★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Interested in Bluetooth multiplayer for SciFly II

03-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
Interested in Bluetooth multiplayer for SciFly II

With the announcement of Bluetooth multiplayer possibilities in 3.0, I can't help but start to consider adding it into SciFly II. However, doing so would make an already extremely large project that much bigger. So, I am wondering: how valuable would multiplayer be in a futuristic dogfighter to you?

A unique characteristic of the multiplayer would be that each player would fly in their own highly customized aircraft using parts they unlock in single-player.

I am also considering maybe releasing the singleplayer campaign first, then trying to add multiplayer later on. With the ne in-game transactions, it could be a paid expansion (just a possibility). This would make it easier to stay on on my current release scheduele.

I know many people dislike the idea of in-game transactions, but I suppose that type of thing could be comparable to an expansion pack of PC game (which are often paid for). I'm really not sure myself either way.

Anyone have any opinions on these matters?

Thanks,
Josh Rosen

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn
03-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
I think that multiplayer would definitely be an excellent idea. Just to note, the peer-to-peer capabilities may not necessarily be over bluetooth. If not, people like myself with iPod Touches won't be able to use it, and I do recall from the 3.0 announcement that iPod Touches could take advantage of it.

Either way, multiplayer would certainly add great depth to the game. I found the original game to be very fun, but lacking in depth. Since you've covered the new features like customizable aircraft and a proper campaign, I think that a multiplayer mode would add a whole lot of depth to a game. If you can make sure that the multiplayer runs smoothly and the graphics are at least as good as the pre-alpha vid you showed us, I could easily buy this game for up to $4.99, as long as multiplayer comes in the game or as a free update.

This is a bit off topic, but what I'm concerned about is that developers will start adding new content simply to gain revenue, and not just to make their games good. Let's take the example of Pocket God. The dev is obviously very active in his community, and has enjoyed much success because of it. If he charged for each new feature, the consumer base wouldn't be happy. Similarly, if you sell multiplayer separately from the game, it's really like selling it in two halves. What about people who want to buy if specifically for the multiplayer? If you want to charge for extra level packs then that's more like an expansion pack, but you don't see PC games where the basic multiplayer comes as paid DLC.

Yeah, so that's my opinion. Either way, I'll definitely buy SciFly II when it comes out. I liked the original very much. Keep it up.

Sierra275 on Gameloft Live, Openfeint, Gamecenter, and most other social gaming networks on the iTouch.

Last edited by Sierra275; 03-18-2009 at 05:11 AM.

03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply

As a developer, I was intrigued by the idea of in-game paid upgrades. But it is very clear to me that a large majority of people don't like that idea at all. As gamer, looking back, I've felt the same way about other games. I'm not sure I agree that in all cases it would discourage developers from releasing quality content. But, it does seem a little weird to make money such an important of playing a game. It should just be about having fun.

So yeah, I think at this point I've decided not to pursue the possibility of in-game transactions.

As far as multiplayer, I'll just have to see how development scheduling works out in the long-run.

Thanks again,
Josh Rosen

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn
03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I think multiplayer would be an excellent addition. If you could give the players the ability to decide what network they want to play on, be it wifi or bluetooth, you wouldn't be shutting out first generation product owners.
The multiplayer games should allow you to define rules, such as kill amount, time, and various other aspects. Maybe even multiplayer modes like CTF and team play.

I would be more than happy to pay $9.99 for only single player and then have multiplayer added later on as a standard free update. What I have seen of the game looks really good.

The main thing I missed from the original Sci-fly was the ability to edit the amount of points needed. I felt like I couldn't really control that aspect of the game enough.

It is really great to see devs taking advantage of the new features and coming to consumers for feedback. Good luck!
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
IT WOULDNT BE VALUABLE AT ALL BECAUSE I HAVE AN IPHONE 2G WHICH WONT HAVE BLUETOOTH DAMN IT. iPHONE 3G USERS GET SO MUCH MORE

I CAN'T WAIT TIL THE NEW IPHONE AHHHH I WANT IT SO BAD I'M PRETTY SURE I'M THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO STILL USES THE ORIGINAL IPHONE 2G.
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
multiplayer is only fun when there are lots of people playing it.

if you charge for it, no one will be playing it.

nuff said.

lol ur lucky, i only have ipod 1g
03-18-2009, 11:38 PM
NM miss read the post.

anyway I think multiplayer is a great idea and is something app store games seriously lack so far. I for one am not apposed to the add on idea, I think its worth a little extra as long as its a cheep price say .99

the main fear about in game sales is that devs will release sub par games in order to milk more money out of ppl with add ons that should have been in the game in the first place. and in fact i guarantee this will happen to some degree at least. But if its a quality game to begin with DLC is a good thing.

and then there are others here that are just plain cheep. like the ones that whine about a $5 game being to expensive... seriously have you gone to wall mart lately? yahh most app store games are not console quality but go take a look at gameboy games sometime and many app store games beat most of those in quality, for a community of iphone and ipod touch owners which are some of the most expensive gadgets out there, many of you are astoundingly cheep.

Last edited by kirothak; 03-18-2009 at 11:46 PM.
03-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashzed View Post
multiplayer is only fun when there are lots of people playing it.

if you charge for it, no one will be playing it.

nuff said.

lol ur lucky, i only have ipod 1g
I will be playing it. Even if it is just two players.
03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I would certainly play. I am just curious when people are playing wifi games with their iphone or itouch, how much more battery life the chat will use. Dont get me wrong......I already charge my iphone 3 times a day (at least!). But as a person who comes from online gaming, it would be amazing to play multiplayer games WITH chat.....from an iphone!

My Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/no-fury
Gaming Device: iPhone 6 - iPad Air 2
03-19-2009, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't have an issue with multi-player being an in-game add-on, as I would very likely not use it and if that helps keep the game cheaper (and on schedule), all the better. My concern with making it an in-game add-on, however, is whether the game itself would then require OS-3, or if OS-3 would only be required to purchase an add-on or use that version of multi-player. While some new OS-3 features look interesting, as an iPod Touch owner, I don't have enough interest to spend $10 for the upgrade. Of course, I also don't want to miss out on new games like this because of a single feature requiring OS-3, when the game might otherwise be compatible with OS-2.