Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Hexo (4 Games in 1!)

Hey Gang,

While I have yet to pick this up it looks interesting.

I like how they work in very different mechanics from mode to mode. Everything from a hexagonal based Solo Scrabble to some Solo Dice/Dominoes based game.

They all share the hexagonal playfield and basic idea of solo play trying to lay down tiles to maximize your score until you can't make any more legitimate moves (well, I'm guessing a bit as I don't have it yet, but this is what it appears to be about).

Last edited by LordGek; 11-18-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default About Hexo

Hey all!

This is Kevin from Appracatappra, LLC. First I'd like to thank LordGek for setting up this forum post on Hexo, we really appreciate it.

Second I'd like to point out a few things about the game.

Hexo is actually a multi player game that allows form one to four players on the same iPad. So You can play against any combination of three other people or computer controlled AI players. There are four different AI personalities to choose from: the Queen of Hearts, the Queen of Diamonds, the Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

The object of each play mode is to play out all of the tiles available in the tile bag. The current count of tiles remaining is listed at the bottom of the game board. After each turn the player's tile rack will be repopulated with tiles from the bag until no more tiles remain. The first player to play all of their tiles out ends the game and the player with the highest score wins.

If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Here is my 5 Star iTunes review:

The devs have taken the basic concepts of Scrabble and UpWords but then twisted things up by putting it on an hexagonal board and then adding whole new twists by having modes based on dice and cards as opposed to just the straight letters.

Each of the game modes are amazingly configurable.

My only whine so far is that in Hex-n-Spell, once a player or AI has discovered one of the hidden multipliers (the amount and type are customizable) it doesn't stay displayed which ends up giving the AI a huge advantage as it clearly never forgets where those magic multipliers discovered so far are at. The concept of the hidden multipliers also feels a bit exploitable as a player can simply drop tiles all over the board just to scope out their location.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:45 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Hexo Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Here is my 5 Star iTunes review:

The devs have taken the basic concepts of Scrabble and UpWords but then twisted things up by putting it on an hexagonal board and then adding whole new twists by having modes based on dice and cards as opposed to just the straight letters.

Each of the game modes are amazingly configurable.

My only whine so far is that in Hex-n-Spell, once a player or AI has discovered one of the hidden multipliers (the amount and type are customizable) it doesn't stay displayed which ends up giving the AI a huge advantage as it clearly never forgets where those magic multipliers discovered so far are at. The concept of the hidden multipliers also feels a bit exploitable as a player can simply drop tiles all over the board just to scope out their location.
Thank you for the very honest review of Hexo we are glad that you enjoyed the game. You raised a very valid point about the issue with Hex-n-Spell and the hidden multipliers. A player can simply drag a tile around the board "fishing" for the hidden bonuses. Here is the possible fixes we are considering for our next release:

1) A user option that allow the bonuses to only be played once. So the bonus is only valid for the first word played on it, then it is removed from play.

2) The bonuses would only be displayed if a full word is laid down on the board.

3) The bonuses would only be displayed after the player taps the GO button.

We would really appreciate your input on this.

I would also like to touch on the issue of the AIs briefly. While it may seem like the AIs know the location of the bonuses or remember there location, this is actually an illusion. The AIs are written as a recursive, genetic algorithm and basically uses brute force (and a bit of blind luck) to find plays. They are coded to find the best play possible and to learn from their mistakes. This means if they have the letters to play over a bonus spot and it gives them the highest score for that hand, they will play them.

If it feels like the AIs are playing a word or bonus spot too much you can make an adjustment in the Options to the way they play. In Options under General: Game AI find the slider Replay Limit: If you move the slider all the way to 9, the AIs will have to wait for 9 full rounds before they can make the same play again. You can also slide down the AI Intelligence if you feel they are still too rough.

I hope that helps and as always, I'm open to any questions or suggestions.

Thank you again for your review, and the 5 star rating you've provided to the App store is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Kevin
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Great game!

I love it!

Although I love the iPad version, any chance of an iPod 4 retina version?

it would be nice to play it from the pocket
Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsound View Post
Great game!

I love it!

Although I love the iPad version, any chance of an iPod 4 retina version?

it would be nice to play it from the pocket
Glad you enjoyed the game ColorSound... funny you should mention iPhone 4 and the retina display, we were just discussing this as a possible release but weren't sure there was any interest. Guess what might be under the tree for Christmas??

Something else planned for the next release is full Game Center support. This will be a free update for anyone who purchases the game.

Last edited by SerKevin; 11-21-2010 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Videos available

For anyone interested, we've just posted a full set of videos show the many features of Hexo on our website. You can access the videos here:

http://appracatappra.com/hexo/hexo-videos

We are always interested in suggestion so please let us know if you have any ideas to improve on Hexo.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Hexo Giveaway!

Hey Everybody!

Just wanted to let you know that we will be giving away ten (10) copies of Hexo during the Holidays. You can enter towin here:
http://appracatappra.com/hexo/holida...ys-sweepstakes
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default New version and Holiday Special Pricing

I just wanted to let everyone know that we just released a new version of Hexo that includes new features such as Game Center support and new game play options.

We are also running special Holiday pricing right now. You can get Hexo for $1.99 USD for the next 30 days.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

LG reviews cost me always money
This looks like a fun game.