★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper war games played in the days before portable gaming devices which needed only a pencil, some paper and lots of imagination!

Charted #1 Strategy Game in 23 countries!

Control a fleet of planes, tanks and artillery units by taking turns to flick a pencil around a hand-drawn battlefield on a piece of paper, making long curve shots and strategic moves to try and outwit and out-skill your opponent.

MacReview.com - "The execution is what makes Lead Wars shine. Startlingly unique, a fabulous little game." 4.5/5
GamePro.com - iOS Game Of The Day - "Surprisingly deep", "From a strategic perspective, Lead Wars is a beautiful achievement." 4/5
TouchReviews.net - "You'll definitely love this game." 4/5
PadGadget.com - PadGadget Recommended! "Some battle are easily solved puzzles, while other start to feel more like chess games." 4/5
iPhone-Experience.com - "a brilliantly implemented game"
iTunes review - djflippy: "Lead Wars has a rare quality; the simulation is actually better than that which it simulates." 5/5

Note this is not your typical path-drawing game - this is a simulation of the real life game played with a real pencil.

The flick mechanic works just like it does in real life (try it!): Point a pencil straight down onto some paper, holding it by the top with just one finger. While pressing down firmly, slowly tilt the top of the pencil - beyond a critical angle the tip will suddenly slip away leaving a line drawn on the paper. This line determines your move or shot on the battlefield.

Lead Wars simulates this mechanic using the touch-screen as if you're touching the top of a real pencil. See videos of the real life game and Lead Wars in action: http://www.youtube.com/DemonStudiosLtd

Main Features:
Online Multiplayer - battle live or asynchronously*
2-player tabletop / pass 'n' play
Single-player vs-CPU
Single-player Campaign - rise up through the Army ranks
Map Creator - create your own battlefields
Instant Replays - replay all moves and shots in latest turn
26 Game Center Achievements (some secret!) + Leaderboards
Training missions and 150+ Campaign missions
Visual 'MoveAid' system and tips for beginners
16 built-in battlefields, store up to 75 custom maps
Have up to 25 local games on the go at once
Have up to 30 Asynchronous online games on the go
Highly configurable Game Setup
Choice of 4 paper styles + 3 pencil leads
Doodle graphics and verbal sounds - just like the real game!

* Online multiplayer requires Game Center. Asynchronous online play requires iOS 5.0 or later.

Technical Features:
Universal app supporting Retina Display
Share maps via the system Clipboard
Game Center turn alert push notifications*
Auto-rotating interface - play in any orientation
Allows iPod music in the background

* Turn alert sounds and settings can be controlled in Settings | Notifications | Game Center.

The best thing about playing Lead Wars on your iOS device though is you're not having to rub out your previous moves, there's no arguments whether a shot hit or not and no dangerous flying pencils! The physical dexterity required to make your move makes the game challenging but ultimately more fun and rewarding, particularly when you make that near-impossible curve shot around a wall to win the battle!

DemonJim's comments:

Note: YouTube link in description should show www.youtube.com/DemonStudiosOfficial

Actual in-game video showing gameplay, including Game Center live multiplayer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Video showing a REAL LIFE game of Lead Wars - to explain the crazy play mechanic!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Full Training Walkthrough:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Map Creator Demo:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Lead Wars Major Update Revision History:
v1.9 (Oct 14) - First Sergeant Campaign Missions + 1 New Map
v1.8 (Dec '13) - Master Sergeant Campaign Missions + 3 New Standard Maps
v1.7 (Dec '12) - Sergeant First Class Campaign Missions + 3 New Standard Maps
v1.6 (Sep '12) - New sticky note message system + Twitter integration
v1.5 (May '12) - Staff Sergeant Campaign Missions + full iPad Retina Display support
v1.4 (Mar '12) - Added Instant Replays
v1.3 (Nov '11) - Added Asynchronous online multiplayer
v1.2 (Jul '11) - Added single-player Campaign
v1.1 (Apr '11) - Added single-player vs-CPU and Map Creator
v1.0 (Nov '10) - Featured multiplayer only (local and Live online)

Hope you enjoy the game!
11-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Looks interesting. I'm a fan of turn-based strategy.

This game definitely needs a video.

Is it anything like SteamBirds?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
You're right about it needing a video - I will sort one out as soon as I can and post back. [Edit: Videos now above in first post]

I haven't played SteamBirds, but from the screenshots that looks like there's quite a lot of movement going on at once? This is a move-one-thing-at-a-time type game as it is simulating a real pencil+paper game. It does however smoothly animate the unit + bullet movement and the explosions (which you have to imagine in the paper version!), and the 3D pencil sliding on the page.

Last edited by DemonJim; 03-27-2012 at 04:03 PM.
11-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Looks really neat, but for $3, I'll wait for impressions.

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I remember playing a variation if this couple year ago.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
11-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I wasn't sure about the forum policy on promo codes - but from other posts it looks like it's OK to offer them on here.

So the next 5 people to reply to this thread bagsying one will have a (US-only) promo code PM'd to them!
11-19-2010, 05:13 PM
hey sweet! I'd like a code

Playing:|Roboto|Cordy|QuBit|Amazing Breaker|Awesome Saucer|Groove Coaster|Gesundheit!|
Favorites:|PoP:WW|Infinity Blade|World of Goo|Phoenix|Danmaku|PewPew2|Alien Space Retro|Battleheart|Gears| LGR2|iDaTank|PvZ|ME|To-Fu|Anodia|Lego HP|Fruit Ninja|I Dig It 2|Soosiz|
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to jwei44
Hey! Id like to try! I would like a code.s

Last edited by jwei44; 11-19-2010 at 05:24 PM.
11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I'd love a code!

EDIT: You're the dev - you are allowed to distribute codes in any way you wish. There is a forum section dedicated to this, but I have seen plenty of codes given out in all sections of the forums.

You should register as a developer to get an avatar and request access to the developer-only portion of the forums... (and of course add a link to your app in your signature block!)

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 11-19-2010 at 05:21 PM.
11-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Code please.