★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Future of the app store and apps with DLC.

03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Future of the app store and apps with DLC.

Soo what are your thoughts on the future app store and apps inside ot with DLC?

I'm concerned cause paying 99 cents for a app with nothing then paying for DLC just to get a decent app...

BUT hopfully developers wont abuse it abd will come to there sences. I think the app store could be ruined

Just my 2 cents
03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Another thread on this? We don't even know what apple will restrict for the DLC yet. It may be a rarer feature for only big apps or used for updates? We have no way of knowing, and we have no basis for frustration over the DLC option. It could be really nice. For example, it could let player pick which direction they want a game to take to blend to their tastes (different themes, etc). I am holding off on any opinions for now.

I am the managing editor of nodpad.com.

Sporting an iPod Touch 2 Gen

03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
Another thread on this? We don't even know what apple will restrict for the DLC yet. It may be a rarer feature for only big apps or used for updates? We have no way of knowing, and we have no basis for frustration over the DLC option. It could be really nice. For example, it could let player pick which direction they want a game to take to blend to their tastes (different themes, etc). I am holding off on any opinions for now.
By DLC, you mean In-App Purchases?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what DLC stands for

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletDev View Post

In this case I think they mean all the implications of downloadable content.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
I wonder if you can download DLC for free on a JB iPod?
03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Quote:

DLC= in-app purcahes
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
My parents' credit card will cry.

Playing: Undead Vampire: 239404497/kiwi91@rocketmail.com MGS Touch, Let's Golf, G.I. Joyride, Space Ninja, Scoops, Textropolis, Hanoi, Agency Wars 5958, Watchmen, Flick Fishing, Light Jockey, GeoDefense, SkyForce Reloaded, Supermarket Mania, Zen Bound, Edge, Sway, 7 Cities, The Creeps!, iDracula, ExZeus, Tap Tap Revenge 2
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHrox View Post
In this case I think they mean all the implications of downloadable content.
:P Ohh. I see, just never though of saying it that way.

I personally don't think this is going to be that big of a problem, so everyone, please stop whining! For most, it will be an advantage, a few select applications will primarily be cheaper thanks to this continued payment option.

I have a feeling that NFS is being delayed because of this, and won't be coming out until this summer. They probably didn't want to delay it by 6 months because we didn't know the reason, by extending the release to March, we know why they had to wait. Damn EA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscal View Post
I wonder if you can download DLC for free on a JB iPod?
That would be illegal. I'm pretty sure you can get banned for considering/mentioning piracy on the boards.

Last edited by BulletDev; 03-18-2009 at 08:07 PM.
03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
please arn, we need to be able to delete our own posts!

03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Quote:
That would be illegal. I'm pretty sure you can get banned for considering piracy on the boards.
She said she wondered...not considered.

Playing: Undead Vampire: 239404497/kiwi91@rocketmail.com MGS Touch, Let's Golf, G.I. Joyride, Space Ninja, Scoops, Textropolis, Hanoi, Agency Wars 5958, Watchmen, Flick Fishing, Light Jockey, GeoDefense, SkyForce Reloaded, Supermarket Mania, Zen Bound, Edge, Sway, 7 Cities, The Creeps!, iDracula, ExZeus, Tap Tap Revenge 2