★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: AirCoaster 3D 2.0 with track editor!

03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
AirCoaster 3D 2.0 with track editor!

We heard all of you loud and clear: You asked for a track editor, so we gave you one.

Today Apple approved AirCoaster 3D 2.0 (was SkyCoaster 3D - had to change the name for trademark reasons - see here), a very significant update for us: It now has a multi-touch 3D track editor that lets you create new roller coaster tracks from scratch or edit any track you've saved in the past.

I suggest starting out by editing an auto-generated track to get a feel for how the segments connect together. The video below demonstrates how to build a simple track from scratch:

Youtube link | Pop Up

I've tried the best I could to create something usable given the limitations of the iDevice, but I really could use your feedback to make AirCoaster an even better sim, so please post any questions or suggestions you have here. Or better still, if you've designed something cool with the editor (like spell rude words or draw naughty shapes), please post screencaps.

Coming in 2.1 - upload your tracks and download tracks created by others!
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Sweet thanks for the heads up!
This is the best Rollercoaster sim ever for iphone.

03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
someone started a thread on this earlier here
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=7406

but lets make this the official one since ziconic posted

hurray for version 2.0!!!
03-19-2009, 01:08 AM
is it just me or is that almost the same engine (for editing) as softserve

Drunk Stowaway on the Front page Tugboat! Join Here!
Beta Tested: Parallelus, Koala Dartz, Never ending Defending, Golden Sun, Secret app (x2), Earth Vs. Moon, Somba app, Copa! Shameless copying of Kamazar's Sig
iFallout Incident 09/ THE SEARCH FOR THE WATER FILTER! EPIC!/The Craigslist Event
03-19-2009, 01:14 AM
yes i believe it does use the same softserve engine. nothing wrong with it. it works wonders!!
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Since this is now the official thread I figured I better get in on it too. I haven't tried the 2.0 update yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

This is more of a general statement, but since it applies to Ziconic as well I thought I'd share it here. It really impresses me how much effort some of the iPhone developers have been willing to put into their apps once released, even though they may only be getting 99 cents or $1.99 or whatever for them. In the years that I was into playing Pocket PC games, I saw so many games come out for $10-$20 that were lucky sometimes to see bug fixes let alone additional content. Kudos to the iPhone developers for being dedicated to their products.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
i agree with pointoflight. i hope more and more developers realize the importance of updates and follow ziconic's (dev of aircoaster) good example!

anyways..in the other unofficial thread, Seishu made a quick guide:
http://tinyurl.com/EditGuide
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer513 View Post
anyways..in the other unofficial thread, Seishu made a quick guide:
http://tinyurl.com/EditGuide
Whoa that's an awesome guide! Which other thread are you referring to? One other thing I'd add is that the shading of the selected segment shows you the direction of the segment -- the segment travels from dark to light. I found it to be quite useful when editing a complex track and you lose track of which way the path is going.

Btw thanks so much for the encouragement and support, guys. It is definitely worthwhile for devs like us to continue to update our apps. The Apple iTunes model is great -- it allows us to improve our product continually in response to user feedback, just like the folks who run websites!
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
is it just me or is that almost the same engine (for editing) as softserve
See I told you guys that we weren't exactly wasting our time with SoftServe.
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziconic View Post
Which other thread are you referring to?
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...?t=7406&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziconic View Post
I'd add is that the shading of the selected segment shows you the direction of the segment -- the segment travels from dark to light.
oh yes thats a great idea!