★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What makes Creeps and Fieldrunners so good?

11-22-2010, 06:54 AM
What makes Creeps and Fieldrunners so good?

I am a big fan of the Tower Defense Genre, I could go into a lot of detail about resource management, strategy, trial and error based learning curve etc.

I have been doing some reading, trying to find the best Tower Defense games around, more specifically on the iPhone/iPod, but not limited to.

Two games that kept popping up as the "BEST" TD games on the iOS device were The Creeps and Fieldrunners. I have both these games, and they are far from my favorite.

Fieldrunners was great to start with, it was the first open field TD I played, and the concept of not placing your towers along a fixed path was refreshing. Though I found games to go for too long and interest to be lost quickly. To be honest, I haven't got far into the game, and perhaps this is why I haven't enjoyed it as much as other people.

As for The Creeps, I adore the idea. Defending your sleeping owner from his night terrors. It's Cute. It's a shame that this thematical concept doesn't have a strong presence through out the game (think PvZ). I am finding it rather challenging, but not quite interesting enough to keep me playing at every spare moment. I think the only reason I am still playing it, is so I can finish it and put it under my belt and move on to something better.

For a comparison, my favorite TD game son the iPhone are so far: GeoDefense: It was my first, I loved it. Still haven't finished it, had to start again multiple times due to new phones.
Plants vs Zombies: Interesting twist on the game play, unlockables, huge variety. (though since finishing it, I haven't played it other than to show friends)

This discussion is open to all TD type games, not limited to the iOS devices, but preferably more focused on. Also, I would love for someone to reply with some selling appoints about the two games in the title. Am I missing something about these games? Or have I just played better?
11-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Two words: personal preference.

I own a load of TD on idevice, including all you've mentioned, but my absolute fave (apart from PvZ) are Defender Chronicles and ElementalMonster TD. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy the ones you mentioned.

11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Send a message via ICQ to rogerchiu Send a message via MSN to rogerchiu Send a message via Skype™ to rogerchiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
Two words: personal preference.

I own a load of TD on idevice, including all you've mentioned, but my absolute fave (apart from PvZ) are Defender Chronicles and ElementalMonster TD. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy the ones you mentioned.
Yep... DC & DC ipad is my fav too. Coming Sentinel 3 is also great.

Beta Tested: 34 apps and games.
My Blog
11-22-2010, 07:35 AM
My TD favourites are PvsZ and Epic War TD.

Heavy Devil is my latest game, check it out! AppStore GooglePlay
11-22-2010, 07:56 AM
i think that their simplicity, not many towers and passive upgrades has some appeal. also nice visuals are key to success. however i bought them but deleted it very soon, because of these reasons, such games are too basic. there are more advanced and clever td games in the appstore. and another very important point, these games were one of the first td games for iphone, that's big point (doodle jump, flight control etc).

Last edited by eev; 11-22-2010 at 07:58 AM.
11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I love both the games you have mentioned. Great bright colourful visuals.
I also really enjoy playing GeoDefense Swarm. Same kind of visuals as Geodefence but they don't come on a pre determined path.

I was addicted to Savaged Moon on the PS3 for a while.

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I was really hoping to generate an intense discussion about TD games, and have many people reply telling me exactly why Creeps and Fieldrunners are the best in technical terms.
11-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm guessing you haven't been around too often.
11-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I'm guessing you haven't been around too often.
What gave it away? Was it the massive 29 posts I have under my belt?
11-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Fieldrunners was one of the first games I got on my iPod Touch, and I got Creeps a while ago while it was free. Both are good games (and I am a huge fan of TD games, spent a ridiculous amount of time playing them in Warcraft 3), but they aren't really "the best" TD games I've played. I would probably recommend Fieldrunners if someone asked for a good TD, but there are definitely better. It's all just personal preference.