★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

All of this waiting...

11-26-2010, 07:06 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,352
All of this waiting...

So, here is my own personal opinion. Maybe some of you will feel the same, while others will not.

I'd like to start by asking a simple question.

Why are certain developers not wanting to give basic info to the audience whom will be purchasing their game?

Release dates or purchase pricing, as examples.

They share certain game details and communicate with us, which is greatly appreciated. I do appreciate that interactivity. What I cant understand, is why they refuse (after waiting over a year in some cases) to even allow us look forward to a date or a price. We're the ones whom will be rewarding their work with our dollars.

It's not about entitlement. It's about simple basic info, that should be given.

I'm not a developer, maybe I just don't understand. If I were, I would definitely give as much info as people wanted. As long as it were plot spoiler free.

I guess, as I get older I translate the games space to politics, in a way. I just want honesty and transparency, I don't understand why things need to be so secretive. Especially release dates.

I just had to vent. The anticipation of the big late November/December titles is getting to me. Few of them are giving any concrete release info. I don't like looking forward wondering "is this the week?" and then feeling let down when it's not...then waiting and let down again. I don't like being strung along.

I'm talking about titles that are on the verge of release.

Sorry if I'm sounding too negative. I just hope I'm not the only one.

Beta Tester for: iBlastMoki 2, Deadlock, Aralon: Sword & Shadow HD
Gameloft: Pacificsun81
Gamecenter: Pacificsun81
11-26-2010, 07:12 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
You should step outside, enjoy the fresh air for a second, maybe take a jog or something, it might help ease your anxiety.

11-26-2010, 07:34 PM
#3
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 7,681
I totally agree with what you say. And don't be afraid to say ARALON SWORD AND SHADOW(no offense Josh). They really should give us more info. About time someone said something. I applaud you for that.
11-26-2010, 07:45 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilo View Post
You should step outside, enjoy the fresh air for a second, maybe take a jog or something, it might help ease your anxiety.
You're half right, but when we are posting on specialised forums, we tend to save patronising comments...

As I said on a different thread, nobody is staring at a wall in a dark room waiting for some games to be release, we just like to speculate because, for some people (like you, me and Pacific), we started to enjoy games as much as we enjoy it's market.

I really believe that it's the time that you realise that you care for games as much as you care about it's philosophy and market aspect of digital and interactive entertainment.

Regarding you Thread start, Pacific, you can't judge softhouses. They have to produce the buzz, start the hype, and sometimes the last line of code will be written hours, or minutes, before they apply it to Apple.

I don't know if you work in software development at all, but everybody in this field knows that several weeks before the "release date" you start to work nights, holidays, weekends in order to meet the company's established release date. That's why they don't define a release date, unless the project is really tight with it's planning.

Regarding prices, this is an area that I don't know... As you, I can only speculate... And I think that they check the market until the day of release to set the price.

Games are a kind of commodity that people don't NEED... It's not like food or shelter. So, what defines the price of a game is basically the offer/demand factor. Believe me, if they detect that a lot of people demands their game, and the offer for something similar is very low, they put the prices up... Just check the games related to licenses... Ignore this week sale, but do you think you can compare a DS port like Harry Potter to Monopoly or Scrabble? I don't think so... But those licensed board games had their price high for almost the whole year...

Just some thoughts... Share yours!

Last edited by meatz666; 11-26-2010 at 07:55 PM.
11-26-2010, 08:04 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
Well first of all, they may not know a specific release date. It's hard to say we'll be done working on it and have it ready for release on such and such a date. Delays happen. I'm sure you'd be just as upset if they said a release date of say 12/07, and then it doesn't come out because of unforeseen problems. Another reason is perhaps strategic; why let others devs know when your game is going to come out when they can try and rush theirs to the market?

As for pricing, well with only a few exceptions it's going to be 9.99 or under, so there's no big deal.

Let the devs do their job and stop worrying about things out of your control.
I know absolutely f*** all about app development or marketing, but I did learn a little bit about it playing Game Dev Story lol. It would piss me off so much when I was in development of a game and another studio decided to rush their title to the market that was similar to mine!
11-26-2010, 08:15 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilo View Post
I know absolutely f*** all about app development or marketing, but I did learn a little bit about it playing Game Dev Story lol. It would piss me off so much when I was in development of a game and another studio decided to rush their title to the market that was similar to mine!
Totally... as much as pissed me off when Gameloft (sorry, I hate them) released a "space sim" one week before Galaxy on Fire 2...

Sorry, but don't you guys think that Gameloft is like the dinosaur in the market? They are here since J2ME games, releasing half-baked versions of console titles during a time that mobile gaming were "No man's land"... Now their games to me are so predictable and boring... Check their Prince of Persia/s, Assassin's Creed/s games...
11-26-2010, 09:00 PM
#7
I think devs should at the least give a release window. If we're not informed we forget about it,

Currently playing Infinity Blade
Add me on Game Center! rottenappleipad
11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatz666 View Post
Totally... as much as pissed me off when Gameloft (sorry, I hate them) released a "space sim" one week before Galaxy on Fire 2...

Sorry, but don't you guys think that Gameloft is like the dinosaur in the market? They are here since J2ME games, releasing half-baked versions of console titles during a time that mobile gaming were "No man's land"... Now their games to me are so predictable and boring... Check their Prince of Persia/s, Assassin's Creed/s games...
I'm talking about the game Game Dev Story hahahah
11-26-2010, 09:20 PM
#9
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilo View Post
I'm talking about the game Game Dev Story hahahah
I know... And in the same way on Game Dev Story they would release a same genre game 1 month before your killer game, Gameloft did the same thing with Star Battalion/Galaxy on Fire 2...

Are you new to iOS gaming whatsoever???
11-26-2010, 09:26 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,352
I enjoyed the post with relation to dev. Story, that's a damn fine game.

On to the topic of this thread...

Here's the conundrum. I have plenty to spend on the games I'm looking forward to. However, many gamers on the forum will not. Let's say gamer A is really looking forward to Aralon, which has no release window other than a coy "soon...." so then, Nova 2 releases and then Infinity Blade releases. Gamer A then buys both of those titles. Aralon then releases, even though Gamer A may have wanted Aralon more than the other 2 - Gamer A has no money left. That's one less sale toward Aralon, and it could be many others.

All because they refuse to give at, the very least, a release window.

It could be as simple as "watch you calendar for the third week of December"

These are all hypotheticals, but I'm getting peeved.

These are my dollars, I am willing to exchange for their goods. I don't see why info is so sparse. It's the complete opposite of the console and pc space. Those games have firm release dates, and when they can't make that date, they then issue a new one.

I'm sure part of that has to do with fiscal quarters and earnings statements...

Sigh.

I'm just trying to vent my frustration. Only because I've been more fond lately, of iPad gaming vs. my 360. Therefore I'm looking forward to some of these titles and feel so in the dark.

I even asked repeatedly on the Aralon thread, without so much as a response whether the iPad version will launch alongside the iPhone version, mainly because in the beta thread Josh mentioned that the iPad beta wasn't ready.

Here is a perfect example of a developer I will support, by purchasing their game. Because the game looks good and I applaud their transparency:

Hooga developer replied in the thread to my question:


"Hi Guys,

I'm happy to see a lot of good feedbacks about our game!

The game will release 2nd December for all iPhone devices and iPad.

Don't miss to see our facebook page and to follow Hooga on twitter

FOLLOW US: http://twitter.com/iQuilibrium
FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/Hooga/
OFFICIAL PAGE: http://hooga.iquilibriumstudios.com"


"Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificsun0481
Thank you for being candid. Any idea on pricing?
Chillingo is the main manager of the prices.
I think that at the launch the prices will be very low..."

Beta Tester for: iBlastMoki 2, Deadlock, Aralon: Sword & Shadow HD
Gameloft: Pacificsun81
Gamecenter: Pacificsun81