★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: The Core HD - Awesome New Video

11-19-2010, 03:44 AM
#1
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 11
The Core HD - Awesome New Video

A new video for The Core actually showing the full game being played in its current state...
asteroid mining, combat, trading, missions, music, sounds.. its all here!

http://vimeo.com/16982073

Hope you enjoy I'd be happy to receive any feedback or answer any questions you have

Thanks guys
11-19-2010, 04:12 AM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfingers View Post
A new video for The Core actually showing the full game being played in its current state...
asteroid mining, combat, trading, missions, music, sounds.. its all here!

http://vimeo.com/16982073

Hope you enjoy I'd be happy to receive any feedback or answer any questions you have

Thanks guys
I like almost everything I saw and I have two questions.

Firstly, how much story is there when compared to Galaxy on Fire 2? Story with actual characters, dialogue, etc.

Secondly, what is the deal with the goofy run animation/avatar when exploring a planet on foot? It feels very out of place for the game, very cartoonish.

11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 11
Hey NaughtHere. Thanks for the comments,
The story I haven't written the full script yet but after playing galaxy on fire 2 yesterday all I can say is wow, that's a great game, really great, I wasn't planning on having spoken voiceovers for the story elements in my game but after seeing how much it adds I may very well try. I know a couple of guys that do that sort of work so as long as I can get it at an indie friendly price I may do this Until I play through the entire galaxy on fire I'm afraid I can't say for sure about the amount of story comparitively.
As for the second point I have had some feedback from others aswell that the planet exploration is the most boring looking part and I have scrapped the little character and am going to try for a lander jeep type thing that you can drive around instead and will also include some vegetation life forms and buildings to keep things interesting and give you more to explore / collect.
11-21-2010, 01:10 PM
#4
Wow, this looks impressive. It looks like it's going to consume a lot of time playing it.
Looking forward to it.
11-21-2010, 01:23 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfingers View Post
Hey NaughtHere. Thanks for the comments,
The story I haven't written the full script yet but after playing galaxy on fire 2 yesterday all I can say is wow, that's a great game, really great, I wasn't planning on having spoken voiceovers for the story elements in my game but after seeing how much it adds I may very well try. I know a couple of guys that do that sort of work so as long as I can get it at an indie friendly price I may do this Until I play through the entire galaxy on fire I'm afraid I can't say for sure about the amount of story comparitively.
As for the second point I have had some feedback from others aswell that the planet exploration is the most boring looking part and I have scrapped the little character and am going to try for a lander jeep type thing that you can drive around instead and will also include some vegetation life forms and buildings to keep things interesting and give you more to explore / collect.

I liked how the land looked. It seemed bump mapped? Could be wrong though.

I think planet exploration on foot could work.

Maybe do what Mass Effect 1 does

Use a vehicle to explore and mine, then if you get to an alien or industrial area, have that be on foot combat.

Vegetation, mission or quest structure,exploration and combat should all flow.

Even in the space part, you could have areas of hostile waves fly in on occasion.

Beta Tester for: iBlastMoki 2, Deadlock, Aralon: Sword & Shadow HD
Gameloft: Pacificsun81
Gamecenter: Pacificsun81
11-22-2010, 08:26 AM
#6
I'll be keeping tabs on this game, but is it obvious to anyone else that the ship models are straight out of Warp Gate (although, smoother looking)?
11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
#7
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificsun0481 View Post
I liked how the land looked. It seemed bump mapped? Could be wrong though.
The land isn't bump mapped, although that's cool you thought so. I'm using a home brewed vertex color effect where I check the value of the 4 surrounding vertices and apply varying levels of black to the vertex based on whether or not the surrounding 4 are higher or lower. Creates sort of an ambient occlusion effect on a larger scale and as its unlit its very cheap.

As for the vehicle choice, the jeep I'm using actually feels way more of a natural fit to the game now than the holo guy. Although performance is taking a hit as I'm trying to get some decent physics in there too. Will post an update when I optimize it and get it going proper