★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Have ads worked for anyone, anywhere?

11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Have ads worked for anyone, anywhere?

Just curious. I've been doing research on buying ads on the various review sites, and every post I see says that they did NOT see any sort of bump from ads.

Anyone have a different experience?

Code Critical LLC
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Not sure if you'll see this kind of stuff publicly, but it's not hard to find contact info for the people advertising on various sites and ask them directly. If there's one thing the indie iPhone community is great at, it's sharing information in tight knit circles. Something I will say though, like anything, advertising is only effective if you have a great product.

The dude behind this game had a pretty aggressive advertising campaign back in the day around here:

...And I really doubt it resulted in anything, because, well, look at the game. On the other hand, Archetype had a massive advertising push. They skinned basically every site and even advertised on Gizmodo and rocketed up to #1 on the charts seemingly overnight.

Advertising will get more eyes on your product, but it's up to you to make that product that people will want to buy.

11-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Geared hit #1 within a week of advertising on TouchArcade.
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Bryan:

Is this the only place you advertised? Did you do anything beside the TouchArcade ad?

We are thinking about the very same thing.

Melia

Code Critical LLC
11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeCritical View Post
Bryan:

Is this the only place you advertised? Did you do anything beside the TouchArcade ad?

We are thinking about the very same thing.

Melia
GotOATS.org is a great site to find review sites that offer advertising deals. There are also plenty of smaller review sites that offer great advertising deals for pennies on the dollar.

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoneprogrammer View Post
GotOATS.org is a great site to find review sites that offer advertising deals. There are also plenty of smaller review sites that offer great advertising deals for pennies on the dollar.
Ad sales are generally done by CPM, so the reason you're paying so little on some of those sites is because of how few impressions you're actually getting. Similarly, this is also why Gizmodo can command $20-30k per advertisement. I wouldn't really call advertising on a site no one reads for next to nothing a "deal"... Maybe a deal for the site owners, but not so much for the actual advertiser.
11-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to iFanzine
"I wouldn't really call advertising on a site no one reads for next to nothing a "deal"... Maybe a deal for the site owners, but not so much for the actual advertiser."

Hmm, no offence Hodapp, but I think it's only fair I come down on the side of these smaller sites that apparently no one bothers reading. Simple fact is a dev has the choice of using their advertising budget to run a single ad on one large site, or for a similar outlay, to display their banners on roughly 15-20 indie review sites, thus reaching a more diverse audience and getting the same, if not more, monthly impressions and clicks.

The latest iPhone & iPad games. Reviewed. iFanzine.com
"Awesome!"-StudioUFO "Very well written"-Foursaken Media "Cool, Love it!"-Bulkypix