★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: double video poker 1.1 update (6 new achievements)

11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
double video poker 1.1 update (6 new achievements)

Hi guys,

This is my first iphone app so I would love to hear any comments or suggestions.

twitter: @ileff

Double Video Poker gives you 2 video poker games in 1. The top deck is the most common variation "Jacks or Better". The bottom deck is "Joker Poker" with a wildcard Joker as the 53rd card in the deck.

Game Center (iOS4.1 devices)
. Beat your high score or compete against other players on the leaderboard.
. Earn achievements when you complete challenges!

If you think you would have a moment to rate the app take one of the promo codes below. There is a rate button in the info screen so it's super easy. I really appreciate it. Reply here to let others know the code is used up.

Ian Leff
11-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your support! Here is 4 more promo codes:

11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Last 4 codes:

11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
w00t aapl just approved the lite version of my app which is free:

it has a gamecenter leaderboard, have fun!

for those of you that don't like iAds, you can try the regular version which is only 99 cents and has 20 gamecenter achievements. in the spirit of thanksgiving here is 8 promo codes!

please reply to let others know a code is used up. (real reason is bump my thread, thanks!)
11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the promo code. I used HA7TXK3YJP7J.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
11-25-2010, 01:36 AM
It's nice to have a Video Poker simulator like this one to play/practice with. This game is very nicely designed to make everything simple and obvious. I enjoy playing it.

But, there is no explanation of the mechanics of the game or how to play it. The thing about Video Poker, I've just found out, is that the payouts vary depending on what kind of hand you have, so your goal is not just to get Jacks or better, and not just to get the best hand you can (because you're not playing against anyone), your goal is to maximize the payouts. In order to do that, you have to know, in advance, what the payouts are for each hand (i.e. a paytable). Then you can decide if it makes more sense to go for a straight flush, or to go for a high pair, for example. etc.

It would be nice if there was also an in-game explanation of the rules and at least a minor discussion of how to play most effectively.

Last edited by acrotran; 11-25-2010 at 01:40 AM.
11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Great feedback. I've been looking at retina graphics and universal app, but you have a good point: take care of the basics first. I figured that just about everybody that ran across my app would have played video poker already, but it turns out not to be the case.
12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
To celebrate that promo codes now work world-wide, here is some more codes:

12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I've been a poker player since high school, but I never even looked at video poker because I didn't know how it worked and I figured it would be a waste of time. But after I tried your game I came to realize it's actually a very entertaining pass-time, and if you know how to play, the house has only a very small advantage (theoretically), but only if the machine you're playing on has the most liberal paytable.