★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Ducktastic - Would love feedback...

11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Ducktastic - Would love feedback...

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I just launched our first game (Ducktastic) on Friday 19th October. Neither of us have done anything like this before, and as a result, we think we might have been concentrating our efforts in the wrong places. Specifically the gameplay. I think we're a little too emotionally attached to the project, and really need some independent advice.

I would really appreciate any constructive feedback that you could give us. We think we might have the basics of a good game, but on reflection of putting it in the store we're now having second thoughts. As we've never done this before and don't really know anybody who has, we didn't really get much feedback aside from the programmers we hired.

We have promo codes, and will gladly give them out in return for constructive feedback. We don't need to know that the game sucks or that we should just give up, but if you could help point us in the right direction, that would be fantastic and we would be eternally grateful. Please PM me for the promo codes.

To tell you a bit about the game:

Our game's a little bit different, as it uses your location to render your time and weather in the gameplay and graphics. Whilst this isn't the most groundbreaking idea, we thought it could be an interesting feature. The artwork is also hopefully quite nice as its all been hand painted.

If you could help and give us some constructive feedback, we would be really grateful.

Thank you.

Here's the iTunes text:

Ducktastic is a fantastic retro game for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

☆If I had an iPhone, Id definitely buy it! - Dave*
The only game using the real weather around you.

Unfortunately for you, ducks are tasty. You were shot and captured, taken from your family, but you escaped becoming a main course at the local restaurant. Now you've just got to get home to the safety of your nature reserve.

Along the way, you'll have to eat to survive. It's a long journey, however there's plenty of bugs flying past to eat, but beware the one which stings!

The hunters aren't pleased you escaped. They want flesh. Your flesh. Cooked! So, expect to be shot at. A lot.

Ducktastic is both fun and addictive, harking back to the games you played as a child. Pilot your duck through 18 levels and stages in this beautiful game with exquisite hand painted graphics and great game play. Eat the bugs, dodge the bullets and do everything you can, not to end up on the restaurant menu. By using your local time and weather conditions in the game, it offers something different each time you play. With wind direction and speed affecting your flight, and with rain, clouds, night and more, it's ever changing and ever challenging.

Features include:

☆ 18 levels/stages through 6 exquisite regions
☆ Beautiful artwork with hand painted backgrounds
☆ Weather FX**; each time you play it could be different***
☆ Automatic day and night time modes

The relevant links:

11-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Fun game

Looks good , hope you have much success in your game.

11-24-2010, 06:37 PM
it's a refreshing change for a vertical scroller.

id be interested in playing it and can give some feedback if you'd like
11-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the offer... I've just PM'd you a promo code.
11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Krehol Games - would you like a code so you can have a look?

Really, at this stage all thought are welcome.
11-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm interested in trying it out - the idea of using your current weather/time is interesting. I'd be happy to provide whatever feedback I can.
11-24-2010, 10:05 PM
secondtime - I've just PM'd you a promo code...

Thanks for offering to have a look.
11-25-2010, 04:54 AM
anyone of you guys who say the game looks interesting and want to give feedback should spend that one dollar and not take promo codes.. its not like this is a 50$ game..

if someone wants to help you can do it with a dime and your opinion..

@ves: handing out promo codes to anyone won't help you usualy and mostly doesnt get you anywere.

anyway good luck with your game
11-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Hi mr.Ugly - Thanks for the reply. To be honest at this stage we really just need some constructive feedback, thus the promo codes are fine. Also, we're in Croatia, and don't really know that many people in the states. Those we do we do know are having difficulty rating and reviewing the game, they think they're doing us a favour by just using the code.

The reason behind our doubts is because we were previewed on "touch-my-apps"* and the journalist contacted us. We had some dialogue, sent them a promo code, and from the flurry stats, they've played one session only for a few seconds, and we haven't heard from them since. I've a feeling that they hated the game. Hence we started having second thoughts.

We know our game isn't the greatest, but it was the best we could do with our budget (we're self funded and not programmers). As this is our first time time doing anything like this, we could just really do with the constructive feedback with how to make it better.

Don't suppose you'd like to take a look? PM me.

Thanks, Vesna

*note, I can't seem to paste the link to the preview, because the site is blocked by Toucharcade.

Last edited by ves; 11-25-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: URL was broken. And typo.
11-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Great concept regarding the weather change and the graphics and app description look/sound decent to me. My only question would be why feature such testimonials/impressions in both the app store description and your website?
“If I had an iPhone, I’d definitely buy it!” - Dave (Sorry, how is this actually helping me?)
“Games good... but the name’s rubbish!” - Ivana (Why on Earth would you feature such a comment? )

Maybe most people skim through these without noticing, but it really caught my eyes and didn't send me any positive impressions. I'd suggest you remove them until someone (maybe even from this forum) has something of value to say.

Keep up the good work.

My games: Aeterius: Contact Wars ($0.99), BUMPscape (FREE)
Follow me on Twitter: @crystalapps
Like Crystal Apps on Facebook!