Galagas and Fruit Ninjas of the gaming universe...therefore I don't see LHP as being a fundamentally more meaningfull gaming experience than Osmos or Monster Mayhem.

Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 11-20-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

How do you access the broom after the flying lesson? I know in diagon alley thats how you jump over the ramp but my inventory is empty idk how to access it..damn.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:27 PM
iPhone 5

Obviously, Monster Dash and Red Dead are completely different types of games. What I said was that I don't consider those differences to be an indication of one games quality in relation to the other and I don't consider RDR to be at one end of a spectrum and Monster Dash at the other (for example, I dont see RDR as "hardcore" and MD as "casual"). I'll be honest with you, I think to some extent game developers have leaned too heavily in the direction of games like Red Dead Redemption and not enough in the Monster Dash direction in the past decade and a half or so and I see the app store as a bit of a re-birth of classic game design.

As far as pricing goes, I don't doubt for a second that most of the people who paid $4.99 for LHP would have ponied up say $8.99 if thats what it had been priced at. It still would have been pretty good value. I mean theres a fair number of games out there at higher price points (DoDonPachi, ESPGaluda, Street Fighter...) If the game is good and people see it as worth the money they'll pay for it. The fact that a few silly individuals say they want it to go on sale shouldn't outweigh the fact that many in this thread have exclaimed they're shock at how low the price is. In fact, if LHP had released at $8.99 I bet you'd still see lots of folks exclaiming what a great deal it is...

Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 11-20-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Old 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM
iPhone 5

Sure, RDR sells. Lots of "big" games sell. But lots of them tank. Its not the size/complexity of the game that garners sales, its the quality (at least to a large extent). But theres an interesting dichotomy at play here. Games like RDR and Bioshock are touted as being "hardcore" and yet in a way they are designed to appeal to the masses - they are often referred to as being "like playing a movie" and so forth. Otoh, games like Monster Dash and Silverfish are "casual" games and yet they are really quite challenging and probably don't really appeal to a large audience becuase they don't offer the sort of visual spectacle and cinematic quality that the so-called hardcore games offer and that the general public seems to want. In a way, the games that are usually thought of as casual are the actual hardcore games becuase they are videogaming stripped to the bare essentials so to speak.

The game I've put the most time into on that technological gaming marvel the PS3 is Pixeljunk Monsters.