★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

HELP!!!! Iphone apps much larger than they really are when sync...

11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
HELP!!!! Iphone apps much larger than they really are when sync...

Hi there,

I'm having a really huge problem here. So the problem is, that when i sync my apps to my iPhone 4, the apps size appears to be larger than they really are. What i mean, in this case and example, is: I updated The Settlers for iPhone, and the file size is 266MB, but when i connect my iPhone 4 and choose the apps i want to sync in iTunes, the filezise of The settlers appears to be 700+ MB. What is the problem here? is this happening with anyone too? this happened with other apps too, when i sync, the filesize appears to be much much larger than it is, and my phone become with almost no empty memory in an instant...
11-21-2010, 02:33 PM
There's no problem. They are compressed archives.

11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
GTA is 600+, but the download is 200+ - they are compressed like zip files then expanded and installed when opened.
11-21-2010, 02:41 PM
thank you very much for your help... i was becoming crazy with this and i couldn't find help anywhere, even in the apple forums. This is wrong information from developpers... and i don't remember this happening in my old iPhone 3G, but i see that simcity deluxe is 30 Mb larger in iphone than in itunes too
11-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Quoting a developer that just answered this same question today:

Originally Posted by wefiends View Post
Originally Posted by ipod_david View Post
I have a question: sushi boy is dated with 40+ some MB in the appstore.
My iTunes shows 150+MB, WHAT ?!? Why? Can anyone explain this to me, I am trying to get some space for my DDP update!?!!?!?
The 43.5mb size that's listed on the app store is the size of the download. The install size is different and varies greatly depending on what's inside the compressed package.

Apps (games in particular) are only getting bigger. Universal apps like ours now have to graphics for three different resolutions (iPad, iPhone 4, and a low res version for older devices). If we ever see a retina display iPad...

Twitter: @Zincous
11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
so, the install files are much bigger than package files in my iphone 4 than iphone 3G because the hardware is diferent?

So, the answer to my question is:

Powerfull hardware = bigger and better graphics = Bigger install filesize than original package filesize,

DinoHardware = Small and poor graphics = Big or equal install filesize than original package filesize.

Is this right? in the same file/game/program?
11-21-2010, 03:13 PM
They're not different..if you got to iTunes and go to the app screen where you choose what you want to sync, you'll see the expanded file size. The developers aren't 'lying' since they're posting the download size of the file.
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
i understant that, what i mean is that i download a package with x MB. When i sync it, depending on wich hardware i'm installing, the bigger is the install filesize. So if i install in iphone 3G, it probably will be a smaller install than if i was installing in my iphone 4, that probably will install HD graphics. right?
11-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Would anyone else like to repeat my answer?
11-21-2010, 03:51 PM
My first three words in the Previous post stated that they will be the same if it's the same game for any device..