★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Book of Thoth, Damian Filigree (3-match hidden gem)

11-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
The Book of Thoth, Damian Filigree (3-match hidden gem)

Hi!

To every 3-match games lovers, I suggest to check out

Damian Filigree: the Book of Thoth

an original take on match 3 games.

I discovered it by chance being on sale, and I think it's pretty good.
Polished, nice graphics on iPhone 4, a nice retro vibe (reminds me of Rick Dangerous), an Indiana Jones theme, nice music, Gamecenter integration (well done and original)...

Basically you match 3-4 egyptian tiles orizontally to make Damian (an archeologist) run through the Pyramid corridors (you see this on the bottom, nicely animated with a retro Amiga style)...if you chain tiles, you acquire objects to avoid traps, dispell mummies who run after you if you do not match tiles fast enough, and so on...trying to advance in the Pyramid core.
It's really fun and well done, I wish there was a story and maybe some variations to the gameplay (which become very hard around 6-7 floor...damn mummies!!!).

So...check it out!
I'll try to contact the developer to partecipate into the thread, I think the game is really good and could be really great with some support.
11-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree with the previous post. The game is really a lot of fun, and it gets challenging quick.

One quirk that takes some getting used to: clicking a two tiles doesn't make them switch places, it makes the intervening tiles mirror. For example, if the tiles are 1,2,3,4 and you click on tiles 1 & 4, the the tiles then be 4, 3, 2, 1. There are also some powerups and special items to help you. Once you get the hang of it, the game is very enjoyable. I'd love to see an iPad version of it, to take advantage of all that screen real estate.

Also in agreement on the mummy sentiment - that bugger has got speed; no slow shuffling along here.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !

11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Looks interesting

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi guys,

This is Joris from Bloomsix. Just wanted to thank you for compliments. We have just submitted another update, where new players can more easily pick up the game.
In the first level, there's a helping hand that will show you how to play, and you will be able to drag the stones, so you can see what is happening.
We hope that will sort a lot of startup problems ;-)

Also, we have changed balancing slightly (the mummy was speeding up too quicky.. something that's easily overseen if you play the game so many times.)
Also, we've added bonus/trap levels (level 6 and level 10) where you can gather some powerups more easily, so you can survive later levels.

Oh.. and there's a lite version in approval with only the first two levels!

Thanks again, and we'll keep you updated
11-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
I agree with the previous post. The game is really a lot of fun, and it gets challenging quick.

One quirk that takes some getting used to: clicking a two tiles doesn't make them switch places, it makes the intervening tiles mirror. For example, if the tiles are 1,2,3,4 and you click on tiles 1 & 4, the the tiles then be 4, 3, 2, 1. There are also some powerups and special items to help you. Once you get the hang of it, the game is very enjoyable. I'd love to see an iPad version of it, to take advantage of all that screen real estate.

Also in agreement on the mummy sentiment - that bugger has got speed; no slow shuffling along here.
I didn't explain how exactely moving the tiles works because I didn't even understand it the first time I played...but after two games it was second nature...and for one an original take on the match 3.
I truly feel it's an hidden gem that deserves much more attention than it gets now...at least myself, I didn't even know about its existance.
11-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbverschoor View Post
Hi guys,

This is Joris from Bloomsix. Just wanted to thank you for compliments. We have just submitted another update, where new players can more easily pick up the game.
In the first level, there's a helping hand that will show you how to play, and you will be able to drag the stones, so you can see what is happening.
We hope that will sort a lot of startup problems ;-)

Also, we have changed balancing slightly (the mummy was speeding up too quicky.. something that's easily overseen if you play the game so many times.)
Also, we've added bonus/trap levels (level 6 and level 10) where you can gather some powerups more easily, so you can survive later levels.

Oh.. and there's a lite version in approval with only the first two levels!

Thanks again, and we'll keep you updated
Thank you for coming!!!
I'm really enjoying your game, I look forward the updated version!!!

PERSONALLY, I would add a bit of a story and some kind of bosses/variation to the 'run forward' gameplay...
BTW...does the game ever end? The Pyramid core and an artifact are cited in the description...

Thanks again for making this game!!!
11-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Game Impressions

Really interesting concept. Excellent execution. The game's a joy to play. One problem: crashes each time I click on Tutorial from the main menu (iPod Touch 4G) so I'm not exactly sure at this stage of all the game rules/mechanics and what the various power-ups(?) mean. I just know I'm having a great time regardless. Will try this on a 3GS later, perhaps this is just a iTouch 4G thing as it seems to be having a few crashing issues of late, but devs need to take a look regardless; consistent crash bug shouldn't be difficult to fix hopefully.

Otherwise, I'm genuinely impressed here. A genuinely fresh take on Match-3 games(!), great atmosphere, really nice graphics and sound, and just a joy to play. It's easy to tell when a game's been given some love and it's clearly the case here.
11-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Yes, that's a known issue.. Unfortunately in our first update, it slipped in.. It is fixed in the submitted version.

The mechanics were originally slightly different.. You had certain levels of traps, and certain levels of items (it is still this way). (bats are the most difficult)

To obtains one item, you had to make a 3-chain to get the level 2 item.
That's not a problem.. However.. level 3 and 4 are pretty difficult that way.
a 5-chain (CHAIN REACTION!) really is difficult to get, even if you look at the queue in the bottom (you can see what's coming by looking at the corridor, or at the top of the screen)
We changed it because it was way too difficult, to the following: You still get item4 if you make a 5chain, but if there's a trap coming up, and you don't have that item yet, you get it anyway, if you have at least a 2-chain.

The powerups:
* the sun gives you 2 items
* ankh = full life
* scarab disspells the mummy

Thanks again for your positive feedback!
11-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Heck... Pitta and Gabrien recommend this? Seems like a must-buy for me.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
11-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Am I missing something, or does the game not save your progress?