Universal Lead Wars - by DemonStudios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DemonJim, Nov 19, 2010.

1. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #1 DemonJim, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015

Lead Wars

DemonStudios
    Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper wa…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper war games played in the days before portable gaming devices which needed only a pencil, some paper and lots of imagination! • Charted #1 Strategy Game in 60 countries! Control a fleet of planes, tanks and artillery units by taking turns to flick a pencil around a hand-drawn battlefield on a piece of paper, making long curve shots and strategic moves to try and outwit and out-skill your opponent. Reviews: • "The execution is what makes Lead Wars shine. Startlingly unique, a fabulous little game." 4.5/5 - MacReview.com • "Surprisingly deep … from a strategic perspective, Lead Wars is a beautiful achievement” 4/5 - iOS Game Of The Day, GamePro.com • "Some battle are easily solved puzzles, while other start to feel more like chess games." 4/5 - PadGadget Recommended! PadGadget.com • "You'll definitely love this game." 4/5 - TouchReviews.net • If you're looking for a great game to play with friends, we suggest grabbing this one … it really shines on the iPad” - Amber Neely, MacNN.com • “A brilliantly implemented game" - iPhone-Experience.com • iTunes review - djflippy: "Lead Wars has a rare quality; the simulation is actually better than that which it simulates." 5/5 Note this is not your typical path-drawing game - this is a simulation of the real life game played with a real pencil. The flick mechanic works just like it does in real life (try it!): Point a pencil straight down onto some paper, holding it by the top with just one finger. While pressing down firmly, slowly tilt the top of the pencil - beyond a critical angle the tip will suddenly slip away leaving a line drawn on the paper. This line determines your move or shot on the battlefield. Lead Wars simulates this mechanic using the touch-screen as if you're touching the top of a real pencil. See videos of the real life game and Lead Wars in action: http://www.youtube.com/DemonStudiosOfficial Main Features: • Online Multiplayer - battle asynchronously or live real-time • 2-player tabletop / pass 'n' play • Single-player vs-CPU • Single-player Campaign - rise up through the Army ranks • Map Creator - create your own battlefields • Instant Replays - replay all moves and shots in latest turn • 27 Game Center Achievements • Game Center Leaderboards • Training missions and 250+ Campaign missions • Visual 'MoveAid' system and tips for beginners • 16 built-in battlefields, store up to 75 custom maps • Have up to 25 local games on the go at once • Have up to 30 Asynchronous online games on the go • Highly configurable Game Setup • Choice of 4 paper styles + 3 pencil leads • Doodle graphics and verbal sounds - just like the real game! Technical Features: • Universal app supporting Retina Display • Share maps via the system Clipboard • Game Center turn alert push notifications* • Auto-rotating interface - play in any orientation • Allows iPod music in the background * Turn alert sounds and settings can be controlled in Settings | Notifications | Game Center The best thing about playing Lead Wars on your iOS device though is you're not having to rub out your previous moves, there's no arguments whether a shot hit or not and no dangerous flying pencils! The physical dexterity required to make your move makes the game challenging but ultimately more fun and rewarding, particularly when you make that near-impossible curve shot around a wall to win the battle!
    Information
    Seller:DemonStudios
    Genre:Simulation, Strategy, Board
    Release:Nov 19, 2010
    Updated:Apr 02, 2022
    Version:2.1.2
    Size:22.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (10)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Note: YouTube link in description should show www.youtube.com/DemonStudiosOfficial

Actual in-game video showing gameplay, including Game Center live multiplayer:

Lead Wars Major Update Revision History:
    • v1.9 (Oct ’14) - First Sergeant Campaign Missions + 1 New Map
    • v1.8 (Dec '13) - Master Sergeant Campaign Missions + 3 New Standard Maps
    • v1.7 (Dec '12) - Sergeant First Class Campaign Missions + 3 New Standard Maps
    • v1.6 (Sep '12) - New sticky note message system + Twitter integration
    • v1.5 (May '12) - Staff Sergeant Campaign Missions + full iPad Retina Display support
    • v1.4 (Mar '12) - Added Instant Replays
    • v1.3 (Nov '11) - Added Asynchronous online multiplayer
    • v1.2 (Jul '11) - Added single-player Campaign
    • v1.1 (Apr '11) - Added single-player vs-CPU and Map Creator
    • v1.0 (Nov '10) - Featured multiplayer only (local and Live online)

Hope you enjoy the game!

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. I'm a fan of turn-based strategy.

This game definitely needs a video.

Is it anything like SteamBirds?

3. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #3 DemonJim, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    You're right about it needing a video - I will sort one out as soon as I can and post back. [Edit: Videos now above in first post]

I haven't played SteamBirds, but from the screenshots that looks like there's quite a lot of movement going on at once? This is a move-one-thing-at-a-time type game as it is simulating a real pencil+paper game. It does however smoothly animate the unit + bullet movement and the explosions (which you have to imagine in the paper version!), and the 3D pencil sliding on the page.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009

Lead Wars

DemonStudios
    Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper wa…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper war games played in the days before portable gaming devices which needed only a pencil, some paper and lots of imagination! • Charted #1 Strategy Game in 60 countries! Control a fleet of planes, tanks and artillery units by taking turns to flick a pencil around a hand-drawn battlefield on a piece of paper, making long curve shots and strategic moves to try and outwit and out-skill your opponent. Reviews: • "The execution is what makes Lead Wars shine. Startlingly unique, a fabulous little game." 4.5/5 - MacReview.com • "Surprisingly deep … from a strategic perspective, Lead Wars is a beautiful achievement” 4/5 - iOS Game Of The Day, GamePro.com • "Some battle are easily solved puzzles, while other start to feel more like chess games." 4/5 - PadGadget Recommended! PadGadget.com • "You'll definitely love this game." 4/5 - TouchReviews.net • If you're looking for a great game to play with friends, we suggest grabbing this one … it really shines on the iPad” - Amber Neely, MacNN.com • “A brilliantly implemented game" - iPhone-Experience.com • iTunes review - djflippy: "Lead Wars has a rare quality; the simulation is actually better than that which it simulates." 5/5 Note this is not your typical path-drawing game - this is a simulation of the real life game played with a real pencil. The flick mechanic works just like it does in real life (try it!): Point a pencil straight down onto some paper, holding it by the top with just one finger. While pressing down firmly, slowly tilt the top of the pencil - beyond a critical angle the tip will suddenly slip away leaving a line drawn on the paper. This line determines your move or shot on the battlefield. Lead Wars simulates this mechanic using the touch-screen as if you're touching the top of a real pencil. See videos of the real life game and Lead Wars in action: http://www.youtube.com/DemonStudiosOfficial Main Features: • Online Multiplayer - battle asynchronously or live real-time • 2-player tabletop / pass 'n' play • Single-player vs-CPU • Single-player Campaign - rise up through the Army ranks • Map Creator - create your own battlefields • Instant Replays - replay all moves and shots in latest turn • 27 Game Center Achievements • Game Center Leaderboards • Training missions and 250+ Campaign missions • Visual 'MoveAid' system and tips for beginners • 16 built-in battlefields, store up to 75 custom maps • Have up to 25 local games on the go at once • Have up to 30 Asynchronous online games on the go • Highly configurable Game Setup • Choice of 4 paper styles + 3 pencil leads • Doodle graphics and verbal sounds - just like the real game! Technical Features: • Universal app supporting Retina Display • Share maps via the system Clipboard • Game Center turn alert push notifications* • Auto-rotating interface - play in any orientation • Allows iPod music in the background * Turn alert sounds and settings can be controlled in Settings | Notifications | Game Center The best thing about playing Lead Wars on your iOS device though is you're not having to rub out your previous moves, there's no arguments whether a shot hit or not and no dangerous flying pencils! The physical dexterity required to make your move makes the game challenging but ultimately more fun and rewarding, particularly when you make that near-impossible curve shot around a wall to win the battle!
    Information
    Seller:DemonStudios
    Genre:Simulation, Strategy, Board
    Release:Nov 19, 2010
    Updated:Apr 02, 2022
    Version:2.1.2
    Size:22.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (10)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Looks really neat, but for $3, I'll wait for impressions. :eek:

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I remember playing a variation if this couple year ago.

6. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I wasn't sure about the forum policy on promo codes - but from other posts it looks like it's OK to offer them on here.

So the next 5 people to reply to this thread bagsying one will have a (US-only) promo code PM'd to them!

7. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    hey sweet! I'd like a code :D

8. jwei44

jwei44 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    High School Graduating
    California
    #8 jwei44, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Hey! Id like to try! I would like a code.s

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #9 drelbs, Nov 19, 2010
    I'd love a code! :)

EDIT: You're the dev - you are allowed to distribute codes in any way you wish. There is a forum section dedicated to this, but I have seen plenty of codes given out in all sections of the forums.

You should register as a developer to get an avatar and request access to the developer-only portion of the forums... (and of course add a link to your app in your signature block!)

10. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Code please.

11. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    #11 veecheech, Nov 19, 2010
    I'd love one as well!

I used to play this on paper YEARS ago and it is something I've been hoping would be created for the iDevice.

12. jwei44

jwei44 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    High School Graduating
    California
    This game should have play against comuter

13. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #13 DemonJim, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    You're totally right - I am currently working on the vs-CPU play and this will be added in a future update.

[Edit: vs-CPU play against the computer was added in v1.1]

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Game Impressions

Thank you for the code! :)

Initial impressions are positive - graphics are nice, sounds are of the mouth-made variety and fit in well.

Control is fine, tap to select a unit, again to switch between moving and firing. You draw away from the angle you want to move/shoot and optionally swipe back quickly for a "long shot" which you can curve.

Only gripe so far is that unless I am missing something, you have to move a fixed distance every time (unless you stop short due to bumping into something).

I bet this would be a total blast on an iPad, sometimes it is a little cramped on my iPhone (having to scroll back to my unit so I can draw away from it).

15. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Thanks for the great feedback! You can move shorter distances by releasing soon after the pencil starts to slide - when shooting though this can easily result in blowing yourself up, so be careful :)

It unfortunately only tells you this if you make a totally dud shot (ie release immediately after it slips) so I may need to rethink some of the Training text. I really tried to keep the Training word-count to a minimum but it's still a bit wordy maybe. It needs to explain a lot of things though so not easy to keep it to single sentences.

This is version 1.0 and I'm committed to doing lots of free updates for it so all feedback from players will hopefully evolve it to be even better. I want to get a Map Editor in there at some point too, as well as the much-needed vs-CPU mode for those without Game Center.

cheers,
    Jim

16. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This is a great idea and the game looks good. Played the analog version a lot when I was a kid. Thank you for not calling this Doodle Lead Wars.

17. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    An update went live today (v1.0.1) which should fix the Leaderboard issue many people have had with v1.0. It also has some tweaks and minor bug fixes and adds images to the Achievement popup.

I'm working hard to make this game even better and can only do it with your continued support, so if you enjoy the game but wished more people were playing online then please help me spread the word py posting your thoughts and the iTunes link (see first post) to your Facebook and Twitter feeds - imagine how great it would be if there was always somebody searching for an online battle whenever you fancied a go!

So I have another 10 promo codes up for grabs for those who missed out previously and are still undecided whether to give it a try. Claim your code now!

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I'd love to give this nice looking strategy game a try, I'll leave you feedback here and on itunes.

19. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Ack! I forgot to post my review. Will do so tonight.

I love this game.

20. OrangePanda

OrangePanda Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    This looks like a fun strategy game, love the art style. I would like to have a code please.